Search

3 Days in Cairo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Candace

3 Days in Cairo?

I will be in Cairo for 3 days in early May. I'm looking for what you recommend as the best things to see/do as well as what the dress code is? Any other tips? re: Visas, Great restaurants, etc? Thanks for the help!<BR><BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Dina

Hi Candace,<BR>I have this type of information and photos on my webpages: www.costumegoddess.com/travelog.htm<BR>There are six Cairo pages.<BR>You will need a tourist Visa, and although you can get one when you arrive, it's better to order it in advance through the Egyptian Embassy or Consulate, which is here in the U.S. It costs about $15. <BR>A knowledgeable English-speaking guide/driver (like ours) is the key to having a stellar experience, I think, otherwise Cairo is confusing to the first time visitor.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Dan

Apart from the usuals, check out the Coptic section of town. Very interesting area, with a different aspect from the rest of Egypt.<BR><BR>Don't count on great food, although "the Fish Market" a restaraunt on a boat is pretty good for basic grilled fish.

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Polly

I was in Egypt last year with a group and one of the women wore shorts and a halter while shoping in Cairo. Some Egyptian men grabbed at her even though her husband was with her. I don't say this to criticize the Egyptians (they were very nice), but shorts and halter tops are not culturally acceptable in Egypt.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
ellen

Absolutely be sure to see Coptic area; it is often missed. The Gayer Anderson House, near the mosque of Ibn Tulun, is excellent. Lunch at the Marriott is great, the hotel offers Egyptian food, and the restaurant is really not a tourist attraction. If you can get to the Zamalek District, there are lots of good shops and many restaurants serving Arab food. Hope this isn't too late. Ellen