Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > What clothes to pack for 10 days in Botswana in Mid-May?

What clothes to pack for 10 days in Botswana in Mid-May?

Apr 12th, 2002, 05:30 PM
n

What clothes to pack for 10 days in Botswana in Mid-May?

Going to a couple of reserves in Botswana in mid-May and can only take 26 lbs. What to take? Will we need rain gear? Sweatshirts? Pants or maybe shorts? Any help appreciated!

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:48 PM
jaco

Take a good sun screen SPF 30 or more. Use both sunscreen and lipbalm for the lips. In May the sun could still be hot.

Take a nice sweater or 2, at night time it could get cold, take a scarf for morning or early evening game drives.

Perhaps 2 pair of shorts, 2 pair of long pants, jeans, 2-3 T shirts, 2 sleeveless/short sleeve shirts, 2 long sleeve shirts, a sweater, safari vest(handy pockets), windbreaker, hat.

A light weight ,light color, long sleeve shirt It could be hot.. Could be cold....
That's it!
Chances to get rain, I don’t really think so.

There should be laundry facilities as well.

Compliments
www.offroadacademy.com

Apr 13th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Louise

We traveled in Botswana several years ago and found the weather during the day to be hot and the evenings cool almost cold. Morning game drives were uncomfortable as all we took were sweatshirts and a rain poncho for layering - I would take a fleece jacket or pullover if going again plus something waterproof. We had no rain at that time but the rain gear came in handy at Victoria Falls.

Apr 14th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Kavey

We went to Botswana in June last year. We were surprised by how cold it was in the evenings, and I had to buy gloves and scarf at one of the camp shops.

Clothing wise I wore a Tshirt, thin jumper and regular fleece (not polar) and this worked well as when we first went out, before sunrise, I needed all the layers, and could strip them off as it warmed up.

We didnt need any waterproofs as all our camps had these huge ponchos made of thick warm blanket with waterproofing on the outside, and including hood. We didn't get cold with these on, though they were heavy and made photography awkward at times.

We didn't need shorts at all, found light weight trousers more comfortable in the vehicles anyway.

Worth taking one pair of warmer trousers for the cooler times though most drives started cold and got very warm or the reverse, so hard to choose. Maybe if you are very keen on shorts those trousers which unzip the leg into shorts.

Don't recommend jeans, when you use camp laundry, things are dried by the heat of the sun, and though it can be warm, jeans can still take a while to dry.

Do take a swimming costume, we used pools twice in our 14 night safari but we really enjoyed those two times, once at Little Vumbura and once at Sossusvlei.

Trick is to layer and not pack lots of heavy sweatshirts and fleeces.

And not too many of each type of item, make use of the laundry.

You don't need smarter clothes for the evenings, not at the camps we stayed in such as Mombo, Vumbura and Wolwedans, I just changed into clean clothes in the evenings, those which had just been delivered back from the laundry, some nights, everyone was so tired that no one changed from their game drive clothes...

It's all very casual despite the elegance of the settings, tables and cuisine...

Which camps?

May 5th, 2002, 10:08 PM
DiDi

I am also leaving on the 10th of May for a 13 day safari. I wonder if we are on the same safari (Wilderness Safari, Jacana Tour).

F.Y.I Based on friend's experiences I have packed 2 fleeces and am bringing a scarf to tie around my neck in addition to light gloves to use during early morning and night drives. I have 2 pairs of pants that convert to shorts (one light material the other heavier) and am thinking of taking a warm up suit (jogging or tennis type) suit.

Any suggestions or additions to the list I have posted is very welcome.

Didi

Search this Thread