Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Clothes for Night Safari? Hot air ballon around Krueger?

Clothes for Night Safari? Hot air ballon around Krueger?

Mar 11th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Clothes for Night Safari? Hot air ballon around Krueger?

I know that for day time safari's you should wear the basic tan, dull green, etc.
What about a night safari? I think we depart around 5pm....does that mean dark colors...black, gray, etc.?
Also, does anyone know of a hot air ballon co. that departs from somewhere near Krueger. (we are staying at the Sabi River Sun in Hazyview...so somewhere close to there would be best)
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Clothing on a land rover safari is NOT an issue, if you are walking yes, but for a vehicle, wear clothes that you are comfortable in.

I do not believe that the baloon option exists in the Kruger, however out towards highveld around Johannesburg you can fly, try Bill Harrop for a great time in the sky.
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM

mgtr.

Sounds like you'll have a fun safari. About night time clothing - be sure whatever you plan to wear is warm. Heavy sweatshirts, long pants and even a light nylon jacket over that in the winter season, it can be very cold after dark. Even in summer season, a light jacket or sweatshirt would be comfortable. Enjoy!!! - Joan
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:18 AM

The tan shades that you plan on wearing during the day are fine - but make sure you have layers to add and pull off as needed. Our best buy for our safari was two pairs of convertible/zip-off pants.
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:42 AM

I've always wondered about those convertible pants and was thinking about buying some for my upcoming trip.
But it seems to me that the zipper around the leg would be uncomfortable. Is this so?

Also, does anyone know what the average Farenheit temps are at night in Namibia in late May and Botswana in early June ?
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:15 AM

There is a company called Balloons Over Africa that operates in that area. My husband and I were booked for a flight with them when we were staying in Hazyview but, unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. The website is www.balloonsoverafrica.com.
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM

You dont feel the zipper part of the convertible pants at all. The zipper does not touch your skin directly - there is a flap of fabric that folds over it both on the outside and the inside.

For temps, try www.weatherbase.com. They have temperature averages by month based on several year's data.
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks, Ericka.

Search this Thread