Resort Suggestions for Sharm el Sheikh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a resort suggestion for Sharm el Shiekh in Egypt? Our tour operator has us in the Marriot, but I was possibly looking to upgrade to another hotel. Any suggestions/comments would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:09 AM

The advantage of the Marriott is that it is near all the shopping, restaurants and nightlife. If you are interested in that, then I would stay at the Marriott. If you just want a beach and a good spa and not any sightseeing or shopping, then I would go to the Ritz-Carlton.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 01:31 AM

I stayed at the Hyatt in feb and loved it...great staff, beautiful grounds, nice massages, but the food sucked big time (except breakfast...amazing buffetts). Stay there, but take the free shuttle (5 min drive)or a taxi into the backpacker/tourist street for amazing restaurants and cheap souvenirs
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:11 PM

The Marriott is a nice hotel and has a good location. It does however have two sections. One is on the beach with direct access to the path through Sharm, and one is across the road (I think they call these rooms mountain view). The mountain view side is very nice, actually newer than the beach side, but if you are looking to be on the water make sure you get in the section by the beach. It is a bit of a walk to get down to the road and then across the street and then make your way through another hotel before you get to the beach. The mountain side does have it's own pool and restaurant.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:16 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt a couple of years ago, but as mentioned above - the food was mediocre at best. Even the breakfast buffet was not as good as some other Egyptian resorts. The on-site Thai restaurant, however, is quite good. The Hyatt is a beautiful resort, but I really got tired of climbing up and down all the stairs. A lot of families go there because of the water slide, but we found the supervision of the slide lacking - an accident waiting to happen!

The Four Seasons, Sheraton, and Intercontinental are also favorite spots for many people.

We will be staying at the Movenpick Golf for Spring Break, so I will add a comment or two on that when we return. It has a golf course and a water slide - which I hope will be better supervised (of course, our kids are older now).

A lot of people with older kids like to stay in town because the boardwalk is a big draw for teenages. The boardwalk has lots of shops (touristy and upscale) and lots of restaurants. However, if you just want to relax and enjoy the pool and beach, I would opt for one of the resorts a little out of town. You can always get a taxi or perhaps a hotel shuttle to take you to the boardwalk.