Cayman Westin Vs. Marriott-2 adults, 2 young adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which would you recommend -want very nice resort, but-not too exclusive, fun, good food.
Hear Marriott is not right on beach?
All inclusive food good at Marriott-Includes lobster?
Nice views in deluxe rooms for both, or need ocean view?
Feb. Journey
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Marriott is beach front. Only negative is that the beach is on the narrow side and can be further reduced by weather (leads to crowding). Westin sits on what many consider the nicest section of beach. Properties are comparable. Westin has the nicer/larger pool, but any of the non-renovated rooms would be a bit less appealing than the Marriott's.

Food is good at both, but you miss the appeal of the island's excellent restaurants if you sequester yourself on the property for dinning. I believe lobster is include, but maybe a supplement at the Marriott (suggest you contact them to confirm to avoid disappointment).

If it were me and I was staying at a hotel that offered a stunning view of SMB's water, I'd feel remiss if I could afford it and didn't take advantage of it.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Marriott on points a few years ago. The property had just been refurbished and is a very nice clean hotel. That said, it is not a large resort. The pool area is very small. We didn't care about the pool because we like the beach, but with little ones, the pool would be more key.

The beach is very narrow by the Marriott, but that wasn't a big deal but the chairs can be close.

DH went to the Westin to do the scuba instruction in their pool because it was much larger. I have heard both good and bad reviews on the rooms.

The food on the island was very good and we enjoyed eating out. The food at the Marriott was good, but I wouldn't do a meal plan there as the local restaurants are a probably much better variety.We had most breakfasts and some lunches by the pool and also a pirate night buffet at the Marriott.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Sorry just read the kids are young adults and not young children. Our kids were young teens when we went. We went with another family and we pretty much had the only teens at the hotel.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM

When I first started going to Grand Cayman, I stayed at the Westin. It has a great beach, nice pool and adequate rooms. We did not stay at the Marriot because the beach is smaller and the pool not as nice. Now that the kids are older, we stay at a condo which is right on the beach, with an oceanview, and has nice swimming pool, spa tub etc. and much more space (you need it with teenagers). Another plus at the condo is having a real kitchen. All of the hotels and condos on Seven Mile Beach are close to fine dining and cheaper dining options. I would not worry much about the food at the hotel because there are usually better options close by.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice!! Does the Marriott have scuba diving instructions also at their pool or on the beach that is good and safe?. One son certified, but at college, so no real carribean diving experiences. Any advice on sunset cruises in February?
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM

We went two years ago and Red Sail Sports was right at the Marriott. They pool people from several hotels and I believe they do the certification at the Westin. Marriott transports them. The guy who was with my DH and DD was very good. He stuck with DD because she was the only kid in the group. She was about 16 at the time. She loved the experience. One of the older gentleman from another hotel freaked out and had to be taken up.
They may start the instruction at the Marriott and then transport them. I didn't go so I am not sure. We also booked a stingray city cruise through the marriott and it picked us up and stopped at other hotels and brought us to the boat. It was a fun cruise.
I will say that DH and DD felt prepared to go diving by the time they went. DH had gone once before in Puerto Rico, but this was DDs first time. She had no problems at all.
Oh and the Marriott is beachfront. I didn't respond to that before, but it is right on the beach.