Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mauii Westin, Hyatt, or Marriott with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Kris

Going to Mauii with kids. We've stayed at the Grand Wailea without the kids and loved it, but we thought we would try Kaanapali. Which hotel is the nicest? We are looking for a great room, pool and beach.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:56 AM
Suzie

Just got back from the Maui Marriott with our 2 kids , 12 & 8. This property is heavily used as it is half owned timeshare with the other half being the hotel portion. While the Hyatt and the Westin are on either side of the Marriott neither was as crowded at the time as I believe ownership increases occupancy. Both kids preferred the Hyatt over the Westin and the Westin over the Marriott. Good things about the Marriott are, in-room safe (free to use, terrific on-site cafe open early closes around 8, you can puchase a 32 (?) oz refillable mug for $22 and refill for free with coffee, tea or soda for the entire stay, pool is pretty entertaining with the waterfalls and slides but the Hyatt's slide is longer and the pool is nicer.

Room we had was clean standard hotel room with refrig and 2 double beds. I'm thinking maybe we should have asked for 1 king with a sofa bed instead.

Marriott's italian restaurant Va Bene is really very good.

The Hyatt's room we had last time was about the same size as the Marriott room we had this time so there is no advantage in that. I haven't seen the Westin's rooms but the grounds are very nice. Both the Westin and the Marriott are selling timeshares while you are there so there is that to contend with. No real pressure at the Marriott but along the beach walkway there are salesmen asking passersby if they wasnt a preview.

The Grand is a much larger property than any of the places along Kaanapali. I was amazed at the size of the resorts in Wailea when we went there for the day.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
b

Why are Mauii travelers so Obsessed with which hotel is the nicest? Is Mauii so bad you need an oasis from real life?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
xxx

We stayed at the Westin in 2001 with our kids 11&8. Rooms were nice but small. Not much of a beach at any of those hotels. The Sheraton has a really nice size beach with great snorkeing. The kids loved it. The Westin has a great pool. I have no doubt that overall the Hyatt is probably the best one, although I didn't see the rooms. Friends have stayed there and loved it. Just from taking walks by these places, when we were there, the pool areas at the Hyatt and Marriott were very crowded,with lounge chairs on the lawns which was a shame because it sort of gives a crummy look to the hotels.The Westin's pool layout is spread out enough so you don't necessarily see an overcrowded look. But then again, that may not matter to others. I'd skip the restaraunts at the Westin. We loved the Hula Grill at the Whaler next door. Simple food,nice prices,awesome views.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Kris

How about the beach area in front of each hotel? I've been told that the beach in front of the Hyatt is not good. Is this true? How far would we have to go to get good beach?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Suzie

We played in the water in front of the Marriott which is very similar to the beach in front of the Hyatt. In general these resorts do not encourage beach use and tend to over-fly the red flag. I thought the beach got wider and more well used as you walked toward the Sheraton which is really wide. The beaches in front ot the Kaanapali A'Alii was used more but probably because the pool area is not as elaborate as the resorts.

We visited the beach next to the Rennaisance in Wailea and thought the sand there was much heavier and stickier than the sand in Kaanapali. Ithink if you just walked toward the Whalers Village near "dig me" beach you'd be fine. Not much of a walk, few minutes.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:49 PM
Kris

I will probably go with the Hyatt, but the children's programs at the Westin keep drawing me in. They offer hula lessons, lei-making, etc. without having to do any kind of Hyatt kids camp, which we have no interest in.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:55 PM
xxx

One other point, because we're Starwood members,we used points for one night, and got promotion prices for the other nights.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Suzie

Actually I thought I also saw that they'd do something with braiding or twisting girls hair. There was this kiosk that I think was open durng the day where girls could have these things done. BTW the Marriott and the Hyatt had beachside massage that was fairly private in the beachside cabanas. The Marriott had the most cabanas and the prices were reasonable. The Hyatt had some too but the Westin is on a slight rise so their pool area is not on level with the beach walk so I didn't see that they had those. The Hyatt and the Marriott also offer those private dinners in the cabanas for major bucks. We saw a couple taking advantage of this one night at the Hyatt. Made a point of not yelling to my kids on the beach as I passed their closed cabana. There were lots of candles and the wind gently moved the curtains aside so those of us who can't spend $350 or more could see what it's like!!!!! ; )

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:03 PM
Suzie

Oh, one last thing Kris. The Hyatt is redoing a portion of their pool area. It looked like it was pretty far along just before Thanksgiving. They have turned a portion of the seating area into a kids pool. It looks to be pretty elaborate. It's on north side of the pool. The water fall has always separated the pool into two areas. The north side has the waterslide and the south side has more seating and the larger part of the pool. Now there will be less seating on the north side with the addition of the kids pool area. You might want to find out if the remodle will be complete before you arrive. Though it did not interfere with the rope bridge, the waterslide or the pool it did cut off all of the seating for that area.

It is also odd that they'd put the kids pool there since the private jacuzzi area is now located just off the kid area.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Kris

Author XXX Why would you stay at the Hyatt over the Westin? Are the gounds at the Westin poorer? Or, is the rooms or just everything overall? If I could get in to the Grand Wailea, would you recommend that? How does the Hyatt compare to the Grand?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:18 PM
Kris

Suzie, Please keep the info coming. It is really helping. Thank you so much. I know the lobby doesn't really matter, but sometimes it kind of sets a feel for the rest of the property. I've seen a picture of the Hyatt lobby and it looks great. Very similiar to the one in Kuaii, which we have stayed. Were you able to see the Westin lobby? Or, how was the Marriott lobby. The rating on Fodor's is Marriott, Hyatt, then Westin which seems to contradict a lot of these opinions I'm hearing.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
Kris

I guess I'm wondering, after staying at the Marriott, why you would prefer the Hyatt, then the Westin, is the pools, the appearance of the hotel, the location?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Suzie

Definitely not the Marriott as my first choice. The Hyatt lobby is very nice. The Marriott is very similar in that it's open and has stone floors and planters with lovely plants with a view of the koi pond and the pool beyond but you are also faced with getting past the whole timeshare thing. Everyone it seemed was an owner and spent lots of time extolling the joys of timeshare ownership.

When we stayed at the Hyatt it was the whole atmosphere of the hotel that made it special. I didn't "feel" that at eh Marriott. I thought the pool area at the Westin was nicer and so did the kids. The Hyatt and the Westin were not as crowded at that time. It also depends on the ages of your kids and what they are used to. The Marriott has this Pirate ship which you don't know until you get ehre is really for very small children, probably under six. Though my kids played there the parents of the really young kisd glared at them like they were too old to be there. Hey kids are kids, and they all like fun things. The pirate hsip area has a sand bottom so the little ones can play with buckets and stuff. You also have to wear a wrist band around the pool area. Even my kids said there were too many kids and people yelled alot across the pool at otehr ffamily members or firends. This was not limited to kids yelling to mom either. Mom yelled to kids too! Heeelllooo we can all hear you!

The bottom line though is that you will have a great time which ever hotel you choose.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
xxx

I agree that the lobby sets the tone.Hyatt is the best. Really lovely as are the grounds. My order based on lobby and grounds-Hyatt,Marriott,Westin. Westin lobby is also very nice,with a pond filled with a great assortment of fish. I would go back to the Westin bacause of Starwood points, and as I posted earlier,pool layout doesn't give that overcrowded look. This is something that does matter to DH as he doesn't like to sit right on top of people. Never been to the Grand W, but if I had the extra money, I'd sure like to go.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:34 AM
rg

Hi - We went to Maui in 2000 for our 20th - Stayed at the Alii - it is in between the Hyatt and the Westin. The Alii is a Condo - Very Nice. The beach in front of the Hyatt, Marriott and Westin is not very good for kids. We went back with our kids (8 and 10)in March of 2002 and chose the Sheraton. The rooms are not large - but very nice pool for the kids. Kids eat free on property with paying adults. Our boys loved the outside bar and grill that looked over the pool and wanted to eat there for lunch everyday and they loved their Smoothies. Cliff dive and Hawiian Music there every night too. The beach is great there for kids to play and snorkel/boogie board and just steps away from the pool. The Sheraton is very spread out and never felt crowded. People that stayed down by the Hyatt and Westin walk down to use the beach in front of the Sheraton. Whalers village is a nice walk where the Hula Grill and other good places for lunch or casual dinner. When we go again we will stay in a Condo again, alot more room for the boys and about the same price or cheaper than a small hotel room - might not have the pool area - put we just used the pool for a refreshing dip after the ocean anyway. Food expense will be much less in a condo. The Whaler or Alii will be our choice. The Whaler is on same beach 2 doors down from Sheraton.
Dont forget to take your kids to the Maui Ocean Center and Bubba Gumps. We watched Forrest Gump right before we went in 2002 and the boys had so much fun with the waiter and triva questions!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
Keri

Went with friends to the Marriott Maui last April and LOVED it. We had a 1 year old and our friends had a 3 year old. We never left the "kids pool" during the day. It was perfect and not too crowded in April. Staff was very friendly, the sushi restaurant was very good. The 1 bedroom villa we stayed in was great. New & clean and came with a frig, toaster, sink, dishwasher and microwave. We stocked up on goodies and booze at Costco on the way into town and saved a ton of money that way. They also have gas BBQs (over near the shed that rents beach equiment) which were immaculately kept. We cooked several of our best meals out there (there is a great local fish market about a 5 minute drive up the road we purchased from)