PV - Marriott or Westin?

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PV - Marriott or Westin?

Hi all - heading to Puerta Vallarta over Thanksgiving for our honeymoon. Can't decide between the Marriott and the Westin. I've read some positive things about the Marriott but didn't see any comments about the Westin. Any thoughts? We want beach, peace/quiet, good food/drinks and reasonable distance (prefer to walk but open to taxis) to get to places. Appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM

I just replied to you above, but here is my same response, copied:

OMG, Westin. My DH and I went there in 2005, and had the mixed blessing of staying at both, b/c neither had availability for the whole time we were there, so we had to switch hotels midway. The Westin property and rooms were way, way more luxurious. If I recall, they were both rated 4 star, but we felt that the Westin was on the 5-star end of the vast 4 star range, and the Marriott was DEFINITELY on the 3-star end. We're pretty dedicated to Marriott, too, since we get rewards with them, but there is no way we would choose the Marriott over the Westin there. The Westin property is more upscale, more beautiful, quiet, better service, better food, way better pool. The Marriott not as nice, was next to a bunch of construction (this may no longer be the case), did not have nearly so nice a pool, had a much more crowded pool, was full of spring breakers and had a more downscale crowd in general. You'll have to use taxis from either, is my recollection.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Also, reading that it is your honeymoon, the Westin is more romantic. And the beds are the Heavenly beds. They also have the Nikki Beach Bar, which is a beachside bar with beds on it, very pretty and modern for young couples like you honeymooners. (DH and I are young, too, and really liked Nikki Beach.)
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Since you are honeymooners, make sure you eat at Cafe des Artistes. Amazing, and sooo romantic!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the input, lukesaunt!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM

No problem. I remember being sorely disappointed with Fodorites that time because I had read only nice things about the Marriott on here, or things saying the two were comparable, and neither DH or I felt that was accurate. We felt there was a palpable difference in the two properties. I usually get such accurate info here, so that time sticks out to me.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM

lukesaunt, If you think the Casa Magna Marriott is closer to a 3-star... you have not stayed at a 3-star hotel in Mexico!!! Sounds like the Westin may be more what you're after, but I don't think calling the Marriott a 3-star is fair unless you clarify that you mean by American, not Mexican, rating system.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Suze - would love your input. I've read a lot of what you've had to say relative to PV - even took down your restaurant list. So I would appreciate your opinion on the two properties.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Yes, to clarify, I do mean by an American rating system. I felt the Marriott was on the 3* end of 4*s, and Westin was on the other end of the 4* range. The Marriott was more "Spring Break" place and the Westin was more of a luxury property, in my opinion.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 05:46 AM

To lukesaunt I have to disagree w/you I think you must have had a bad experience I would say they are comparable since I have stayed at most of the Best hotels in P.V. I would definitely not say the Westin was better than the Marriott, They are the same just a matter of preference. To Roodee if you want a Romantic dinner here are 2 choices You must try at least one of them. 1 is located in the Hacienda San Angel it was previously owned by the late Richard Burton it is truly an amazing experience make sure you book on line before you go and ask to sit outside. The other is Vista Grille it is so Romantic also ask to sit outside there is a table for two that over looks the city Beautiful. Have a wonderful Honeymoon When are you getting married? I am going again in November. Good Luck
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Oh one more thing to lukesaunt I have been going to P.V. for almost 20yrs and certainly would never put the Marriott in the same category as Spring Break Hotel in fact none of the hotels I have ever stayed had Spring Breakers they can't afford it,Oh can you clarify what is a downscale crowd sounds like you are a little too upscale for me. Glad I wasn't at the Marriott when you were there you are the kind of person who I like to avoid when I am on vacation I am around upscale all the time don't need it on vacation. I certainly wouldn't put any of the top hotels in with a downscale crowd going whatever that means.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Butsey for the input. I'll definitely check out the restaurants - thanks. We decided on the Westin for a few reasons. I'm a fan of Starwood properties. I travel a lot for work, so I'm a Starwood Gold and hope that will account for something. I'm registering for the wedding at Starwood ("honey money"). We're a bit older and have established households, so really need nothing. I love the idea of registering for travel instead of that boring toaster! We're getting married in July but will be in PV over Thanksgiving. Bit of a delayed honeymoon. Something to look forward to though. Where are you staying on your trip?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I was there during spring break, and we could not even find a chair to sit in by the water. And when we finally did, the bud light girls were dancing in front of us while about 80 spring breakers danced around. So, yes, it is a spring breaker haven, in my book.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

lukesaunt never experienced it ever in all the yrs we have been going in fact we were at the Sheraton in March and they don't ever have spring breakers there either. Like I said you must have had a bad experience. Very unusual believe me it is not the norm because it isn't cheap to go. Sorry it
left a bad impression because it is really my favorite hotel in P.V. I now stay at the Sheraton at the time share section
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Rhoodee I will be going the wk of the 10th-17th we usually go in Nov & in March Hope you enjoy your stay the Westin is a beautiful hotel and you will enjoy the Marina area if you like Italian food try Portabello you can walk to it from the Westin. Do forget to try at least one of the restaurants I suggested I too am a bit older so I understand everything you are looking for. Again congratulations and have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I wasn't talking about the Sheraton. My post was about the Marriott.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM

OK, I've stayed at both the Marriott and the Westin with three teenagers over two different spring breaks. They liked the Marriott better because there were lots of other teenagers, which turned out to be "springbreakers" albeit more upscale, if that makes sense, and they were generally chaperoned well. My kids thought the Westin was too boring, "full of older people" which suits this Starwood Gold guy (me) perfectly. If we are talking stars I'd say Sheraton is a solid 3, Casa Magna is a waning 4 and the Westin is a solid 4. Westin gets held back a bit by the timeshare element and the Marina location (far from downtown). The Marriott's Denny's like main restaurant needs serious work. C'est La Vie! Have a great and relaxing HM Roodee!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM

butsey *is* talking about the Marriott