Search

Report from Nairobi Crime

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Report from Nairobi Crime

Given the recents concerns about the crime/danger in Nairobi, etc., I decided to email my Kenyan contact in Nairobi. I am posting her response, received today:

"Dear Betsy,

Thank you for your message below.

Yes crime rate has been on the uprising in Kenya and more so in Nairobi, though a lot of this has been on the outskirts or periphery of the city and CBD.

Recently a Lady who has lived and worked here for 30years was driving at night with her mom who was visiting in a convoy, and they stopped to wait for the other vehicles when a car pulled up and they were car Jacked and shot at.

The crime is not really tourist related or targeted at tourist and this particular incident was quite random.

On the other hand like any other growing city and especially as we have had quite some economic growth, crime is on the upsurge.

Yesterday, the government our police and our security forces, were revamping and strategizing on ways to beat or curb the crime. Alot of it has been targeting Kenyans, but there will be the other one off incidents that get the international publicity."

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I don't recall anyone indicating that the crime was targeted at tourists but they are as much at risk as anyone else.

Here is a recent editorial on the subject:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200701290348.html
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Wondering how credible this "editorial" is when the banner to the left includes:

Pepper Spray Stor Sale
Discount Stun Guns
Self Defense Training
Handguns for Self Defense

They would want to speculate and inflate findings just to sell ads, would they???????
Fear No Man
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:53 PM

drtravels - The adverts you're seeing are coming from a context sensitive ad serving program. They have nothing to do with the editorial.

Do you have another basis for questioning the editorial or are you being facetious?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM

To those who are open-minded about the issue of crime in Kenya:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702090963.html
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Favor:

The ads have everything to do with the editorial. The editorial generates a certain type of viewer and thus a motivation to skew the content to attract advertisement and income.

I prefer sources that have no or limited motivations other than factual reporting of information. While considering individual perceptions and the more sensational approach of some media sources is of value, balance with accurate information.

I do not deny crime is occuring and may be having a recent increase but proper perspective and accurate information from a variety of sorces is responsible. Making statements like "tourists are at the same risk as everyone else" is not accurate when there isn't supporting evidence.

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM

It's interesting that when I load the page in question I get ads for law schools and lawyers. I think your search for some commercial bias in the editorial is poorly supported.

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

The ads that I get along the article are a "free dinner" at the Olive Garden Restaurant and an ad for "xm" radio. I have never eaten at the Olive Garden (I get my Italian food from a neighborhood place) or considered "xm" radio.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM

Kenya just got a bit safer:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702210349.html