returned from Kenya - it's safe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will post my trip report in a few weeks - I just got home at 1 AM this morning - but in case anyone is interested, Kenya is safe and still beautiful ( for my specific trip details refer to my threads) My children were very much against us going to Kenya this summer - and were insisting we do Tanzania instead- I am glad that we stuck to our guns and did Kenya

The good news is- on safari there aren't a bunch of vans spying the same animals - The bad news is that the people, who are dependent on the tourist trade - ARE HURTING big time.

At the Sopa Hotel in Lake Navaisha, which is a large hotel, it was pretty empty ( maybe 20 people). At the Royal Mara in Masai Mara - it was not busy. However, that fantastic lodge only has 8 cabins/tents to begin with. In Malindi - at Dream of Africa, when we left- there was only one couple remaining. But, we felt safe at all times even in Nairobi ( but I didn't walk the streets either)

Regards
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear that there are still so few visitors. Welcome back and looking forward to your report!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Welcome back, ldtc2! To me Kenya seemed as busy or not busy as usual in June, but it looks like I’m the only one with that impression.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Nyamera

I wouldn't be able to tell you one way or another this is my first trip- I am a huge "listener" and everyone from the waiters to the hotel managers to shop keepers indicated that business was way off.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome home! Glad you had a good time and am also sorry to hear that tourism is still down in Kenya. Cannot wait for your report but get some rest first.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM

It's a shame that bookings are still low.......
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Welcome back. It is messages like yours that will help bring visitors back.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Can't wait to read your report! Am travelling to Kenya in October and have been a bit uneasy about doing so. You have put my mind at rest. Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM

During all my June trips to Kenya I’ve spent part of the time as the only guest at camps, but not this year. I saw plenty of Governors’ and Heritage vehicles in the Mara, but not that many minivans at Talek Gate and Keekorok where they usually are found, but that could have been because there were no animals in those places … I was the first guest of the year for the safari company, but they had good bookings for the high season that really doesn’t start properly until the end of July. Bookings for the high season in the Mara Triangle are not that good according to their blog.

Kenya was very safe for tourists even during the troubles. I walked the streets of Nairobi after dark feeling perfectly at ease.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Nyamera,

By Mara Triangle - you referring to the Ololloo gate side? That would basically be Serena and Kitchwa and few more?

Yes, even in June - that area around Kitchwa had lots of their cars. Even the Serena didn't seem to have many out on drive.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM

Great thread title ldtc2!

By letting folks know your good news you will be informing them on what a great travel experience awaits them and directly help folks get food on their table, save some animals from being poached, keep the kids in school…

Don’t worry about a fancy report [or you may never finish it like :-" !] ; keep it as real as your title! Looking forward to learning about your perspective on your Kenya experience at this time.

Asante, Den