Rain Okavango

Oct 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Rain Okavango

"The first of the summer rains has started falling over Ngamiland, with Maun having so far had about 30mm. Heavy rain fell in the northern Okavango delta, sufficient to dampen down bush fires that had raged across parts of the delta over the past few weeks. Lightning and thunder accompanied the rain over Maun, while high winds have also swept over the town.

Weather forecasters do not predict rain at present but with tropical storms in central Africa and forming over the south Atlantic Ocean, the possibility exists that there may be more storms on the horizon."
Local Maun newspapaer.
Oct 13th, 2006, 09:02 PM
santharamhari

Bots,

Thanks for the updates.....what about the linyanti/kwando/selinda regions? Any idea about rains as yet?

I know it's a hard thing to forecast, but, are they calling for above average rainfall again this year, just like last summer?

Thanks
Hari

Oct 13th, 2006, 10:31 PM

We were caught in a heavy thunderstorm on a night drive in South Luangwa last week. Very still and warm initially with lightning in the distance, then the wind started and big, cold drops of rain started falling. The wind started howling and the rain turned into a torrent. It was wonderful although it lasted no more than 10 minutes. The experience was made even more special as Victor, our guide, told us of childhood memories of rainmakers which still ply their trade in the villages.

After we returned to the lodge, anothre storm blew in. Short but intense.

Sean and MaryAnn, proprieters of Luangwa River Lodge told us that it has been cooler and windier later than normal this year, and that it also rained in Lusaka.

Of course, don't know how that bodes for later on.

Sure having a hard time adjusting to being back home. As Ruth said, "I'm half here and half still in Africa."

Moved almost a thousand digital images from the P&S to the computer and have several more hundred to do, plus over a thousand on film at the processor. Got a lot of culling and organizing to do. Some ways good in bringing me back to our wonderful trip, but in some ways sad, because it's a reminder that I'm here and that most amazing of places is half a world away.

Sorry for the distraction, but the comment about the weather reminded me of how joyous it was as we raced along in the Rover as the rain and wind pummeled us. I scared when I let out a whoop and poor Victor thought there was something wrong.

That was also the night we saw two pennant winged nightjars. That really excited Victor, us too, as they flew off with the long wispy feathers at the tips of their wings trailing and undulating a full boddy length behind them.

I'm no birder, but that was a real "Wow!" among many "Wow's!"

Jim

Oct 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM
santharamhari

Jim,

I feel a lot of us are "half still in Africa"....all in the same boat.

Hari

PS: Enjoying the trip report. Thks

Oct 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM
santharamhari

I have read a couple of articles in recent times, that some initial research indicates a slight El nino weather system to occur. Would this typically mean below average rainfall in Southern Africa?

Hari

Oct 15th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

The last 2 years there has been more rains, have a look at the monthly rainfall in Maun from 1923 till now it is a great site and also gives an indication of the years flood.http://ngamitimes.com/page15.html
Oct 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
santharamhari

Thank you....

Hari

Oct 18th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Jim,

Victor is a great storyteller and a true pleasure to be around.

Now you have gone and made me all nostalgic and I do not even have Luangwa River Lodge on my radar for 2007.

Even if it is not until 2008, I will have to return to LRL soon. Would love to see it in the Emerald Season but doing so would take away the northern part of the park (Kaingo & Tafika) so that makes the wait even longer.

I cannot wait to see your photos and read more about your trip. I am really so pleased that you really developed a connection with Zambia. It is kinda' hard not to.