PHOTO TRIP REPORT - Egypt in Oct. 2006

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PHOTO TRIP REPORT - Egypt in Oct. 2006

It's taken me a while to sort through all my images but I've finally got all my ducks in a row.
We spent a little over a week in Egypt last Fall. It was a planned stop on our way home from an East African safari. We spent a few days in Cairo and then 4-5 days cruising up the Nile.

We used Lady Egypt tours (aka Experience Egypt). They were supremely professional and made the entire trip run very smoothly. Navigating Cairo alone would have been too much for us on our own. I highly recommend them.
We had an excellent time and the only blight on the entire trip was the amount of harassment we received from just about anyone who thought we may buy something from them.
Although Egyptians are renowned for their hospitality I grew very tired of the cheap sales tactics & gimmicks employed by vendors and hawkers.

Aside from that it was a beautiful country with a rich history and interesting culture.

Follow this link to see some photos from the trip. The safari pics can be found there too if anyone is interested.

http://adrianoalmeida.smugmug.com/

Thanks to all you Fodorites who recommended Lady Egypt (Experience Egypt). Well done!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM

Thanks for posting the link to your photos. They are beautiful. What tombs did you go in at the Valley of the Kings?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Our guide made some recommendations on three tombs that exhibited the best workmanship and were most well preserved. We did not go into Tut's tomb as it is supposedly not much to look at (but he is still in there unlike the rest).
We visited KV8 which belonged to Paharaoh Merenptah or Meneptah (thought to be the Pharaoh of the Exodus). He was the 13th or 14th son of Ramesses II. The burial chamber was large and vaulted with a beautiful sarcophagus.
We also Visited KV2-Ramses IV. This was a shorter tomb with a very large sarcophagus at the end that you had to walk around.
The last one, if memory serves was KV17-Seti I. This is supposed to be the longest tomb in the valley and the sloped walk down was not easy. It was beautifully decorated with many well preserved hieroglyphs including the Book of the Dead.

We also went to the Valley of the Queens. Sadly the most beautiful (Nefertari's) was closed indefinately. We saw the tomb of Amunkerkhopshef who also had the mummy of an unknown baby or fetus inside. We also visited the tomb of Queen Titi (Tyti) from the XX Dynasty. If memory serves this tomb was well decorated and colourful. It had a low ceiling and most of the walls were protected beind glass.

I think that covers most of the tombs we saw. Sadly there was no way to photograph their beauty... but you can buy images from the hawkers outside.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the details. I won't be there for a year, but I'm really looking forward to the trip. It is my dream trip to go to Egypt. I had thought I wanted to visit Tut's tomb because I've read so much about it, but maybe not now. I've got a year to decide I guess!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

If it's something on your list of things to do I would still visit Tut's tomb. They charge you a lot more to go in but you can say you've been there. At the very least you can imagine what it must have been like for Howard Carter when he first discovered it. But the stuff you'll see in the Tut wing of the museum will be far better. By then they may even have the new museum ready... i'm not sure about the schedule. Check out the mummy room too. Being eye-to-eye with the most powerful Pharaoh of all time (Rameses II) after thousands of years was reason enough for me to go in.

Have fun when you do go.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Wow...you're pictures are very nice. Brings back fond memories of when my husband and I were there, also in Oct. of 2006.
I have questions about your Thailand trip...do you post on the Asia pages?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi heymo,
I did a quick post about the Thailand trip with a link to that photo gallery. If you click on my name you should find it. I think I called it THAILAND PHOTO JOURNEY or something?
I'm happy to answer any question you may have.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Thanks...I'll be sure to check it out. We're in the initial planning stages for a trip there in December. Not sure whether to go on our own or with a group....