Search

Panorama Drive?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panorama Drive?

We are thinking about adding a couple of days onto our trip to do this drive and to explore God's window, Blyde River Canyon, etc.. We are a family of five with three boys aged 6, 12, & 13. We will have already spent four nights in Kruger.

How long to do you think we should allocate for this trip? Suggestions of accommodations?Activities?
Thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Yeah, about time somebody replied, here's my 2 cents. (See my disclaimer below)

We're from USA, Western USA. We spent couple days looking around that area (before going to Kruger). Took a couple hour boat ride in the canyon. It's all nice, pretty country. If you've spent 26 hours on the airplane getting to South Africa, it's a good way to stretch out, unwind, and get over jet lag. So I would do it at the beginning, not end of your trip, before Kruger. Have you been to Kruger before? But then again, I don't know what you do have planned for the beginning and end, so .....?

Well, don't know what to say. Where are you from? USA? Western USA, Utah, Arizona? If you've seen that part of USA, the scenery around Panorama Drive won't awe you. It's pretty and it's nice. Like I say, for me makes a good start before safari or maybe some downtime along the way.

Then again, I've never traveled as a family with three boys. So maybe I know from nothing

regards - tom
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Tom is correct re the time you should do this; before safari is better than after.

Where are you going in Kruger? I know there are lodges in Kruger that have combo deals with lodges in the Blyde Rivier area. The latter are about 3 times cheaper than a Kruger-lodge, for various reasons (but mainly because they do not need the multiple hectares to keep animals in). If you go for such a deal, most of the time you get one night (or more) for free. It depends on the length of your stay.

You need at least 3 nights to enjoy all of it. One day to do God's window, the three rondavels view, and the canyon. And another full day to go hiking in the mountains (a must, really!). Lodges in that area also offer balloon rides, etc... three days are gone in no time.

B.regs,

J.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can visit the area before you go to Kruger, fine; if not, it's still a great stop afterward. Two days is probably adequate, depending on how much you want to go on hikes, river trips, etc. The Panorama Route is perfectly adaptable to car-touring, too.

We really like the Graskop Hotel - http://www.graskophotel.co.za - which is not only comfortable and affordable, it's a block from Harrie's Pancakes, a perfect place for a family with 3 boys.

Try to rent a video of "The Gods Must Be Crazy" just to see how big a role God's Window plays in the movie.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

We are from the Eastern part of the USA but have done many trips to the West and love it there! Our current plan is to go to kruger (sabi sands) and then to get a rental car (does anyone know if the rental agencies will deliver cars to the safari camps?) We plan to spend a couple of nights near Blyde River Canyon and then return the car to J-burg. Any suggestions you all can make would be much appreciated!! Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Not sure if any will deliver cars to the SSGR lodges, but I know that many lodges will arrange for car service to/from one of the regional airports. I would suggest you ask about transportation to Hoedspruit, where there are car rental agencies (Europcar for one) that will have vehicles that you can drop at JNB. Hoedspruit is more convenient for both the Blyde Canyon area and Sabi Sand, rather than Nelspruit (the major regional airport.)
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM

It might be less expensive with five of you to just keep the car while at the lodge. The transfers can be pricey. Rent and return at Joburg if you can. I am not clear on your plan, so if you have time to drive to Sabi Sand on arrival and not miss a game drive, it's lots cheaper to drive than fly and get the transfer to/from the airport. I'm surprised by how inexpensive renting a car (not SUV) is in S Africa.

We had a driver take us on the God's Window, etc tour. We also flew to the camp airstrip instead of the nearby airports. Expensive but very convenient. All depends on time and money. If you provide more detail, we might be able to give you better info.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM

"...deliver cars to the safari camps?"

Haven't tried that, but I'd bet that Avis would. Since they do it the other way, i.e. take cars back from safari camps. And Avis has rental offices in Skukuza, Nelspruit, Hoedspruit, all near to Sabi Sand reserve. Avis has a very large operation in JNB, give them a call or email.

You might also have the safari camp take you out (shuttle) to one of the above Avis locations and pick up the car at that Avis office (but will cost). I'd call the safari camp you are staying at with the question, they will likely have more suggestions.

Like christabir said, watch your arrival timings, don't arrive at a safari camp at 5pm, if you do, what you have left is a $1,000 dinner and bed. However, christabir mentions "inexpensive" to rent car, I found just the opposite!!!

regards - tom
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM

tom - I just checked. A little car is about $150/week and a mini van is $400/week, without any coupons. Pretty inexpensive by US standards lately. I don't think that's a lot - especially considering the transfers to/from the safari camps and/or local flights for five can be way more than that. And if they can work it out to not miss a game drive, can be a cost effective way to go.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM

Was this with Avis? We use Avis because it is US based company and if any problem I want to work it out in USA not SA.

I went to Avis JNB site and priced a VW Polo, group B, which may be is big enough for the five of them for one week (in mid April) and price is $231. Unlimited mileage. A Toyota Corolla, group C, is $332 for 7 days rental. I know that Avis is not lowest priced, but like I said ....

Here's that Avis JNB page, it it will still come up - http://tinyurl.com/4fh9yuc

regards - tom
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming from Capetown so we will fly directly to Kruger from there. I do like the suggestion of renting the car upon our arrival there as I am sure it will be cheaper than the flights we would take to get to the safari camp.

How far away is the Panorama drive from SAbi Sands? I am wondering if it is doable for us to do it as a day trip from the safari camp as someone suggested. We just don't want to miss any of the safari drives while we are at the camp.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 08:11 AM

It's a very long drive from Capetown. You could fly to JNB and do the 6-7 hour drive to SS. There are only about 5 hours between game drives, so a day trip from Sabi Sands is too far. Google maps can give you some idea of distances and drive times.

When we did the panorama route, it was at the end of our trip - added a day due to an airline schedule problem. We stayed a night in Hazyview after safari in Sabi Sands and had a driver for the day. We got up early, again!, and did the PR and then to the airport for our flight to JNB. It was a nice day.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM

<i>How far away is the Panorama drive from SAbi Sands? I am wondering if it is doable for us to do it as a day trip from the safari camp as someone suggested. We just don't want to miss any of the safari drives while we are at the camp.</i>

Depends on where in the SSGR you're staying. It's at least an hour from most of the lodges out to the R40, then anywhere from one to two hours to someplace like Graskop or God's Window. I doubt you'd be able to do it justice between game drives.

Here's a good site to help with driving directions and planning in SA: http://www.shellinfosight.com/home