Look for suggestion on our South Africa trip

Nov 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Look for suggestion on our South Africa trip

We (couple) will spend a couple of days in Johannesburg and including a day trip to Sun City.
Then on the third day morning (Dec 7) we are going to drive to east and come back to Johannesburg in seventh day evening (Dec 11). So we need to plan those five days and four nights activities. I think about spending two nights at Kruger NP, and I also saw a travel book mentions Circular Panorama route (Sabie, MacMac and Lisbon falls, God's Window, ... Blyde River Canyon,...), Then what else we can see in surrounding area. Is Swaziland worth a visit? or drive southeast for another NP? How I should plan it out? I should visit Kruger first or Circular Panorama route first. I want to reserve a bungalows in Kruger NP and find myself can not make any decision. Could you give me some advise?
Thanks in advance.

Ann
Nov 18th, 2010, 01:31 AM

A combination of the Blyde River area (one day) and Kruger should fill that time - it will take 7 hours each way just to get to Kruger, and once there it's best to stay at least 3 days as it's huge, varied and fascinating. My parents just left on such a trip - tonight they'll sleep in Graskop, tomorrow tour the viewpoints and end up in Olifants rest camp, then drive down to the southern camps over 8 days, back along the highway via Nelspruit.
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Indeed, taking on more than the Blyde Rivier area and Kruger is overkill. Perhaps your best bet is a "combo"; lots of lodges from Kruger area and from Blyde Rivier Area team up to create a combined offer that is cheaper than booking separately.

Like Mohlabetsi vs Iketla. But there's plenty like that.

I'd also opt for the private reserves around Kruger and notr for Kruger NP itself, certainly as you only have limited time.

Two days do do Pretoria, Blyde rivier, Potholes, Gods Window, etc.. Then three days / two nights in one of the private reserves around Kruger. Should be great!

B.regs,

J.
Nov 19th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank a lot for your suggestions. I think about I may add one day to my trip (short my time at Johannesburg). I will let you know once I finalize my trip.
Dec 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM

To Jeroenvm, I am doing the same trip. But Iwas going to drive from one end of the park to the other. How long do you think this would take staying in a different campground each night and is it better to go south to north or north to south. What would be the one thing to see in Jo'berg. thanks for all the info. pault
Dec 4th, 2010, 09:22 AM

FWIW if you don't already have it, a map of Kruger -
http://www.sanparks.org/images/parks...ls/knp_map.JPG
A table of distances and drive times between camps -
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger...ween_camps.pdf
Looks as if you could drive Kruger in two easy days. But I wouldn't, I'd plan 4 days minimum.

regards - tom
Dec 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM

South has the most concentration of animals and is the more popular of the two Kruger areas, but both are worth visiting if you have the time. One thing to see in Jhb, I would say either a Soweto Township tour or the Apartheid Museum.
www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com
Dec 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM

I second the suggestion of a township tour. I didn't go on it until after living here about 8 months but it was worth it. You can also request a half day tour instead of the full day tour if you're short on time. The Apartheid Museum in Joburg is fascinating but budget about 4 hours of time because there is A LOT of reading. I've been to many museums before but the Apartheid Museum by far has the most print of any of them. My husband and I had to speed read and we went 2.5 hours before closing...so even speed reading doesn't suffice! They shut the lights off 10 minutes to closing so make sure you have plenty of time.

There are some good restaurants at Nelson Mandela Square as well. A couple of souvenir markets I recommend are the Bryanston Organic Market and the Rosebank Rooftop Market.