South Africa - Kruger Park Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling to the Kruger Park area this coming August. We plan to do at least 2 days in Sabi Sands at a private reserve (Djumi maybe) and would like to do 3-4 nights in the park since we are on a budget.

Lower Sabie and Olifants seem like good spots. How far away are they from each other?

What would you do given 3-4 nights in Kruger Park before heading to the private reserve in Sabi Sands? We'll have a car rental. Oh, and do I need 4 wheel drive? I'm travelling w/ 5 other people so we thought about getting a van that holds all 6 of us. Is this feasible?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Me too same question.
But we were there Kruger Sep 2006. Get a map of Kruger, go to SAN web site - http://www.krugerpark.co.za/
Get an excellent map of Kruger from amazon dot com - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184...478810-8224116
In Sep 2006 we had a little VW sedan (two of us). Avis rental, rented it in Joburg after flying in. Off-roading is not permitted in Kruger, so 4WD not necessary. 6 of you, get a van or whatever that has good window visibility (roll down if possible) for all 6.
We've been in around 5 different private safari camps and we also like Kruger. It is a good way to begin the safari journey after long flights in to South Africa. Relaxed, at your own pace, sleep in half a day, inexpensive, real nice hut/bungalows for $30-40 a person a night, meals reasonable price, etc.
We are going back Sep 2007 for probably 4 nights but I have yet to work out the details/lodging.

regards - tom
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Yes Lower Sabie and Olifants are excellent camps but also very busy. If you are adamant you want to stay there my advice is to book as early as possible. Also request perimeter bungalows at both camps, that way you get a view of both the Sabie and olifants rivers from your bungalow. I would also try book a morning walk at Lower Sabie, Wildlife in the area is excellent and you're likely to see a fair bit on a walk there.
Night drives are up to you, it's always advisable if you're not visiting a private lodge but seeing as you are I would leave the night drive in Kruger. 2 night Lower Sabie and 1 night Olifants will be the best bet for animals if you only have 3 nights.
4x4 definetly not necessary as the roads are excellent throughout.
The distance between Lower Sabie and Olifants is roughly 135 kilometres, I may be out a little as I'm aorking it out in my head. That is driving from Lower Sabie via Mlondozi Picnic spot (where you must stop for breakfast!!) to Tshokwane, on to Satara and then on to olifants. As an alternative to Olifants you may give some thought to Letaba, definetly one of my favourite camps in Kruger especially if you are also keen on birds as the camp is well established with large trees. I would stay there before Olifants as it is beautiful but being so high up on the mountains, I always feel a little seperated from the wildlife. But don't let me discourage you, it is a popular camp.
Regards and have a fantastic safari!!
Leonard
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM

As a clarification, that URL given by Tom is an external commercial operator, not the official SANParks website. The latter is www.sanparks.org. This includes full info on Kruger.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM

I visited Kruger and stayed at Lower Sabie (2n), Olifants (2n) and Satara (1n). The drive up to Olifants for just 1 night wasnt worth it, given that it will take atleast 4 hours. Views from the perimeter bungalows at Olifants are spectacular and the region is general is beautiful. However we saw a lot more game in the Lower Sabie - Satara stretch than the Satara-Olifants stretch.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Since you will be heading for Djuma you might consider entering the park from the North making your way south to exit at the Orpen gate, which is probably better than exiting from Kruger gate.

This would allow you to cover some different and less popular (tourist) territory in the park. Consider entering at Phalaborwa, head down to Shimuwini Bush Camp, although this means you'll need to bring your own grub as the camp has no shop and or restaurtant.

Perhaps head the next day to Olifants, my favoutite in the park, finishing up at or neat the Orpen gate.

From Olifants you could mak e a foray into the south of the park and as someone suggested, pack a picnic for the day.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:31 PM

ArthurSA,
Thanks for the correction, I wanted to give the site for SAN but in haste fooled myself. You have to be careful with that at Kruger www sites, it is easy to get "tossed" into a web site that looks like SAN but is not. Accommodation reservations fooled me last year for a while until I found that I could go directly to SAN. Did that, I now have my own ID with Kruger SAN for future reservations
Also, anyone, is game viewing generally good around Satara? Are there lots of "backroads" off of the main asphalt roads?
regards - tom
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

are there any advantages of going to a private reserve first before Kruger rest camps? Or will it just be a let down in Kruger after the private reserves not being as close to the animals?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM

No advantage, although you will have had the input of professional guides and trackers, so that could well open up your own private kruger experience for you.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM

We've been to both, Kruger and Mala Mala, on the same vacation/holiday and would recommend going to Kruger first before any private camp. Like you said, I think Kruger would be a let down after the experience of the private camp. But, we do enjoy Kruger and this Sep will again go to Kruger before going to Kings Camp. But if your first safari, I'd still suggest Kruger first.
regards - tom
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I agree with the adivce that you have received on doing Kruger before the private lodge! Kruger is a wonderful wildlife eden, but your safari experience at Djuma, or which ever private lodge you choose, will be so incredible, that you'd better keep that for last!