South Luangwa or Kruger.... anyone been to both?

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Luangwa or Kruger.... anyone been to both?

In the process of planning prolonged trip in Africa, will start in Tanz and work our way south. We will be visiting multiple national parks but due to constraints we will be forced to choose between visiting either S. Luangwa or Kruger. Has anyone been to both and have any advice to lend toward making a decision.

We are interested in photography and are not the "exclusive lodge" types. I am leaning toward S. Luangwa but keep running into posts about how Kruger is so good (even though it may seem a little too touristy/developed). A comparison would be helpful.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM

Yes, I have been to both parks. The Kruger is better in terms of infrastructure. Roads are very good, even paved, camps and lodges offer basically everything. It caters more for selfdrive-visitors.
Coming from Tanzania you were probably planing to turn off from the Great Northern Road, go down the escarpment and enter the park through its "backdoor" ? That would be a nice tour but the wildlife concentrates along the Luangwa River. The park appears to be more remote but it isn't. It is just a longer drive, more difficult to reach and camps or lodges prefer fly-in-guests. The park itself was pretty much destroyed in the 60ies and 70ies. So what appears to be extra-wild is just neglect. What I am trying to say is, it is probably more economic (time and money) to go to the Kruger. However, depending on your route - in Zambia I would recommend Lower Zambezi NP or the area around Livingsstone.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM

Hi Gred78
I have visited Kruger, both the public and private reserves many times and they are excellent. But the SLNP is tops. (Well after Hwange) Visited Tafika and the walking trails in 2009 and I have just booked Kampani and Kukuli for March 2011. Great game and quality guiding. Very much looking forward to the "green season" experience.
Regards
Elaine
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 06:21 AM

If you enjoy photography and are considering South Luangwa, then have a look at Kaingo Camp (www.kaingo.com) - very popular with photographers. We have been to Kruger and will visit South Luangwa for the first time in October 2011 ( 3 nights at Kaingo, as part of a 4-week self-drive through Namibia, Botswana and Zambia). We plan to spend a night in the elephant hide at Kaingo - possible if you ask in advance. From what I have read and experienced, I would choose SLNP over Kruger. Robin