Few more days in South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, thanks to the great information from you all I'm getting close to finalizing the Bostwana portion of our trip (likely Kwetsani, Savuti, Mombo or Chief's still deciding, and Victoria Falls). So, now onto South Africa.

We plan to spend 4 nights in Cape Town, and 2 nights in the wine country at the start of our trip, then head to Botswana/VF, and end with 2 nights in Johannesburg.

We can probably still spare a few more days. Any ideas on what to do? The Garden Route sounds nice, but since we'll be going late May/early June, I'm not sure how nice that would be. I would've love to see whales on land but it's not the right season. Would you still go to Krugar in addition to Botwana?

Thanks,
Judy
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hmmm...does the additional SA portion have to be at the end of the trip? I did go to Kirkman's Camp when it was part of Mala Mala after my first Botswana trip. While I still enjoyed it (just can't get enough of wildlife) I would have enjoyed it FAR MORE at the beginning of the trip. Gameviewing is great, but it is not really wild and not like being out in the bush. However at the beginning of a trip, SA game lodges can show you lots of big animals, you'll learn alot which will help you appreciate things you see in Bots, you can work the kinks out of your wildlife photo skills...and having seen all the big ones, be prepared for more subtle pleasures (birds, small mammals, etc.) that Botswana may serve up.

One idea: If you can do this (could be Kruger or another Sabi Sands area private reserve) you could add a couple days driving the scenic areas on the rim of the escarpmen inthe northern Drakensberg Mtn in Mpumalanga. (There is a whole drive itinerary-- Panorama Falls, Goods Window, Bourke's Luck Potholes, Blyde River Canyon, etc.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The few more days doesn't have to be at the end. It can be before we go to Botswana. However, I'm a little reluctant adding another game lodge to this vacation, as the husband is not very keen on safari at all. It took a LOT of persuasion to get him to agree to Botswana (though I'm confident he will love it. I have a good track record of dragging him all over the world to places he didn't want to go, and now he loves them all ).

Any other ideas?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Sorry, when you mentioned Kruger, I thought you meant more game lodges!
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply with other ideas.

But if you like hiking and outdoor activities, that same area of the escarpment has wonderful outdoor activities. Nice country lodges, and lots of scenic beauty.

But I'm sure that other, more knowledgeable will have lots of good ideas...
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Blacktie

Looking at your Botswana schedule, and knowing very well what that will be like, and you'll already be in the CT area of SA ... suggest you make a brief flight up to ZuluNatal and spend several nights at Phinda Forest Lodge, to round off your trip. Personally, I think time in J'Burg is a waste, when you could be seeing a wonderful area, which we've found to be more interesting that Kruger. Anyway, MalaMala is nice too.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:40 AM

I was in the cape area this May and the weather was fine for travelling the garden route - not as consistently warm as it might be at other times but not as much rain and wind or as cold as I expected. It was wonderful to drive through some of those mountain passes (be sure to drive through the Franschhoek Pass) and we enjoyed the scenery. We also had fun on the tree tops canopy tour at Storms River village.

If you want more safari and are looking for something different we loved the contrast of self driving (particularly in Ithala and Hluhluwe-Imfolozi) as there was a different kind of thrill in spotting something ourselves, identifying it and not sharing it with anyone else.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Hiking - we like to do that. A place with beautiful scenary, good hiking, great food and really luxurious accommodation would round out the trip perfectly. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:31 PM

We were in SA in May and really enjoyed the Knysna Country Hollow Estate on the Garden Route. Ask for a garden lodge so that you are on your own. They have fireplaces and provide wood daily for your convenience which is a really nice touch in the cool of the evenings.
We happily used this as a base for horseback riding the tree top canopy tour and hiking in the Knysna forest area.
I won't kid you and say that the Garden Route between Knysna and Port Elizabeth was spectacular in May. Most of the fields were fallow. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, it was still one of the best experiences of our lives.
Outside of the farm land the forest and scenery was gorgeous. The activites were numerous and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. My husband is much like yours by the sounds of it. I drag him off to places and he ends up loving them. We went with our two adult children, 21 and 23, and they both enjoyed every second. The Garden Route has activities for everyone. You will not be disappointed even in May.