Nile Cruise Advice

Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Nile Cruise Advice

We have been to Egypt 3 times but have never been on a Nile cruise from Aswan/Luxor. My husband works in Cairo but the summer is too warm to visit Luxor, so we are planning on a trip over Xmas.

My questions are:

Does it matter whether we start in Aswan or Luxor?
Any recommedations regarding cruise lines.

We will have 4 adults and 3 children ages 18, 15 and 12.

Lisa
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM

If you have the time and want a relaxing trip...then go ( fly) Luxor then cruise to Aswan...........from Aswan to (fly) Abu Simble,then from Abu Simble to Aswan and cruise back to Luxor and then fly to Cairo.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:03 AM

Most of the Nile cruises are 3 nights from Aswan to Luxor and 4 nights from Luxor to Aswan (longer due to currents) and only one night is really "cruising the nile" - you are docked in either Aswan or Luxor for the other nights which really means the cruise is just a floating hotel (I believe it is the law that cruises must be at least 3 nights but could be corrected on that).

If you look at the itineraries for each direction you'll find you see all the same sites - just in a slightly different manner. When I was planning our trip I read that some people think it's better to start in Aswan so you finish with the "bigger" temples/sites but don't think that really matters much.

We were on the Oberoi Philae and really enjoyed it - two things you might want to consider - hire a private guide (with private transportation) to accompany you on the cruise - that way the touring can be tailored to meet your group's needs (size/age range).

And two - strongly suggest you visit Abu Simbel! Here's a link to our blog for more info

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...ards_2008_adv/

ON the righthand side use the links to Cairo and Nile - happy to answer any questions.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:35 AM

When we did our Nile cruise a few years ago, we overnighted 2 places I think.....maybe Kom Ombo and Esna.

Altho - I didn't really care about the ship sailing at night. I just liked watching the banks of the Nile go by as we sailed during the afternoon!

Just check the itinerary for the ship you are considering.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:00 AM

We did our cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
Flew from Cairo via Aswan (though as all paxs were going to Abu Simbel, they went straight on) to Abu Simbel. Spent the 2+/hrs here and flew to Aswan to board our cruiser.

Afternoon spent on boat, with sightseeing in/around Aswan. Next morning visit to Philae Island, High Dam, Unfinished Obelisk; afternoon cruise to Kom Ombo and overnight cruise to Esna where we docked.

Next morning visit Esna; afternoon cruise to Esna; thru the locks to Luxor for overnight.

Next morning sightseeing at Valley of Kings/Queens, afternoon was scheduled for Luxor and Karnak Temples, but we passed and instead enjoyed Luxor, with sundowners on terrace of one of the hotels and people watching; evening Light & Sound at Luxor Temple; overnight on cruiser.

Next morning, when others left, we visited Luxor and Karnak Temples on our own; returned to boat for lunch and leisurely afternoon on pool deck till evening transfer to airport and flight to CAI. New guests for the return trip to Aswan were already boarding by the time we returning from morning sightseeing, but we were able to use ship facilities for the afternoon at no charge; meals/beverages were paid a la carte (inexpensive... maybe $10).

While we spent the night onboard once we arrived in Luxor, many spend these 2/nts at a hotel.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM

We sailed from Aswan North to Dendara. We stopped at a different location each day with stops at Philae Island, Kom Ombo, Esna, Edfu, Abydos, and Dendara and lots of little places along the way. Each stop gave us time to go ashore and explore. The cruise was 7 nights. What ever your choice, you're sure to enjoy it.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your input. This is something we definately would like to do. My husband has never been to Aswan or Luxor either even though he lives in Cairo.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Elizabeth, your report on the Nile Cruise was wonderful!

Are you from Canada? You made reference to Remax and that is a CDN realestate company.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM

Lisa - yes we're in Toronto
Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I am in Edmonton, but originally from Toronto. Thanks for all the info.
Apr 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

My husband's company does business with Sonesta Nile Cruises so that is the line we are taking. We will be in Cairo in July for 5 weeks so I will do more research then.

Thank you all for your help and advice.