tour of Egypt without Nile cruise

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

tour of Egypt without Nile cruise

While in Egypt would I miss a lot by not going on a Nile cruise?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM

We were very lucky to catch a Nile boat that went from Aswan back to Cairo. Apparently in June they bring the boats North for service during the "off" season. We saw so much that most people never see. So I would really recommend it, if you can find one and have the time. Otherwise, I guess you can get from Aswan to Luxor any old way.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:01 AM

hi
we are just back from egypt (in may) and the highlight of our trip apart from hurghada, which is a must see, is doing the nile cruise. it is such a relaxed way to do your sightseeing. go in any of the 5 star cruises from aswan or luxor, depending on your itinerary.
the cruise cabins are large in comparison and very comfortable. there is night entertainment, like the disco night, the galabiya party and belly dancing.in short nile cruise should be done just for the experience.
enjoy egypt!
vineetha
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:15 AM

We did the Nile cruise on our first trip and have not done it since, in the last 7 or 8 trips. Although interesting, we found it frustrating to be so close to the antiquities yet so far sometimes. Travel by road has been more efficient for us, and quite a bit more flexible.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:10 PM

If this is your first trip to Egypt, I would recommend taking a Nile cruise for a portion of your visit. We just returned from Egypt, and found that the cruise was a welcome reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the streets. The boat is basically a floating hotel, and makes it easy to get from site to site. The focus of the cruise is visiting the sites, rather than lots of activities on board.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:55 PM

YES take a cruise. It was a haven after being asked to buy something constantly. I could take the folks for a while but after a long hot day of sight seeing it was so nice to board ship and be left alone and relax. Don't get me wrong, I understand that tourist are the #1 income in Egypt but after several hours, it does get on your nerves. The food was great and the pace slow. Enjoy your trip, wish I could go again!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM

It's wonderful to glide by the farms on the banks of the Nile, seeing the Felaheen work their lands as they have for eons. If it weren't for Kenny G playing on the ship's intercom, you'd almost think you had sailed back in time!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:12 AM

Hurghada, a must see!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Hello,

I didn't do a cruise on my 10-day visit to Egypt, and I honestly don't think I missed much -- I sailed on the Nile in a felucca as the ancients did, and enjoyed the monuments on my own without being herded around by the cruise tour guides like a chid on a school trip. I saw a number of cruise tour groups in Luxor, and I would have hated to be in one of them.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 04:21 AM

We did the Nile Cruise. Skipped the disco and dress up part as did almost everyone else on boat. Never felt "herded" like kid on trip. Loved the experience of floating along seeing shore of Nile - could have been thousands of years ago watching ancient farming methods, water buffalo, etc. Sitting on top deck at night under the stars also fantastic.

Did cruise because it was part of smallish tour we took (about 25 people) and was not interested in privately arranging transportation to/from the various places we saw. We are not tour people - have done every other trip anywhere independently - but this was different and positive.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I like the idea of not being part of the group but I am only going for 7 days. How can we see Luxor and other places on the nile without being on a cruise from Cairo? I like the idea of a felucca...