Newbie with questions

Apr 4th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Newbie with questions

Hi, just registered here on my friends recommendation. She is currently on Safari in S. Africa with her Dad and am anxiously awaiting her return to hear all the details. She found this site helpful so I'm here with a few questions of my own. My husband and I just booked a trip to S. Africa for next Oct. We will be attending a meeting in Cape Town(Table hotel) and the safari just 'happened' before I had time to really investigate(some friends of ours booked it and we just joined them). It has been booked through Abercrombie&Kent. We will spend a few nights at the Eagle Island Okavango Delta Camp(raised permanent tents), then on to Chobe Chilwero Lodge, and end up in Victoria Falls Hotel. Any comments on these itineraries/lodging would be appreciated.
Also, we were told that the small planes would only accomodate 22lbs of luggage per person. My camera bag/accessories weighs 9lbs but I'll wear the same clothes the entire Safari if I have to, my camera is the most important thing! Any tips on what to bring/wear would also be great.

One more thing, we need to book a hotel for 1 night in Johannesburg for the night before our Safari, any recommendations?

Sorry this is so long, thanks in advance for any advice!

momofmany(we have 4 kids who will be staying home!!!)
Apr 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Welcome to board. I have no answers to your questions, but I suggest you break them up and repost with clear heading. For example, you might post "one night hotel in Johannesburg" or "Abercrombie and Kent 10 day safari".

When you get back, we all like to hear about the trip, so if you have the time, you might post something like "Trip report" 10 day Abercromie and Kent safari"

While posters are generally very nice on the Africa and Middle East section of Fodors, if you post on other sections, a few posters can get a little nasty - just ignore it.

Hope you get answers to your questions and enjoy your trip.
Apr 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Generally they weigh your main bag at Maun prior to your departure for the small camps. In my experience if your main bag is under the 22lb limit then they wont look too closely at hand luggage, cameras are definitely hand luggage in this case.
If you are not locked in you might want to consider Wilderness Safaris who have a 40lb weight limit on their transfer flights.
Apr 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM

The safari that "just happened." That should bring a smile to the lips of many posters who agonize for literally years over their itineraries, make changes, book, make additional changes, etc.

Eagle Island Okavango Delta--Have not been to that camp but typical of delta water camps, you'll get a close encounter with the magnificant Okavango Delta. Mekoro rides will be highlight here. I just found out it has one of the most romantic bars in the world according to the New York Times. Other game is present but the emphasis is on the hippos, crocs, and birds of the delta. Maybe the elusive sitatunga and Pel's Fishing Owl.

Chobe--I have not been at Chilwero, but loved Chobe while on a mobile safari. Here will be your big game. Elephants are especially plentiful. A sunset cruise on the Chobe River provides excellent wildlife viewing. I'm sure that is part of the A&K itinerary, but it is worth requesting, if not.

Victoria Falls Hotel--I have stayed at this classy and classic hotel. It probably has the shortest walk to the falls of anyplace.

I have not had my camera bag counted. When needed I wear my binoculars as an accessory, reducing my luggage weight.

If you put packing in the search box at the top many tips should come up. If not, I have those packing tip links saved somewhere and you can email me for them.

Joburg Hotel--I have used Holiday Inn at the Airport, one of the less expensive options, but extremely safe and comfortable. There are numerous others at the airport.

Have a good time and please post again.
Apr 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34782437

Above is a current packing thread.
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

gail, thank you for the welcome and the warning!
napamatt, it was quite clear in the insert we got that the 22lbs limit INCLUDED hand luggage(it specifically mentioned camera equipment which prompted me to weigh it). Guess I should contact A&K and ask them directly. We are 'locked' in to this company/itinerary because of the other people going with us.
atravelynn, thank you so much for your input. The packing link was very helpful. Lots of stuff I would not have thought of. Will def. post again!

momofmany
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
santharamhari

I must say, that on my last trip we were a party of 4.....had many small soft duffels between us. Moremi air deceided to send one of our bags on the next flight to Lebala for us. They do try to accomodate extra bags......but dont count on it.....

Hari

Apr 5th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Hi momofmany,

In September 2001, I also did a trip with A & K and I was at Chobe Chilwero. I was travelling with my parents and an 11 year old niece, and it was a lovely lodge. The gameviewing there was great on the water, but not so great on the land, except for the eles, which were everywhere. The number is unbelievable! I did see two single sable antelope bulls which was fantastic, but otherwise the land gamedrives just showed me how great the water gamedrives were, but I think we could only do one water per day. I think you will really enjoy your trip, and the early trips just show you how to do the next trip, and so it goes on!

I stay at the Intercontinental Airport Sun which is expensive but for me, it is too convenient to pass up as I usually arrive later in the day and leave earlier in the morning, and walking out of the airport, across the road and I am at the hotel.

Kind regards,
Kaye

Search this Thread