Search

Chief's Camp Luggage Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chief's Camp Luggage Advice

My fiancee and I are heading to Chief's Camp in a few weeks, and I was just reviewing the FAQ sheet on the Sanctuary website. The FAQ mentions that each person (flying into camp on their puddle-jumper aircraft) is restricted to 12kg of luaggage in a soft-sided bag. The soft-sided bag is no problem; the 12kg weight limit will be challenging (despite the daily laundry service!).

I've only taken safaris in South Africa before, and in my experience, they've been very lenient on the luggage weight requirement. Can I expect the same for Chief's? Or, should we really work hard to keep our bags light?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:43 PM
santharamhari

They arent going to limit you to your exact 12kgs.......but, yes try to keep it as light as possible.

What i did last year was take two smallish duffels instead of one that weighs exactly 12kgs......

All Bots camps have daily laundry and so really try not to pack too much......

Hari

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Howdy Jherman - really do suggest you go back to your agent on this one. 12KG is THE limit. Although have heard the weight may have increased it may depend upon which aircraft you are on Sefofane is a 12KG limit. Also - you don't mention how long you are staying at Cheif's Camp. The 12KG limit is only for the luggage component - your carry on day pack and photo equipment (within limits I think) is added on to the 12KG.

Suggest you wear your heaviest boots on the plane.

Just for fun go see the thread "We are weighing our ballpoint pens now" a current discussion on what to pack...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34934728
Happy Packing!
You're gonna love it
Thembi

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice! We're only at Chief's for 4 days/3 nights...so if we put our minds to it, we really shouldn't need to overpack. I will have a backpack for all of my camera gear and some other assorted items...and I'll make sure that my fiancee has her own small carry-on, as well.

We're really looking forward to safari in the Delta. I used to travel to Gabarone a lot on business but unfortunately, never made it up to this area. I'll be interested to see how Chief's compares to my other safari experiences at Ulusaba, Sabi Sabi, and Bongani.

Cheers!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM
santharamhari

Jherman,

For 4 days, you wouldnt need to overpack.

Enjoy the delta!!!

Hari