New info on Lemuria?

May 14th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

New info on Lemuria?

Hello--

I just ran across Lemuria Resort when perusing my Relais & Chateaux guide. Any recent input on this place? My dear friend and mentor started a terrific bookstore, also named Lemuria, about 25 years ago and I'd like to be able to recommend it to him if it's up to snuff. thanks for the input...
May 14th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Do you mean Lemuria in the Seychelles?
If yes, what would you like to know?
May 15th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Oops, yes, I do mean Lemuria Resort in the Seychelles. When I posted the topic I selected "Seychelles" as a searchable term but I forgot to put it in my post.

Looking for info regarding level of luxury, quality of food, ease of airport transfers. What is its closest international airport? Is English spoken there? How is the water surrounding the resort for swimming? Is it smooth? Rough? Depending on season? Can lower prices be found than are what is listed on the website? Is it romantic? Relaxing? Or more active? That sort of thing. THanks!
May 16th, 2003, 03:46 PM
sandi

Lemuria is one of the newest resorts in The Seychelles and is top rated.
There is one International airport and that is on the main island of Mahe. To get to other islands there are small prop plans carrying about 19, boats, or helicopters... depending on where you're going.
Yes, English is spoken along with French, Italian and Seychellois. The small three page newspaper is in three languages - Eng, Fr, Seych. as is the one TV station.
The water is potable, but bottle water is available. The water around the islands are heavenly and the most magnificent colors of blue.
Like most islands, things are expensive as most everything has to be imported... I believe the only thing they produce is toilet paper and a their wonderful beer - Seybrew.
What can I say other than the islands are paradise.

May 21st, 2003, 11:35 AM

Well, there are three official live languages in the Seychelles: Creole, English and French.

Creole was adapted as a first official language in 1981.
English is second. English is language of govenment and commerce
French is third.

Creole in Seychelles is mixed of French, Malgasy, Bantu, English and Hindu. Because Seychelles islands are very popular with Italians thus Italian is spoken in some resorts but it is not one of three official languages.

Driving in the Seychelles is on the left side and you can rent a car on only two islands, Mahe and Praslin.

We never stayed in Lemuria but it is a popular resort. Lemuria is expensive, IMHO, and the rates include only accommodations and breakfast. For everything else you have to pay extra and it costs a lot more there than in many other places. Our Parisian friends stayed there and their villa was beautiful but they were a little upset being charged for the smallest things.

There is a fast 1-hour ferry (could be very, very rough) from Mahe to Praslin where Lemuria is located. As Sandi said small planes fly from Mahe to Praslin but only way to get to La Digue Island is first to take a ferry or a plane from Mahe to Praslin and then another ferry to La Digue. Or you could take a 20-minute helicopter shuttle from Mahe to La Digue for only 160 euros per person. You can also take a helicopter once you arrive on Praslin from the airport directly to Lemuria. For 7 minutes flight you will pay only (!!) 310 euros per person. You may take a taxi for about 20 euros. It is a short taxi ride north of the airport in Praslin. The airport on Praslin is very new and spotless. You may be surprised but the best restaurant on Praslin is located in the airport. And the food is better and much cheaper than in any of the three restaurants in Lemuria resort.

It is 10-11 hours flight from/to Paris with Air Seychelles which flies a brand new 767 and service is exceptional every time we fly. You may also fly from London via Nairobi, Rome, Dubai, Maurice and a few other places. I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. We return year after year to the Seychelles.
May 27th, 2003, 05:51 PM

Jut a couple of additions. Air Seychelles flies a nonstop from London, along with a 1 stopper. They also serve Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt, Singapore, Bombay, Male, Johannesburg and Mauritius. British Air has two flights a week via Nairobi (temporarily Entebbe).

And Lemuria does offer rooms with breakfast and dinner included. You can also get golf greens fees included though some of the wholesalers.
May 29th, 2003, 03:30 AM
RBO

OK, ejcrowe. Let us know what are your thoughts about Lemuria. Are you going to send him there?
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

i think I can safely recommend Lemuria to my friend John. It sounds lovely to me, and as money usually is not an object for him (as long as he feels he's getting good value for it), it sounds right up his alley. Now that his kids have left home and his business is in good hands with his gen manager, he and his wife are now rediscovering the joys of travel. (They had previously contained all of their travel in the Caribbean, for time and convenience sake. Now they're unleashed and going to spend 3 weeks in Italy this fall.)

Thanks for all the input, folks! And if you'd like to check out his bookstore named for the lost civilation, check out www.lemuriabooks.com One of the best bookstores in the country (US).

Search this Thread