HLUHLUWE-UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE

Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

HLUHLUWE-UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE

I will be in South Africa for the first time in October 2003 and have three days to stay in a game preserve. I am booked for HLUHLUWE-UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE. any comments on this reserve would be appreciated. I am really interested in seeing the big 5. Thanks for any help. Also, are Visa Credit cards accepted in South Africa? Jim
Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:31 PM

JIMR

Visa cards are widely accepted, although I believe MasterCard use is most widespread.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:52 PM

Hi Jim
This is my absolute favourite, favourite part of the world - deep in the heart of Zululand. BTW the pronounciation of Hluhluwe (if you are interested) is "shlushLOOwee". This part of SA is by far and away the most beautiful, beats the Cape hands down in my opinion: mountains on one side, ocean on the other joined to a world heritage site estuary and sub-tropical forest squashed into the middle. Hluhluwe-Umfolozi is one of the National Parks Board operations - and is to their usual excellent standards, to my knowledge they have the Big 5. Please remember that this is a malaria area so take the necessary precautions. The reserve is about 2.5 hours drive from Durban. In this area you will also encounter the Zulu culture - truly amazing and a fascinating history.
Credit cards are widely accepted all over SA. In addition to Visa and Mastercard, a lot of hotels and restaurants also take Amex and Diners Club.
Welcome to SA!
traci
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information Traci and Province! The people on the board are always so helpful. Thanks again .... Jim
Jun 4th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Vette4Paris

Friends were in this park three days several years ago, and reported that it was important to use ranger services beacuse it greatly improved the possibility of seeing the Big Five and other game. Self drives, while popular, simply didin't deliver. Suggest you make reservations with the rangers to go out with them. All drives are along paved roads, and you are not permitted to go cross country.

Jun 6th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Hi

You lucky devil !! We have just returned from South Africa and spent 4 early morning game drives in Hluhluwe - a wonderful place. Unfortunately we only saw 2 of the big five, but we didn't mind as this is how life is in the wild. Just have to go back and see what happens next time.

We actually stayed at Ubizane Game Lodge(private reserve next door to Hluhluwe). Our rangers took us into the Hluhluwe Park each morning at 6am and we did evening rides at Ubizane. An amazing experience - even though I was brought up in South Africa I am still very excited when I go back for holidays.

Holly
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Holly! Jim

Search this Thread