Suggestions Morocco in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 11 days in Morocco in August, flying in and out of Casablanca. Any suggestions for air-conditioned hotels and a good itinerary?Would the desert be too hot to be enjoyable?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:07 PM
sandi

There are loads of itineraries for Morocco - just do a search for "Morocco Itineraries or Tour Operators" and you'll find companies located in the States, Morocco and UK. Just go into any of them and see what they're offering - cities, hotels, group or independent tours, and your budget.

Re the heat - well as they say about Las Vegas - "but there's no humidity". August is hot and you're not that far from the Equator, so HOT it will be.

Most quality hotels will have air conditioning, though smaller places might only have fans.

Check the sites and see what's being offered. Also get to a bookstore and browse for ideas from guidebooks. Even buy one as they are good to have.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

I am actually looking for a lot more detail on Morocco in August than guidebooks convey. Can anyone tell me any small, moderately priced hotels outside of the cities that have good air-conditioning? August prices for some hotels such as Palais Jamais are sky high and I would like to avoid the big chain hotels. Is Ouarzazate just too unbearably hot in the summer? Should we not even think of sleeping in a Berber tent? Should we avoid Essaouira because it is mobbed with tourists in August? These are the kinds of questions I have. I am hoping that someone has some firsthand knowledge.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:33 PM
sandi

Meredith - You're right on with the issues of August travel to Morocco and guidebooks probably won't advise you honestly, though they can be good for history and reviews of hotels and restaurants.

I wouldn't want to be in a tent in the sands (heat), nor in Essouira (crowds) - the latter because all of Europe is traveling then.

As mentioned in my previous post, if you check some of the websites you'll see when the prices go down by season, either "low" or "shoulder" and there were lots of small hotels listed. I'm sorry, but I don't have my list of websites available to provide, but do a search, that's how I found most of my information.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Meredith,
We have researched this, we are also going in August for vacation - 1 week in Morocco. While it is the low season, I found a limited selection of accommodations. We went with popular places with good reputations, simply because I think it will be HOT. With that in mind, many of the riads didn't mention air. As for itinerary, we settled on Marrakech and Fez, with a few day trips to different areas. Good luck and let me know if I can help with more questions!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:28 AM

If you are headed towards the desert near Merzouga, check out the Hotel Kasbah Asmaa in Erfoud. I've read really positive reports - pool & airco. Also you might want to ask your question on the Thorn Tree Africa board of Lonely Planet - there are a lot of active Morocco travellers there.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:38 AM

My daughter and I just returned from 11 days in Morocco in May. One of the highlights was staying at Riyad Nora in Marrakesh: www.riyadnora.com
It was lovely, with only four rooms, reasonably priced and the rooms have AC. The owner meets you either at the airport or the train station to bring you to the Riyad because you would never find it without someone showing you the way. It is in the heart of the medina in a maze of streets and I would recommend practice finding your way around before dark.
While in Marrakesh, we took a day trip to Cascades d'Ozoud which I would also highly recommend. The waterfalls were spectacular. We walked through an olive grove down one side of the falls, at the bottom went across in a tugboat, and then walked up the other side and saw monkeys. We booked the daytrip at Hotel Ali, just off the Place Djemaa el Fna or you could hire a grande taxi.
In Fes we stayed at Hotel Splendid, a budget priced, modern, comfortable and convenient hotel with AC and an internet café just down the street. The décor was outdated but it was spotless. Or if you're looking for more of a Moroccan experience you might want to look into staying at a Riyad in Fes as well.
We began our trip in Essaouria which we loved and it out to be our favourite place to shop in Morocco. We were glad to begin our trip there as it helped ease us into the culture before going to Marrakesh. I'm not sure how crowded it will be there in August. Tourism seems to be down across Morocco and we found all of Morocco less crowded than we expected.
I hope this helps.