Bora-Bora, New Caledonia, or Vanuatu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing some maths and it appears Bora-Bora is almost twice more expensive than NewCalendonia and Vanuatu, I'm wondering if the extra cost to go to Tahiti is worth it in terms of the beauty of the place. I am travelling with wife and 2 year old daughter & we're looking for warm weather, good food, friendly local people, cleanliness, white sand beaches, rest & relaxation. Any suggestions on the three locations?
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM

Wayne, I don't know about Bora Bora or New Calendonia, but for Vanuata, I would recommend the following:
* Don't spend a lot of time in Port Vila, perhaps one night in transit, fly to Santo, to see WW2 wrecks at Million Dollar Point and in the jungle. If you want to see the blue holes on Santo, barter with a local taxi driver (cheaper than an organised tour)and hire him for the full/or half day. A beautiful island off Santo is Bokissa Island.
The next island worth 3 nights would be Tanna Island, for the volcano & swimming around the coral reefs at White Sand Resort Hotel, which is built on an old lava flow.
Port Vila is okay for 1 or 2 nights, or in transit to outer islands.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM

Something to consider if you will be departing from the U.S.--the airfare to Vanuatu or New Caledonia will cost considerably more than the airfare to French Polynesia. Flight time will be much longer, too. From L.A. to French Polynesia, the flight is only about 8 hours. Plus, there are plenty of other islands in French Polynesia that are cheaper than Bora Bora. Consider Moorea or Huahine--both are lovely.
When we visited Vanuatu, we had to take anti-malarials, which is another thing you should think about, as you will be traveling with your child. Malaria is more of a risk on the outer islands, less so in Port Vila. Have a look at this:
http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destin...a/vanuatu.html
Dengue fever is also a risk in Vanuatu; the risk is less in New Caledonia or French Polynesia.
Have you considered the Cook Islands? Also beautiful. Accommodations in the Cook Islands tend to be cheaper than comparable accommodations in Bora Bora, Vanuatu or New Caledonia.
By the way, New Caledonia can be pricy, as well. The currency of New Caledonia, like that of French Polynesia, is pegged to the Euro.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM

Don't know what happened to my post. I see it when I want to make a reply but not with the original post. Anyway, I have been to all three places you mention and taking all considerations, I think you would love the Cook Islands. And, maybe a side trip to Aitutaki.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM

Whoops, made a error there, the Hotel on Tanna should read, "White Grass Ocean Resort"
As for malaria etc....there are hundreds of Australian tourist visiting Vanuata & outer islands every week, and I don't think they are taking medications, etc. (well at least myself, most of my friends don't, and they didn't have a problem)but if you did visit Vanuata, and your concerned, then take the medication.
Come to think of it, if you visit Australia, make sure you take medication for dengue fever, Ross River fever.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Diamantina & Louise for suggestions on Cooks!! I read a few other posts also with good feedback on Cooks - any suggestions for us as far as which Cook islands are better suited for travel with 2 year old and good value (less than US$300/night) hotel options? Just looking for relaxing by pool & beach.
-Wayne
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM

The only " medication " you can take for Dengue Fever and Ross River Virus ( both of which are everywhere in tropical and sub-tropical areas except RRV as it is as far south as Melbourne) is by making sure that you use insect repellant with DEET - New Caledonia and Vanuatu would be just as likely to have them as Australia.