Reload this Page >

Need recs for a private tour guide in Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Taylor Winston

We are looking for a great guide (knowedgeable and entertaining) for a full day tour of Cape Peninsula and maybe Stellenbosch too. Has anyone toured with Mother City tours, Natural Feeling tours, Mervyn Sparks or Selwyn Davidowitz? Please let me know. Also does anyone know have much a taxi will cost from the V&A Waterfront to the rail station?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:20 PM
Sandy

Trevor Earl and his wife, Tessa Redman are the best guides in Cape Town. [email protected]<BR>Trevor is an expert on wine -- does private tours to the wine country, as well.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:14 AM
Joan

We are going to use Selwyn Davidowitz.I just like the way he puts his tours together.We haven't gone yet so I can't give you a good account though. But he does have alot of good referances.<BR> I know of someone who just took a tour with him,but they won't be back till the end of this month.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:14 AM
pam

Taylor,<BR><BR>Sorry for the late reply! My husband and I were in Cape Town this past February and went on the most amazing tour with Rob Davidowitz. He is a local Capetonian and gentleman wine grower. We told him a general idea of what we wanted to do and he set up a fantastic day's outing to the Cape and ending in a wonderful lunch at Buitenverwachting (outstanding). <BR><BR> To top it off he gathered all of the e-mails for our friends and family back home and e-mailed them pictures he had taken on his digital camera from the day's travels! By the time we returned from dinner that evening the pictures had already been sent back home.<BR><BR>I highly recommend a tour with him, he does not allow more than 2-4 people on a tour, and ONLY allows people from the same family.<BR><BR>His website is:<BR><BR>http://users.iafrica.com/r/ro/robair/Tours_Personal.htm<BR><BR>Pam<BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Joan

Pam and Taylor,<BR>Just an interesting point of interest.<BR> Selwyn Davidowitz and Rob Davidowitz are brothers. So I am glad to hear Rob is good also.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Taylor

Thanks Pam and Joan for the info. I checked into both Selwyn and Rob (I suspected they were related). Both seem highly recommended but I think we'll try Rob on this trip given my fiance was a pilot I think he'd enjoy talking with Rob.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Joan

Tayor, Have a great trip and I would love to hear how it goes when you get back.<BR> Thanks

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:38 AM
pam

Taylor,<BR><BR>Please tell Rob that Pam and Dan say "hi". You will have a blast!<BR><BR>Pam

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have also toured with Selwyn Davidowitz and had a fantastic day. What you get with Selwyn is not an anodyne out-of-a-guide-book kind of tour but a very personal and entertaining and fascinating experience.

For your information, Selywn also won the Wanderlust Guide Of The Year Award in 2007. The contestants are nominated by readers of the magazine and Selwyn (and other finalists) received lots and lots and lots of letters of recommendation which were referenced by the judges making the award.

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/article.php?page_id=636
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM

+1 for Selwyn! We toured with him in 2003 and then saw him again this year and I would highly recommend him. We met Rob also but did not tour with him, but I presume he is also excellent.

We also had a great experience with Far Out Adventures (Justin and Francois) this past June. http://www.faroutevents.co.za/ These are two very fun, young, adventurous guides and we had a great day with them on the Cape Peninsula.

Chris
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM

A less expensive option is Rhino Africa. We couldn't believe how reasonable their prices were in May 2009. They were very knowledgable, helpful and especially accomodating. We had two different people from the company, Graham (and another guy whose name I have forgotten), and both were great!