Capetown in Six Days

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:41 AM
nraza

Capetown in Six Days

We're meeting my husbands parents in Capetown and plan to rent a car and stay in a rented flat... any advice? They live in Kenya and are familiar with SA, but I'd like to make the trip as smooth as possible.
we'd also like to visit the winelands and see the whales at Hermanus. Should tours be prearranged or can we find better options once we arrive in Capetown?
We shall be there early September, and would also appreciate advice on dining options and jazz venues.

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:53 AM
Evelyntrav

One of the most eye-opening experiences I had in Cape Town was going on a half-day small group tour to the townships. There are several companies that run these tours and only 10% of the people who visit CT go on them. In addition to meeting people, we visited a grocery, a herbal shop and a school. We also drove around the Cape Malay and District Six areas and visited the District Six museum. A percentage of the trip cost (about $24) includes a contribution to a fund to improve this area. We did not feel unwelcome in this area, in fact, many were pleased to have the extra money and have their plight made more public.

I prearranged the tour over the internet, but I don't think it is necessary.

Aug 1st, 2002, 08:20 AM
Allen

Cape Town and the winelands are fantastic and offer a great deal. One item to be sure and see are the penguins. In the past I have used a company that can do anything you might need. You can reach them via email at "[email protected]" if you wish to prearrange. Also, their knowledge of the winelands is excellent. Have a great time!

Aug 1st, 2002, 06:26 PM
Saleem

As a Capetownian living abroad it give me great pleasure to suggest the following: (1) Hermanus Whale festival takes place in September each year. About an hour and a half drive from Cape Town. Do not take a tour. Get directions and follow the crowd/traffic. Leave at around 9a.m. Take binoculars and have lunch at the Ocean Basket in Hermanus (reservations not required)for finger licking good seafood. Have the seafood platter for 2. You can thank me later. Check out www.hermanus.co.za (2) - Take the special Spier train to and from "The Spier" - wine country for a wine excursion. Check out their website www.spier.co.za (3) Stellenbosch is wine country. It is about 45 minutes drive from Cape Town. I do not drink so ask locals once you get there.

Have loads of fun.

Aug 14th, 2002, 02:08 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Nraza,

I am sure that your stay in Cape Town will be a wonderful one as the city has so much to offer visitors.

A far as renting an apartment is concerned may I suggest that you go to the following website:

http://www.villageandlife.com

There is no question my mind that as a tourism professional this is one of the best places to get a great deal in cape Town for the type of accommodation that you are seeking.

As far as booking tours upfront is concerned if you are not looking for a private tour then I would think that booking in advance would not be necessary as you can book scheduled tours easily a day in advance

In terms of going to the Hermanus I fully concur with what all, especially Saleem, has told you already. Your timing is perfect in terms of your seeing the whales in Hermanus. Whatever you do please do not miss out on travelling along the Cape Peninsula on your way to Cape Point as this could well be the pinnacle of your whole journey.

Hope that you have a wonderful stay in our city.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Aug 24th, 2002, 02:42 AM
nraza

Thank you all for the advice, especially Saleem and Selwyn. We've arranged accomodation etc. already...
now the only problem is trying to fit everything into this short trip.

Search this Thread