Search

Cape Town Tour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town Tour

I have been focusing on the 'safari' part of our trip so much(we leave on Tues 10/3) that I just realized I have an open day in Cape Town. My husband will be attending a meeting there and I have 2 short excursions scheduled through the meeting group(Table Bay Sailing, a history tour, wineries). They offer a Cape Peninsula Tour(Cape point, Cape of Good Hope,Boulder Beach, Chapman's Peak) but I will be on a plane that day. I would really like to do the Cape Peninsula Tour(or something very similar,it could be an all day tour 9-3). Should I book this now or could I book it once I arrive? Having never been to SA before I am unsure how "touristy" it is. I know big cities in the US have a tour bus at every street corner. Does anyone have a tour company they recommend? Like I said, we leave on Tues so I don't have alot of time. I'm sure the conciege at the Table Bay could arrange something but I thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks in advance,

momofmany
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM

Try http://hyltonross.com.
They offer various tours, as well as two different hop on and off tours. One through the city and one "mini Peninsula" tour. They also offer various other half day and full day tours.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Hi Mom,

You may want to get in touch with Selwyn Davidowitz -- he's a guide in Cape Town and has introduced many Fodorites to his lovely city. His website is http://www.ilovecapetown.com

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM

momof many - I've never met Selwyn but have read his many helpful posts here. I've also read reports from people who have enjoyed touring with him so I would also recommend checking him out.

Whoever you go with, consider a private tour if you're short of time. that way it can be customized to your needs and give you exactly what you want to do on your day in Cape Town.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:27 AM
santharamhari

I used HyltonRoss back in 2003...during my visit with friends for the Cricket World cup. Our guide was fantastic....David Alt!!! Anyone bookign with Hylton Ross, i suggest requesting for David.....

Hari