Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Need Itinerary Help: Turkey, Isreal, Egypt and Greece

Need Itinerary Help: Turkey, Isreal, Egypt and Greece

Jul 7th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Karen

Need Itinerary Help: Turkey, Isreal, Egypt and Greece

My husband and I are planning a trip to Turkey, Isreal, Egypt and Greece. We plan to travel in that order, I am looking for recommendations on hotels and "must sees" for any or all of the mentioned places. We had wanted to spend about a week in each place, but are flexible and would love any recommendations. We also wanted to know what the best way to get from Egypt to Greece.
Thanks in advance

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:56 AM
mike

In Cairo DO NOT USE AMIGO TOURS for anything. They are big rip offs. The Dahab Hotel is dirty and wihout hot water. I would recommed 3 days in Cairo to see the pyramids, museum and mosques; 3 days in Luxor for the temples and valleys and rest; two days in Athens to see the Acropolis, smell the pollution and see the city; 2-3 days on any one Greek Island unless you want nothing to do but lounge and shop; and week in Jerusalem to see the city, eat the food, experience the culture and you can take tours to other parts of Israel easily (Masada, Dead Sea, Petra, Etc). A great B&B in Jerusalem is The Allenby #2. Next to the bus station and about a 20 minute walk to old city. It is quite, has internet (costs $), helpful and a good breakfast.

Jul 13th, 2000, 06:21 AM
shannon

While in Jerusalam, go to the Tower of David museum and if you can, arrange a English-speaking guide. We had a fabulous one and he told us many things that we never would have read in a guide. He also took us to the Dead Sea which was wonderful. Take one day out of your time in Jerusalem to make the day trip to the Dead Sea, float in the salty water and marvel at the nomads that live in the hills as you drive by. It's an amazing site to see and completely worth it. We were only there for a three days and it was worth the "lost" day in Jerusalem. Also, while in Jerusalem you must go into the Mosque!!! Be considerate of what you wear, especially as a woman and be aware that the mosque is only open to "the public" for small slivers of time in the day/week. Go into the different gates, for instance the Jaffa Gate is very different than the one entering the Arab corner. It's amazing that they are in the same city!

We had the most wonderful time there. If you would like more info, please email me.

Nov 5th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Jayne

My husband and I are planning a trip to Egypt and Turkey. Please let me know if you learn about any interesting tour companies.

Nov 5th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Lisa

I used an excellent tour guide in Istanbul who assisted us in making hotel accommodations. His name is Mehmet Ozbalci at [email protected]. We also used an excellent guide in Israel and if you are interested I can get her contact info. I would also recommend a guide if you are going to Petra.

Nov 9th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Spelrite

It is ISRAEL, not Isreal.

Nov 10th, 2002, 06:05 PM
j

Greece : - Santorini, Hydra, Poros, - great islands - athens a day is good. do the islands.

Turkey: Istanbul was tremendous - one of our favorite places. Ephesus. You can't go wrong.

Jan 12th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Mary

Did the Egypt/Greece thing in 2000. The best way to get from Egypt to Greece is to fly - we flew Olympic and paid $489 for 2 people to fly roundtrip (ATH-CAI-ATH).

Search this Thread