Newleyweds Planning Trip to Israel, Jordan and Egypt

Jul 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Newleyweds Planning Trip to Israel, Jordan and Egypt

Hi. My husband and I are in our 20s and are planning a trip to Israel, Jordan and Eygpt. We have about 10 days to spend traveling and we know that we will have to be busy to see everything we want to see.

In Israel, we would like to spend about 3-4 full days in Jerusalem, a day seeing Masada, the Dead Sea and perhaps Ein Gedi, a full day in Jordan to see Petra and 2 full days in Egypt to see the Pyramids and other sights around there. I've been to Israel twice before, but my husband has not. Neither of us has been to Jordan or Egypt, but we have traveled a lot together. We are open to going to Eilat to get on organized tours, but want to have freedom too and don't want to waste too much time on a bus, rather than just flying.

Are guided tours of Petra easy to get once you arrive?

Where would you recommend we spend 2 days in- Petra or Cairo? We would spend 1 in the other.

We can also fly home from Cairo rather than coming back to Tel Aviv.

We would appreciate any advice you could give us. Thanks!
Jul 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
tvlnut

Hi Mandy,
How I wish you had 11 days for your honeymoon! If so, you could spend 2 days for Petra - 1 full day there, no guide necessary (I've been there w/o one and, truly, a guide isn't necessary) and 1 for your travel to and fro. Petra is kind of remote. It's a full days drive from Amman and 2-3 hours from Aqaba.
Cairo will take 2 full days for the main museum and stuff in the city and another for the pyramids, sphinx and outlying areas. Getting into the main pyramid is a bit tricky as only a set amount of tourists are allowed in each day. You've got to arrive early and get your ticket to go in. It was a few years ago that I went there so things may have changed but, if so, I'm not aware of it. I wish I could remember more but please research it more as I'd hate to see you get shut out when you've got such a short window to work within.
Happy Travels!

Jul 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi tvlnut,
Thanks for all of your advice! It is really helpful. It is actually not our honeymoon, more like 2nd anniversary trip (planned for next summer), but I guess I still consider myself a newleywed We have decided that we would postpone a trip to Egypt so that we could really do everything right. When we go, we will have time to see both Cairo and Luxor and maybe one more place. So for our next trip we will go to Israel and Jordan only, allowing us almost 2 full days at Petra, coming from Eilat, with a day at the beach. Again, thank you very much and take care!
Jul 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM

That sounds like a good plan... Egypt really needs 10 days to 2 weeks to see it in reason.

In Israel, try tospend a day or two up North. There i a wonderful small river about 15 minute walk from the road with beautiful basalt hexagonal formations. Don't know where exatly, or the name, as I was there 25 years ago almost. But, it was nice spending a few hours swimming in and around the basalt formations. Also, tere is some interesting history in and near the Lake Kinneret, including Megiddo which isn't too far off. Haifa, along the Northern coast has some wonderful medieval architecture, as well as being the home to the Bahai faith.

So, don't hesitate to do a little besides Jerusalem and Dead Sea, in Israel.

Mark-
Jul 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Oh yeah...the basalt formation/river, etc.. are in the Golan Heights area....

Mark-