Search

Need help to make our last decision on safaris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
yi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help to make our last decision on safaris

Need help to make our last decision on safaris. Would appreciate if you can give us any comments.

1. Are these lodge comfortable & quiet enough? What about we stay 2/3 night in a camp for experience ? If so, any camp will you recommend?

Samburu Serena Safari Lodge or Samburu Lodge?
Mara Serena Safari Lodge or Keedorok Lodge?
Sarova Lion Hill Lodge
Safari Park Hotel

2. One company will not recommend us to visit Lake Nakuru after Masai Mara as Masai Mara is the highlight of the safari and therefore the best finishing point. Do you agree?

This is my proposed itinerary :- My husband & I are planning our trip to Masai Mara . As we want to avoid some of the long drives so we will choose a fly safaris.

Arrival in Nairobi will be 21th Sept (04:20am) and leave Nairobi on the 29th Sept (21:45pm)

Sept 21 : Nairobi fly to Samburu
Sept 22: Samburu Game Reserve
Sept 23: Samburu fly to Masai Mara
Sept 24: Masai Mara Game Reserve
Sept 25: Masai Mara Game Reserve
Sept 26: Masai fly to Nairobi and then drive to Lake Nakuru
Sept 27 Nakuru – Naivasha
Sept28 Naivasha – Nairobi
Sept 29 Breakfast at the hotel followed by mid-morning at leisure. Transfer to the airport for your onward flight home departing at 21:45 hrs. End of our services

Many thx
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:44 PM

Hello Yi,

I stayed at Samburu Lodge in 2005 and found it quite basic. Consequently, I'm planning on staying at the Samburu Serena when I return in 2008.

The Mara Serena is a very comfortable property, although the food was only so-so, not as good as I have sampled at other Serenas.

IMHO, Lake Nakuru is a must-see. I will never forget the flamingos and especially the pink frosted lake when viewed from the Baboon Cliffs Lookout. The Sarova is a comfortable property with good food, lovely grounds and lake views. If you are keen to try a tented camp, you might investigate Flamingo Hill Camp, http://www.lets-go-travel.net/?q=node/view/13180.

You might also like to have a look at the Fairview Hotel which I think is similar in price to the Safari Park Hotel, http://www.fairviewkenya.com I like the Fairview because it has extensive gardens and a wide choice of reataurants. However, some people avoid this hotel because it is across the road from the Israeli Embassy and the security surrounding this building makes some travellers uncomfortable.

Have a wonderful safari,

Pol
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM

Hi yi,
I agree with Treepol about the Mara Serena, we stayed 4 nights last July and by the end we were VERY glad we didn't have to have another meal there. It is a very nice lodge though but beware if you get a guide called Sammy - not the greatest in the world by any stretch of the immagination. Now SAMUEL, another guide, was FANTASTIC on the one game drive we had him. Also, the rooms are very nice and the location is good so maybe food is not a priority for you?!
We also stayed at the Nakuru Sarova which we LOVED. Fabulous lodge with FABULOUS food .. the fresh made waffles were awesome. We saw our one and only leopard here and also lots of Rhino and of course those beautiful flamingoes.

Happy planning!
Imelda
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Samburu Lodge was very nice. The monkeys were a bit loud but that’s a bonus. It is definitely in the running for my return trip because of its lower cost. Mara Serena was good with a nice central location. I’d go back. I think in Sept, I’d choose Serena over Keekorok for location. Here is someone else who would agree. http://www.v-liz.com/safari/mara/keek.htm

No experience with the other accommodations. Sarova Lion Hill is the most common Nakuru choice for well planned safaris from what I’ve seen. I stayed at Lake Nakuru Lodge, which was fine, but I believe a step down from Lion Hill.

Does the agent that recommends against Nakuru have a plan for you to do it first? I think that would also work, but maybe not as smoothly with the same # of days as putting it at the end.

Lots of Kenya itineraries end big in the Mara and late Sept will be a big ending. (Amboseli is sometimes tacked on the end after Maasai Mara due to travel logistics so this is done.) I think the flow of locations is important for a successful itinerary. But I allow logistics and costs to trump flow because I know I can appreciate each place on its own and I can’t always come up with extra days or money for a perfectly crescendo-ing itinerary. If you feel you can appreciate Nakuru for what it is, after the blockbuster Mara, then I’d insist the agent do my bidding, offer an alternative with Nakuru up front, or get a new agent.

Good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM

You can do NBO/Nakuru first by road, then drive to Samburu, though this leg can be long and often broken up with a stop at Sweetwaters. Then from Samburu fly to the Mara to conclude your safari.

Otherwise, it's a matter of flight connections, and most are in the morning, but to the Mara where there is morning and afternoon. And, there is an afternoon flight to Samburu on one of the carriers.

Of course, saving the best for last is ideal, so concluding in the Mara makes sense. In the end, it's all going to depend on availability, where. Sometimes, you have to "go with the flow" and what can be done during any particular timeframe.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
yi
Original Poster

Dear all,

Many thx for your help & information. Really appreciated. Will give report & photos when I come back.

Yi
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Sandi,
For someone who wanted to do mainly flying, would this be reasonable?

Nakuru by vehicle for a night or two. Then drive back to Wilson Airport in Nairobi for the flight to Samburu. I believe there is a 10:30ish flight by one charter and a 2:00-3:00ish flight by another. Would it be possible or advisable to make for the earlier Samburu flight if leaving from Nakuru?

From Samburu you could fly to the Mara or to Sweetwaters and then the Mara, I believe.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:54 AM

>>Sandi,
For someone who wanted to do mainly flying, would this be reasonable?

Nakuru by vehicle for a night or two. Then drive back to Wilson Airport in Nairobi for the flight to Samburu. I believe there is a 10:30ish flight by one charter and a 2:00-3:00ish flight by another. Would it be possible or advisable to make for the earlier Samburu flight if leaving from Nakuru?

From Samburu you could fly to the Mara or to Sweetwaters and then the Mara, I believe.<<

Of course, almost anything is possible, as there's a flight at 11:30am from Wilson to Samburu, but by the time you drive back to Nairobi, you could almost be at Samburu from Lake Nakuru.

I don't see any afternoon flight to Samburu, and again, you have that drive back to Nairobi, then lunch then flight north arriving in time for afternoon game drive.

Of course, you can arrange flights from most places, but often these are private charters at a hefty surcharge.

From Nakuru, you can cut across Aberdares to Nanyuki for a flight north, but that morning flight from Nanyuki to Samburu is at about 10am... would have to be a really early start from Nakuru.

One way or another, there's lots of zig-zagging on roads just to catch a flight, when you can almost (if not actually) be at your destination.

From Samburu, of course, you can fly to the Mara.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I think that 11:30 is the latest scheduled Nairobi-Samburu flight. The drive from Nakuru to Nairobi is about 2.5 hours. I believe Nakuru to Nanyuki is around 3 hours and from Nanyuki, it took us 2.5 hours to reach Samburu.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM

"by the time you drive back to Nairobi, you could almost be at Samburu from Lake Nakuru. "

That's what I wondered.

Inserting an Aberdare or Mt. Kenya destination between Nakuru and Samburu would make sense then at a 3 hour drive.

Thank you!