Kenya & Tanzania - Jan 08

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya & Tanzania - Jan 08

OOOOOOOH BOY, do I have questions. ;-)

So many people here are just a wealth of knowledge. I have been reading for a couple weeks now, and have learned a ton already.

Taking a first trip (based on another thread, I won't say "once in a lifetime&quot to Kenya and Tanzania in January 08. I have looked at, probably, 20 companies' websites and itineraries, but can't seem to find THE ONE, in the price range. It's looking like a customized one is going to be the best option.

One of the big factors has been the vehicles used on the game drives. I'm concerned that the minivan, which it appears most companies use, doesn't provide the safari experience. True or false? Are there benefits, and as long as there is a "pop top" does the vehicle really matter? Any info/feedback is appreciated.

In order to see Mt. Kili, is it necessary to actually have Kili in the itinerary. It appears, that just for viewing the mountain in the landscape and getting those "classic wildlife views" in front of the mountain, Amboseli will provide that. Yes?

Jeez, my mind is reeling with questions. I don't have an itinerary yet. Hoping to have that in motion very soon. I have read lots of threads with suggested itineraries, which was helpful, although I haven't seen any for the January time frame. We actually arrive in Nairobi on Jan 7th (early morning) and depart Jan 24th (evening). If anyone has any suggestions, again, much appreciated. In that time frame, is it safe to say it's best to stick to 3 or 4 parks/game reserves for a few days at a time? We're in country for 17 full days, and kind of 18. Sounds like that should be plenty of time to see everything, but the choices are making me crazy. LOL!!!

Thanks all for any responses/feedback. Looking forward to learning even more from all of you experts.

Shane
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

“OOOOOOOH BOY” The perfect reaction to an upcoming safari.

Mini van and true safari experience—For me the more open the vehicle, the better and the Jeeps and Land Rovers and Land Cruisers do look cooler and could be needed depending on the terrain. The minivan is usually less expensive so that’s an advantage IF it will take you where you need to go. I’d just be sure you can get where you want to go in a minivan and if so, I’d strongly consider it as an option to reduce costs. When I recollect Kenya and Tanzania experiences or view photos I’ve never thought about the vehicle type I was in when they occurred. One exception was cheetahs on the vehicle because then the vehicle was part of the event.

You have come to the same conclusion that many of us customizers have come to. So we do our own with the help of one or more agents and this forum.

Amboseli in Kenya is an excellent place to see Kili and where my Kili pictures are from. Of course the weather has to cooperate but with a couple of days there, a morning or evening view should be visible. Getting the animals in front takes more luck, but it happens. No need to go to Kilamanjaro in Tanzania.

January in Tanzania, check this thread
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/safari_january.htm

18 days in East Africa

I’d do Kenya first and put the Serengeti as late in the itinerary as possible. I’d fly as much as possible if you can afford it.

Here is something that would take you to the key parks.
1 Arrival
1 day in Nairobi--Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen home/museum, Sheldrick, National Museum
Depending on where you are flying from, January can increase the odds of weather delays so an extra day, such as this, is helpful, especially when you are in no hury
2 Amboseli
2 Lewa Downs—best place for rhino
or to Sweetwaters—good rhino and chimp sanctuary, waterhole
or Mt. Kenya Serena—waterhole, forested area
or The Ark—outstanding waterhole, least secluded and intimate. Most people stay only 1 night, -so you could do 1 night Ark and 1 night Sweetwaters (or reverse)
1 Nakuru
3 Mara (even in Jan, you'll have good game viewing)

So that is about 10 in Kenya in case you need a transit day, make it 11—this order would probably work, but another order would be good too.

1 Arusha
1 Lake Manyara
1 Ngorongoro Crater
4 Serengeti, 2 in Seronera area and 2 in Southern Serengeti

That is 7 in Tanzania for a total of 18 days.

The next itinerary would concentrate more on Tanzania and the Serengeti, where the migration should be.

1 Arrival
1 Nairobi
2 Amboseli
1 Sweetwaters or Nakuru, specifically to try to see rhino, if that is important. They are also in the crater, but sightings are not for sure.
3 Mara

1 Arusha-perhaps as a transit day or if time go to the park
1-2 Lake Manyara
1-2 Ngorongoro Crater (so 3 days for Manyara and Crater)
5 Serengeti with 2 at a camp and 3 in a mobile

Totals 17 in case an internal transit day is needed.

Good luck in your planning.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Atravelynn, for your advice. Gosh, there are so many options. The more I learn, the more confused I become. LOL

Here is an itinerary that we found that sounds very good. Any thoughts for modification by anyone?

Days

1-2 Samburu Serena Lodge/Sopa Lodge
3 Aberdares Treetops/Ark Lodge
4 Lake Nakuru Lake Nak Lodge/Sarova Lion Hill
5-6 Maasai Mara Mara Sopa Lodge/Keekerok Lodge/Sarova Mara Game Camp
7-8 Ambesoli Ambesoli Sopa Lodge/Ambesoli Serena Lodge
9-10 Ngorongoro Crater Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
11-12 Serengeti Serengeti Sopa Lodge
13 Lake Manyara Lake Manyara Serena/Lake Manyara Hotel
14 Arusha/Nairobi and depart

As we have a couple days longer to play with, we would want to add to this.

My first thought/question would be Aberdares. Good, bad, indifferent? Would it be better to take that out and "replace" it with (and add a day) at Lewa Downs right before or after Amboseli? Rhinos are definitely on the wish list, so if Lewa is the best bet for rhinos, we're all over that. ;-)

I saw a "migration" map somewhere that indicated that the migration should be in the southern Serengeti in January. Since the Ngorongoro Crater is toward the southern Serengeti, I see a few options to add a day, based on the above itinerary. We could add a day in Amboseli, Ngorongoro or the Serengeti.

I recall, also, having seen something about a great camp in Samburu - right along the river. I'm thinking I would prefer that to the lodge at Samburu. Any thoughts on that?

I'm probably being WAY to obsessive and anal about this. I'm sure the trip will be great regardless.

Thanks all,

Shane
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM

Good parks on the itinerary you listed with moderate cost lodging.

Aberdares and Treetop Ark--
I was at The Ark and had a great time and some wonderful sightings (including rhino) for the one night I was there early in the trip. Of every place listed on your itinerary and those suggested by me, this is the most touristy IMO and most circus-like. You usually stop at the Aberdare Country Club for lunch and then walk around the grounds looking at peacocks and interesting people and arrive later in the day at The Ark or Treetops. Unless you specifically ask, you don't get much of a safari in the surrounding forest-like terrain, which contains Colobus Monkeys, among other species. I did see and photograph a Colobus as we left the Ark so it is possible to view these without a regular game drive.

Another option is Mt. Kenya Serena Lodge (where I've not been)

You are right about the migration being south. Only 2 nights in the Serengeti when the herds are here seems too little. If you can swing some nights in a mobile tented camp, I'd do that. Maybe add Ndutu, which is south.

You mentioned adding a day in Amboseli, Ngorongoro or Serengeti. Three nights in Ngorongoro is very rare. In fact, many do only 1 to save time and just do 1/2 day visit. I've done 2 nights on my crater trips. Three nights in Amboseli is not common but if views of Kili and Kili and animals was a big priority, then the extra day would make sense. I'd add the extra day in the Serengeti.

Perhaps it was Larsen's. I am sure you would prefer the camp. I am wrestling with that decision as I contemplate a return to Samburu. Should I pick Larsen's, which is a more desirable camp, or the larger, less intimate Samburu Lodge on the river or Samburu Serena, also on the River in Buffalo Springs and more expensive than Samburu Lodge, but less than Larsen's. Throw in using your own guide or flying in and using the camp guide and you need a spreadsheet to contemplate the options and their costings.

Two other comments on the proposed itinerary--Only two nights in the Mara is not enough. Only two nights in the Serengeti is not enough because it will be the end of January when you get there. If you can afford flying, I'd end in the Serengeti and fly back to Kilimanjaro and then depart on your international flight if time allows.
Your itinerary has a tented camp option in only the Mara with Sarova. With the number of days you have, I think you'd want some more camps.

All of my suggestions increase the cost of the safari. If your current itinerary is near your budget max, then I'd make adding some time in the Southern Serengeti a priority.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO POST. THE PREVIOUS ENTRY HAS SOME OF THIS BUT NOT ALL OF IT so you can see my editing and corrections.

Good parks on the itinerary you listed with moderate cost lodging. I prefer the example itineraries I listed, but they would be more expensive. Also see what others come up with.

Aberdares and Treetop Ark--
A one night stay here is customary.

I was at The Ark and had a great time and some wonderful sightings (including rhino) for the one night I was there early in the trip. Of every place listed on your itinerary and those suggested by me, this is the most touristy IMO and most circus-like. You usually stop at the Aberdare Country Club for lunch and then walk around the grounds looking at peacocks and interesting people and arrive later in the day at The Ark or Treetops. Unless you specifically ask, you don't get much of a safari in the surrounding forest-like terrain, which contains Colobus Monkeys, among other species. I did see and photograph a Colobus as we left the Ark so it is possible to view these without a regular game drive. The waterhole there seems to get some of the best reviews of a variety and abundance of species. The Ark is not an expensive option.

Another option is Mountain Lodge, a Serena property in Mt. Kenya (where I've not been). You can get there right away without dining at the country club and it is more relaxed and less crowded. You can do game drives in the forested area looking for forest species like the Colobus monkeys. There is a waterhole. I don’t know if rhino are seen here. A two night stay here is common, but one is also done.

Lewa Downs is a rhino sanctuary where rhino sightings are almost guaranteed. I would say this is the “best bet.” There is a single wire electric fence that can be seen if you are on the perimeter, which is something you should know. The conservancy is 50,000 to 60,000 acres, so it is a big place and not like a zoo enclosure and the fencing is for the rhino’s protection to reduce wandering and poaching. The best camel safari I ever did was here—better than Samburu. The tents were far apart with beautiful views and there was a hide you could walk where I saw oryx, giraffe, and elephant and others saw rhino and lions. The northern species are present here and I saw all of them in a 3-night stay (Grevy Zebra, Reticulated Giraffe, Beisa Oryx, Somali Ostrich) except the long-necked gerenuk antelope. This is a lovely place and one of the more expensive options. You can do night drives and watch game and birds from hides near waterholes. There was not a camp waterhole when I was there. At least two nights are common here.

For rhinos you can also consider Sweetwaters (where I’ve never been), which is less expensive than Lewa I believe. A huge rhino project was just undertaken here but I’d check on its status. There is also a Jane Goodall Chimp Sanctuary with rescued chimps that you can visit and a good camp waterhole. Ask for a tent with a view of it. The northern species are present at Sweetwaters too, but don’t know which ones are commonly seen. Colobus are also present. Some of this concession is fenced, just so you know. A one or two night stay is common here. If you want to see rhino, I’d do two.

So…yes, I’d trade a night at the Ark for two elsewhere.

You mentioned adding a day in Amboseli, Ngorongoro or Serengeti. Three nights in Ngorongoro is very rare. In fact, many do only 1 to save time and just do 1/2 day visit. I've done 2 nights on my crater trips. Three nights in Amboseli is not common but if views of Kili and Kili and animals was a big priority, then the extra day would make sense. I'd add the extra day in the Serengeti.

Perhaps it was Larsen's you were thinking of in Samburu. I am sure you would prefer the camp. I am wrestling with that decision as I contemplate a return to Samburu. Should I pick Larsen's, which is a more desirable camp, or the larger, less intimate Samburu Lodge on the river that was fine on my last stay or Samburu Serena, also on the River in Buffalo Springs and more expensive than Samburu Lodge, but less than Larsen's. Throw in using your own guide or flying in and using the camp guide and you need a spreadsheet to contemplate the options and their costings.

Two other comments on the proposed itinerary--Only two nights in the Mara is not enough. Only two nights in the Serengeti is not enough because it will be the end of January when you get there. If you can afford flying, I'd end in the Serengeti and fly back to Kilimanjaro and then depart on your international flight if time allows.

Your itinerary has a tented camp option in only the Mara with Sarova. With the number of days you have, I think you'd want some more camps.

All of my suggestions increase the cost of the safari. If your current itinerary is near your budget max, then I'd make adding some time in the Southern Serengeti a priority.

Anal, along with early, is how you get what you want.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Atravelynn, YOU ARE DA BOMB!!! ;-) Thank you so much for all of the info. If I haven't lost your interest or overstayed my welcome, a few other "itinerary" questions/thoughts now come to mind.

Based on the fact that we're obviously going to have to go custom, this is what I'm coming up with:

1-2 Samburu
3-4 Lewa Downs
5 Lake Nakuru
6-8 Maasai Mara
9-10 Amboseli
11 Lake Manyara
12 Ngorongoro Crater
13-15 Southern Serengeti
16 Back to Nairobi (or Kilimanjaro if flight can be changed. Seems easier)

This leaves us 1, possibly 2 days, to play with. So, I'm thinking go ahead and add a second day at Ngorongoro. If there's yet another day, is 4 days mobile in the Serengeti big time overkill or a good plan since the time is there?

Thanks,

Shane
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM

You certainly have not overstayed your welcome. Chatting with others about their trips is a good way to learn more and to keep Africa in mind until it is my turn to go.

I'd do a 4-day mobile in the Serengeti as the best use of the extra day, although a 3-day mobile would be good too and less costly. Mobiles get expensive but will likely be a highlight of your trip and a fantastic way to end. I don't think it will be overkill at all. You can also figure that this will be quality time in tented camps so if you are in some other less expensive lodges along the way, that's ok.

See these links for a variety of thoughts on a second night in the crater. I've stayed 2 nights at Wildlife Lodge (less expensive, just fine) and Sopa (more expensive, nicer) but less than Serena (never been). I like Sopa for the access road, which can be even more of a benefit in wetter times like Jan-Feb.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34925907

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34953890

Your latest listing of parks looks great. The Amboseli to Manyara may be a haul but I think you can do it. The key is to get the transport between the camps to work. Your order seems logical, hopefully no extra days in transit are needed.

How many are going?

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

YAY!!! I think we have a workable itinerary. Now the obstacle is to see if we can afford it. HA!!!

There's 2 of us going.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

As I indicated in another thread, I am now a single traveller (and very content with it).

Have only heard back from AAC with any type of itinerary. The AAC folks have been GREAT to work with. Unfortunately, I'm just not "feeling" the proposed itinerary(ies).

Here's one of the itineraries:

Day 1-2 Travel (home to Arusha)
3 Arusha/Tarangire Kikoti Safari Camp
4-5 Tarangire Kikoti
6 Tarangire/Lake Eyasi Kisima Ngeda Camp
7 Lake Eyasi (bush walk/hike with local "villagers&quot Kisima
8 Lake Eyasi/Ngorongoro Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
9 Ngorongoro Ngo. Wildlife Lodge
10-12 Serengeti Serengeti First Class Mobile Camp
13 Serengeti/Arusha-Kilimanjaro/Onward travel
14 Travel ot USA

This itinerary is at a (2007) cost of $4395+525 Single Sup.

As I am in continent for 18 days, I would also be looking at an add-on, probably to Amboseli, for a few days before this itinerary started.

This itinerary is VERY similar to another that they sent me/recommended. The other is $3350+150. It has an extra night in Ngorongoro and the accomodations are lesser. AAC has advised against cusomtizing/privatizing my trip as they think it would be cost prohibitive.

Am I being closed-minded? Is this a good itinerary and I'm just not "seeing" it? I love the idea of the mobile through the Serengeti, and I want to see Ngorongoro as well. Other than that, I'm not loving it.

One of the biggest things that bothers me is that 4 days out of the 14 are travel days to and from the US. Why am I paying the safari company for international travel days? I already paid the airline for that and the safari company is not providing me any kind of service during that time.

So I need to be slapped around with a dose of reality?

Any advice/suggestions or whatever is appreciated greatly.

Shane
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

*So I need to be = Do I need to be...?

Shane
(who wishes Fodor's would put an edit feature on the discussion boards)
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM

First on the flights: Does AAC not understand that you have your own flights? You want an 18-day itinerary in Africa itself and do not need their flights.

That would be Step 1, to have them provide a 17 or 18 day itinerary. I'd give them your flight info. so it is clear to them that you have flights. I'd give them the exact days you are on the ground and request their ground service starting with airport transfers.

This itinerary adds a cultural element. If you are interested in this, it could be a trip highlight. If you are not interested (and I have read on Fodors you would likely witness a hunt with an animal being killed) then this is an expensive waste of time. With 18 days, I think this experience would add another fantastic dimension to your trip, again if this appeals to you.

Renumbering...
1Arusha/Tarangire Kikoti Safari Camp
2-3 Tarangire Kikoti
4 Tarangire/Lake Eyasi Kisima Ngeda Camp
5 Lake Eyasi (bush walk/hike with local "villagers&quot Kisima
6 Lake Eyasi/Ngorongoro Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
7 Ngorongoro Ngo. Wildlife Lodge
8-10 Serengeti Serengeti First Class Mobile Camp
11 Serengeti/Arusha-Kilimanjaro/Onward travel....to Nairobi

12 Amboseli
13 Amboseli

14 Lewa
15 Lewa

16 Mara or instead Samburu
17 Mara or instead Samburu
18 Mara or depart or internal travel

Renumbering the days, you have all sorts of time in Kenya after Tanzania. The additional days in Kenya would not have to be in that order.

It would be to your advantage wildlife-wise to do Kenya first, then Tanzania, placing the Serengeti at the end.

My additional days of course greatly increase the cost.

So is the itinerary proposed a group trip since AAC suggested against a customized trip? They are right that it would be much more as a private trip.

Why don't you see how much more it would be by requesting a private trip from AAC, and also contacting some of these: Africa Serendipity (US), Good Earth (US & Tanzania), Kiliwarriors (US & Tanzania) Sunny Safaris (Tanzania), Eastern and Southern Safaris (Kenya).

The dose of realitiy may be that to fill 18 days is going to cost you. Those costs add up more quickly alone.

You are doing the necessary legwork early on to have a good trip that you can afford.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM

One more question and one more comment.

Question--I may have mixed up the terms custom and private. Is this a private trip for just you? If so, with 3 nights in a good Serengeti mobile, that cost is not bad. If this is a private trip, then customizing should not be that hard.

Comment--There may be some special activities that you are doing in Kikoti so that's why you are going there for 3 nights. But in Jan, I'd choose Manyara over Kikoti for the most wildlife action and I'd stay about 2 nights in Manyara. Even 1 is ok.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

I have informed them that my flights are taken care of, and it has been brought up by the consultant in our discussions, so I take it he's aware of my days on land.

I completely understand, and agree, that 18 days private as a single would probably be out of my budget. You're correct, atravelynn, that itinerary I posted is a group. The add-on days in Kenya would probably be private, but since there are fewer days, might work better money wise. I'm definitely figuring out that my budget is having to increase some. Luckily, I have some flexibility, but that's going away quickly, too, as the prices climb. lol The 2008 dates of departure have not been released yet. He's expecting them any day, which could pose its own problem - if the departure dates don't coincide with my dates on land. Note to self: in the future, find the safari, THEN book the flights.

As for the cultural day...I'm all about doing the cultural thing. I guess my mental debate is that what I was envisioning as a cultural experience was not what I'm gathering this particular one would be. To that point, though, several people have said how the Maasai cultural visits seem so staged, so this one is probably much more "real", hence a better experience. Additionally, if I were to also go to the Maasai Mara or Samburu, I could also do one of those cultural visits. ::mind spinning::

I do have my feelers out to Africa Serendipity and E & S, as well as 1 or 2 others...go2africa. For some reason, I'm getting the best vibe from E & S. Haven't seen any proposed itineraries from these, or prices, yet. Can get a fairly good guess from looking at the 2007 prices, though, right? Add about 10 - 15% from 2007 prices for 2008 is what I'm gathering.

Feeling like I'm totally floundering here. I know it will all work out in the end, and I'll have a fantastic trip. Just a little stressed right now. Thanks for you patience and taking the time to explain so much. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Shane
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I was questioning the "long" stay in Tarangire as well. From the reading I've done, in AAC book as well, I wasn't gathering that Tarangire was really a "prime" location for wildlife in Jan.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM

What kind of cultural experience did you have in mind?

That 10%-15% increase for Tanzania that time of year is what I've been told from other operators as well.

With travel increasing at that rate, we better go now before it slips out of reach.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

what kind of cultural experience? That's a VERY good question. One that I probably can't answer. I guess, at first thought, I just wouldn't have pictured a "walk through the woods" as a cultural experience. I understand that it is, and it's probably an amazing experience, and if I end up with one of AAC's itineraries, I'll do it and it will be incredible. It's just one of those initial mental image things versus what might actually happen. Hope that makes sense.

I'm probably thinking that there's a "perfect" trip that can be planned, when in reality, it WILL be perfect. The anal/obsessive side of me is really in full swing right now. Will I relax after the itinerary is established? ;-)
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM

I believe it is worth laying out what you think is the perfect itinerary and getting it costed. Then you can see if it is still perfect at that price. Or you can modify from the perfect plan so that you have an itinerary that you can actually afford.

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Ok, after many questions from the experts here, much deliberation, MANY emails, several phone calls, etc, etc, etc, here is the itinerary for my trip. Accommodations are in ( * ).

This will take place in (sigh) January 2008. It seems so far away right now.

I booked this through Sardius Tours. Felix has been very responsive to emails. My decision really came down to budget, as I’m sure it does for most people. The Tanzania portion, where I’m a single traveler, is what really made the difference. Of course, I will let everyone know how the rest of the experience goes with them.

I would also say that other companies were very competitive in price for the Kenya portion when there are two of us traveling. Sandi at Africa Serendipity is fantastic and very helpful. I would highly recommend Africa Serendipity. Christine at Africa Point was great as well – very responsive. Serah and Boaz at Eastern & Southern were also a pleasure to deal with. Oh, and no, I’m not affiliated with ANY of the aforementioned companies. Just offering my feedback as there are always lots of questions about companies. Plus, I felt horrible having to tell these people that I went with another company, so I figure a “plug” for them, might ease my guilt a little.

So, back to the itinerary…

My mother will be traveling with me for the first portion of the trip and then I will continue on for another week as a single traveler.

Jan 4 Leave U.S. (Northwest Airlines from U.S. to Paris)

Jan 5 – 6 Paris for a 32-hour layover (Kenya Air to Nairobi)

Jan 7 Early morning arrival into Nairobi and hit the ground running. Head directly to Samburu. (Larsen’s Tented Camp)

Jan 8 Samburu (Larsen’s)

Jan 9 Samburu / Sweetwater (Sweetwater Tented Camp)

Jan 10 Sweetwater (Sweetwater Camp)

Jan 11 Sweetwater / Lake Nakuru (Sarova Lion Hill Lodge)

Jan 12 Lake Nakuru / Maasai Mara (Mara Sarova Tented Camp)

Jan 13 – 14 Maasai Mara (Mara Sarova Tented Camp)

Jan 15 Maasai Mara / Amboseli Fly from Mara to Nairobi, overland from Nairobi to Amboseli. (Ol Tukai Lodge)

Jan 16 Amboseli (Ol Tukai Lodge)

Jan 17 Amboseli / Lake Manyara Mom goes back to Nairobi for departure back to U.S. I continue on to Lake Manyara and onward. (Kirurumu Tented Camp)

Jan 18 Lake Manyara / Ngorongoro (Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge)

Jan 19 Ngorongoro / Serengeti (Mobile tented camp)

Jan 20 – 21 Serengeti (Mobile Tented camp)

Jan 22 – 23 Serengeti (Ndutu Lodge)

Jan 24 Serengeti / Nairobi and onward Overland to Arusha, flight back to Nairobi. Afternoon for Nairobi “sightseeing” and on to airport for international departure. (Kenya Air NBO – CDG, Air France CDG – DTW, Northwest DTW – MKE) Now that should be an interesting travel “day.” ;-)
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Have a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing your positive experiences with the other agents. That's helpful to know.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:20 AM

My husband and I got back from Kenya and Tanzania a couple of weeks ago - and we had a great trip! We are not experienced "safari travlers" so reading a lot of tips on this forum was great. I saw that you have gotten help with your initiary and that you have decided now, and I just wanted to comment on a couple of things; Sweetwaters - great choice! We started with 2 and a half day here when we arrived in Kenya and it was such a perfect place to start. Beautiful surroundings and nice game driving. I work with animal welfare in Norway (marine mammals) so I was particularly interested in the Ol Pejeta chimpanzee project started by Jane Godall. The stories of several of the chimpanzees living there were very moving and it was nice to see such large areas provided for them now. We also saw several rhinos and got information about the rhino project. We loved our stay at Sweetwaters tented camp!

We had an incredible trip to Tanzania as well with our visit to Lake Manyara, Serengeti and the Ngorongor Crater. I will try to write a trip report soon. Just mentioning some highlights here: lots of elephants and a leopard in Lake Manyara, lots of lions in Serengeti and close encounter with cheetas and several lions (a herd of lions eating a buffalo...) in the extremely wonderful Ngorongoro crater

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -