Search

Morocco itinerary advice

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morocco itinerary advice

My husband and I are planning a trip to Morocco for spring 2010. We have never been there before. We will be doing it combined with a trip to Spain. Tentatively we are planning about 12 days in Morocco, but that is somewhat flexible at this point. We definitely want to see Fez, Marrakesh, the Sahara and something of the coast – perhaps Essaouira. I am looking for some advice with an itinerary. We will be leaving Spain from Granada and plan to go to Tangier and stay the first night. From there we thought Fez was probably the natural destination. We plan to fly from Marrakesh to Madrid when we leave. Your suggestions would be really appreciated. We have traveled pretty extensively in Europe and my husband has done a fair amount of driving. We are fine with either car or train travel. We have never taken tours. We understand we will certainly need to take one for the Sahara piece. Are other tours specifically recommended? If we drive from Fez to Merzouga, is it doable in a day or will we be missing some interesting sights? If we should make it two days, where should we stop for the night? Our particular interests are: photography, art and architecture, a bit of shopping, people watching, food and wine. And I like to try to take a dip in any ocean in the vicinity whenever we travel. Thanks for any help!
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. We are not really looking for a tour. I know we will need a guide for the Sahara part of our trip, but we aren't looking for a Moroccan tour as a format for our trip.

I will try to ask perhaps more specific questions:

If one travels from Fez to Merzourga, it is recommended to stay the night somewhere in route and if so where?

With our tentative itinerary of Fez, Marrakesh, coastal location of some kind and a Saharan spot, is Merzouga the recommended stop or should we look for something in another Saharan area?

Essaouira or another coastal location? My husband is an excellent photgrapher; I'd like somewhere to take a bit of a dip in the ocean, and shopping comes in third. Fodorites, what do you recommend for a coastal stop?

How difficult is driving in Morocco? I know we will be traveling at least a bit by car (which hasn't historically been a problem for us in Europe and Mexico) but should we be trying to look for rail travel as an alternative when available? For example, we can take the train from Tangier to Fez. But when we leave Fez, it looks like we will need a car so does it make more sense to rent one in Tangier and drive it to Fez (where it will doubtless need to be parked while we are there) or take the train to Fez and pick up the car when we leave.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

MartaD
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I would think Essouria would be the coastal town that would be the best from a logistical and photographic perspective. I would not however plan on swimming...water is cold...and it can be windy and chilly in these coastal towns on the Atlantic in Spring. Many charming riads to consider and different vibe from Fes and Marrakech.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM

We have been to Morocco a couple of times and stayed in Casablanca and Marrakesh. Tangier wouldn't be my choice of place to stay, as it's a bit down at heel and there's not that much to see. Casablanca is much nicer, has an enormous Mosque of King Hassan 2nd to visit, (you are allowed inside)and although a busy commercial town is a better bet for me.

As far as driving is concerned, there's no problem, but I'd read a couple of the threads on bushwoman2002 for a few tips on what to look out for, especially corrupt policemen.

Essaouira is worth the visit, about two and a half hours from Marrakesh by car and a ride up into the Atlas Mountains is also pretty good. Do some research before you go on routes etc. Marrakesh itself has lots to offer.

Lastly, avoid adverts for guides on this forum placed by the person themselves. The wording is the same as on other posts from the same "fodorite".
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Driving from Fez to Merzouga in one day is doable, I would recommend you sticking to Merzouga desert
With reference to the coast, I vouch for white walled city –Essaouira- once home for the hippies,
I think you would survive driving here in Morocco, the roads are good enough, My prefered itinerary would be
-Take train from Tangier to Fez,
-When done from Fez. Rent car and head to the desert.
-On the way to Marakech You may consider a pause in one of the Gorges.Dades or Gorges.
-Once in Marrakech, drop the car,
-For Essaouira you can rely on the bus.
Hope this can be of help to you.
Best
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. At this point, we are tentatively planning the following:

Train/ferry from Granada to Tangier. Stay two nights in Tangier so that we can take a day trip to Chefchaoen. Lets_do_it, I understand your point about Tangier and we probably wouldn't have planned any nights here, except that we figured travel from Granada to Tangier was just far enough for one day particularly given we would like to see Chefchaoen. But, if others have suggestions for how to accomplish this in a different way, please let me know.

From Tangier we would take the train to Fez and stay for three nights. From Fez we would pick up a car and drive to Merzouga for two nights. One night we would like to be in the desert, the next night would allow us an opportunity to see Erfoud and the small time close by which produces interesting silver pieces (I am at work and do not have my book to look up the name). I think the best order here would be to drive from Fez to Merzouga arriving in time to head out into the desert for the night (I understand trips commonly leave around 3:00 or 4:00?) then return, wash up in our hotel and spend the rest of the day looking at Erfoud and silver spot. I hope this plan does not give us too little time to make the drive from Fez to Merzouga. We are planning on updating our GPS to include Morocco, but have been known to get lost even with a GPS!
From Merzouga to the Dades Gorges area for two nights, then on to Marrakech for four nights. During our Marrakech time we would travel by bus to Essaouria. I'd really like to stay there, but I am a bit concerned about too much pack and unpacking. We will fly back to Madrid from Marrakech.

I will definitely locate and read Bushwoman2002's tips and comments about driving. We have experience driving in parts of Mexico and aware there can be tips and scams. It's best to have some idea of the nature of them in advance if possible.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Merzouga which can arrange out desert night?
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Sorry for the typos! "Time" should be "town" and the last sentence should be "arrange our desert night" It's late and I'm ready to go home.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Most of this sounds great: my husband and I visited in February of last year, and had a wonderful time. We didn't drive (trains for most of it, and drivers for a couple of legs), so I can't help with that, but here's my two cents:

As long as you're up in the north at Chefchouen, we really enjoyed exploring the cedar forests and seeing the monkeys near Azrou and Ifran. We did it as a day trip from Fez, but it'd work equally well from Chef, I think. I'm admittedly a sucker for monkeys though .

I do think Essaouria is fine as a day trip, especially in the spring when you won't really be able to enjoy the beach time. the fortress is beautiful, but the town is really pretty small.

Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM

If possible I would suggest staying in the tranquil and attractive town of Assilah, which is situated 30 mins drive south of Tangier,
While in Fez, try to include, a visit to the Roman ruin, Moulay Driss and Meknes. T
As a matter of fact am curious to know about the silver production near Erfoud, Would be thankful if you would share the name of the place.How many days you planning to stay in Merzouga?? I think the preferred plan would be as follows, the first night you spend at your hotel as you would need to relax after your long drive from Fez. Next day however, you visit the Gnaoua brotherhood village, lake, fossils factory near Erfoud, by the afternoon you get back to your hotel and get ready to mount the camel for your overnight in a berber tent.
Next Morning you comeback to the hotel for your shower,
Im sure you would survive with no GPS, the road is signposted, I believe a map would be efficient.
Be aware of the wanna be a guide in both Fez, and also while on the way to the Desert.
All the hotels in the Near the Erg Chebbi Dunes can arrange a camel safari for you.
I suggest the following hotels.
www.cheztonton.merzouga.com
www.dareljanoub.com
Hope this can be of help to you.