Help with Morocco itinerary

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Morocco itinerary

My husband & I are planning a trip to Morocco for next May. I've been working with Authentic Morocco to provide some tours (including driving from Mar. to desert then to Fez). Can anyone with experience let me know how this sounds:

day 1– Arrive Marrakesh. Greet and transfer to Riad. 2pm walking tour with Guide. Les Cigognes (Superior Room) on B&B

day 2 – Free day. Les Cigognes on B&B

day 3 – Free day. Les Cigognes on B&B

day 4 – 8am (Reception) transfer to Ouarzazate via Telouet and Ait Benhaddou. Les Tourmalines (Double Room) on HB

day 5 – 9am to Merzouga via Skoura, Mgouna and Todra Gorge. Nasser Palace (Double Room) on HB

day 6 – Day to relax and explore with your driver. Camel trek to desert camp (Nomad Tent) on HB

day 7 – Return trek and transfer to Fez via Ziz Gorge, Cedar Forests and Azrou. Ryad Mabrouka (Suite) on B&B

day 8– Free day. Ryad Mabrouka (Suite) on B&B

day 9 – 10am walking tour of Fez - Ryad Mabrouka (Suite) on B&B

That gives us 2 days in Fez, one of which is a free day and the other has a walking tour.
We'll have 2 free days in Marrakesh plus a 3rd day with walking tour.
I'm not sure if 2 free days in Marrakesh will seem like too much time, especially if we are not big into shopping and won't need to spend a lot of time bargaining in the souks. I was thinking we could get the riad to arrange a day trip to Essaouria from Marr. if we felt that was too much free time just to wander in M.

Maybe it would be better to cut one day from Marr. and spend another in Fez - or would 2 days in Fez already be enough?
I know it's impossible to say without knowing us but in general we aren't shoppers, we aren't pool sitters or nightclubbers - we like museums, we like walking around taking in the cities, that kind of thing. Can you give me a general feel for how many days in each city to get a good taste of them?

Also has anyone stayed at Nassar Palace in Merzouga? Tripadvisor has 4 reviews, all good. I trust Authentic Morocco to steer us in the right direction so I'm sure it's not bad.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM

I bet 2 free days in Marrakech are alot, You could arrange an excursion to either Essaouira, which will take around 5 to 6 hours drive forth and back depends on the Traffic- or the Western High Atlas, (Imlil, national park of Toubkal) (Ourigane- Tin mal Mosque-) or (Ourika valley)..etc all are less than 1 hour and 30 mins drive from Marrakech.
During the second free day in Fez, you can visit The Roman ruin of Volubilis, Moulay Iddrss 82km from Fez and the Smallest Imperial city of Meknes.
Make sure to list the attractions you would want to see and experience with your guided tour in both Fez and Marrakech, Also let your guides know that you are not into the shopping thing in advance.
Naccer Palace is situated in the village of Hassi lbied, within few steps from the dunes..
Not all the camps in the dunes contain western restroom, if so is of important to you, then check that out with your operator,
At last your oncoming trip to the exotic Morocco contains Fes, Sahara and Marrakech which I believe would give you a proufound insight of the Kingdom.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you tizi --
I was also trying to decide if a sidetrip to Volubilis is doable - sounds like it is.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Hi there, I am also planning a trip to Morocco in October and would like to suggest you check out Chefchaouen; it is supposed to be the prettiest town in the country.. Have fun
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

I will look at that. Such a big country with so many places to see & so little time (for us)!

Are you still planning to drive yourself, bushwoman?
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Hi Leslie_S, no I decided against it; one of the threads suggested I not drive alone--too many hassles and possible danger. I am going with a guide,but still trying to lower their prices--you get screwed when it is just one person....
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

I wouldn't want to drive but I'm a little bit wimpier - I wouldn't want to go alone either!

I know the pricing is bad for one (bad enough for two) for drivers/guides. The woman that I'm working with for this tour (Liz Williams at Authentic Morocco) has a lot of info on her site about trips to the desert if you are looking for that kind of thing. I haven't gotten through the trip yet so can't really recommend but she's been great to work with during planning.