Moroccan Itinerary ideas?

Nov 21st, 2005, 05:38 PM
Oma
Original Poster

Moroccan Itinerary ideas?

Hi!

So I'm going to Morocco, and I'd love to hear your ideas on what to see and how to get there. I'm on a slim budget (mostly hostels, a riad now and then for a treat) so I can't afford to fly around but was wondering if you might have tips on getting shared taxis and taking the bus (whether it's reliable). I'm arriving in Melilla on the 11th and have to leave from Tangier on the 23rd. I am thinking of going:
- Fes
- Rissani (I assume this will take me a couple of days to get to and from)
- Casablanca
- Marrakech
- Tangier
I definitely want to see a bit of the Sahara and travel through the Atlas (though I don't necessarily need to hike it).

I would really love to hear from you. If it was your dream trip (okay... your ultra-cheap dream) what would you see? Any places I shouldn't miss? Anyone you want me to say hi to for you?

Laur
Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:14 AM

Hi Oma,
I've been living in Morocco for several years now and have done roughly the trip you're describing before...here are my thoughts:

CTM buses are reliable and comfortable, albeit a little slow. You may also look into shared taxis - I find these to be faster and a more interesting journey.

From Melilla, you could reach Fes in one day by either bus or taxi, but it would be a long one. You might think about stopping in Chefchaouen along the way - its a perfect stop-over and is a very charming village to visit for a day or so.

From Chefchaouen, Fes is about a 5 hour bus journey (a little quicker by taxi). I'd recommend at least two days in Fes.

From Fes, you can reach Rissani in one day, but again, its a long one! The journey will take you through the Atlas mountains, sp you'll get to see the scenery if you dont det a chnace to sop over somewhere like Azrou or Ifrane (they're so close to Fes, they dont really break the journey up into convenient chunks).

From Rissani, you can travel by bus or taxi to Marrakech... I've done it in one day, but would NOT recommend it. Instead, consider stopping in one of the beautful villages along the way (Skoura, Kelaa M'Gouna, etc).

I'd leave at least three days for Marrakech...and I'd avoid Casablanca altogether. The mosque there is lovely, but I dont think it justifies a visit to an otherwise drab city. I think Rabat is much more friendly, accessible, and beautiful. You can take a train from Marrakech to Casa/ Rabat and then on to Tangier - second class tickets are very reasonably priced (so is first class for that matter).

I havent read your profile, but if you are a single female traveller, Tangier can be challening (well, all places can be, but I've found Tangier particularly so). If you're willing to spend as little time as possible there, you might be able to spend more time in other places or even add on a short trip from Marrakech to Essaouira.

Hope this helps!
Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:34 AM

Hi,

Have you thought about going to the High Atlas? You can stay at the fabulous Kasbah du Toubkal!

Check my site for more information as well as places to stay and eat in marrakech.

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/morocco
Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Oma
Original Poster

Fassia: Thank you so much!!! That is an amazing help. I was basically planning to just sort of see Tangier as it goes by on the way back through to Spain, so that helps me feel good about that decision... also the points about Casablanca, and the ideas for towns to stop at to break up the journey. It's good to know that I should be able to make Rissani in a day from Fes if necessary. I'll probably stop on the way to Marrakech to take in a little atmosphere now though. You've bumped my excitement level up about fifteen notches, and I thought I was already maxed out. Thank you again!! Want me to bring you anything from Canada? ;-)

Luckykat: Thank you too! I've looked at your site... very nice places.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Oma
Original Poster

Oh! And I was planning on stopping at Chefchouen as well but it seemed out of the way from Fes. I'm glad to hear it's on the way because I will definitely be stopping there.

Is it too early to start packing??
Nov 30th, 2005, 03:46 AM
z_a

HELLO ,
it is really a good idea to visit the golden dunes of sand or what we call most of time the desert . it is another world that worth being seen . pepole come to see it from different parts of the world as the desert is wonderful quite and secure as well . i am not advertising it but this how it is . I live close to it . it is my favourite place where i prefer to spend my holiday; besides, it is totally different from the life you live there as you will have a chance to meet simple ordidary people .some of them still live in tents.you will have also the chance to ride camels and feel the way our incestors used to live centuries ago .I advise you not to miss
the chance of it instead of staying in big cities as they are nearly the same as your city where you live . which is not the case in the desert .
you can see the whole desert in a few days ,but you can not see big cities on that time . Thereare old castles near the desert . They were built centuries ago for the sake of protection from enmies because of wars in the past .
ENJOY YOUR TRIP

Search this Thread