Search

Last Minute Trip to Morocco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Trip to Morocco

I've had some amazing luck and am getting the chance to spend two weeks in Morocco. Since my trip is so incredibly last minute, I am scrambling to get everything lined up in time. I was hoping some of you who have traveled Morocco could give me some pointers about what to see.

Other than the main cities: Marrakesh, Casablanca, Fes, Rabat, and Meknes. I am still working on places to hit. Since I fly into Marrakesh and out of Fes I think it sets up nicely for a trip from one to the other with a lot of stops along the way.

Any advice, locations, or places to visit would be amazing.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't count Casablanca among the "places to hit". Compared with just about anyplace else, there's just not much of interest for a visitor. It's more a commercial city.

From Marrakech I'd recommend a visit to Essaouira, by comfortable bus or hire your own grand taxi (car & driver). Your accommodation in Marrakech can arrange it for you. I've done it both ways and will always now choose the bus, but for the first time being picked up & dropped off is nice and not terribly expensive.

From Marrakech take the train north, likely change trains at Casa Voyageur station in Casablanca, then on to your next stop. Rabat is nice for a couple of days then I suggest going on by train to Fes. Meknes can be done as a day trip from Fes so no need to move twice.

There are other day trips you can do from Fes, including Volubilis (Roman ruins). I assume you have a guide book and can read up on the area and decide what interests you. It's easy to make arrangements after arrival.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for the info about Casablanca. I started out thinking Marrakesh would be the 'hub' of the entire trip but the more I read I find that Fes seems to be a great place to spend some time in.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I, personally, prefer Marrakech to Fes, in part because of the proximity to Essaouira. But others prefer Fes so it's subjective. Divide the bulk of your trip between the 2 and by the end you'll know which you prefer.

The reason I think I prefer Marrakech is the medina is larger and more accessible than the Fes medina. There's quite a lot of it beyond the touristy parts and that's what I enjoy most. But others will be along, I'm sure, to tell that Fes is better. But it hardly matters if, on this trip, you plan to see both.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the "prefer Fes" camp, but you should see both and make your own mind up. I found Fes' medina much more atmospheric than the one in Marrakesh. Do visit Essaouira - I took the bus both ways, but if you want to stop off and see the goats in trees you'll need a car.