Where to go in Morocco

Jun 24th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Where to go in Morocco

My husband and I will be travelling to Morocco from NYC in the beginning of October and would like to know what cities to visit and what things to do. We are in our early 30s and will be in Morocco for about 6 days. We enjoy good food, dancing, shopping and a bit of sight seeing. This is our first trip together outside of the Caribbean and though we do want to take advantage of seeing the great landscape, we also want to relax and lay back for a bit as well.

Thanks,
Dorianne
Jun 24th, 2013, 05:46 PM

I know Morocco has 3 of your 4. I haven't been dancing there so I can't advise you in that regard. So, as you say "a bit of sightseeing" it would seem that food and shopping are at the top of your list.

Many here like Fes best. But for restaurants and a wide range of shopping Marrakech cannot be surpassed. As for the sightseeing, from Marrakech it's an easy drive to the coast for some hanging out in Essaouira. These places are not secrets by any means but that's so because they make such an interesting, lively and well-rounded combination for your 6 days. I wouldn't bother trying to do more given your desire for relaxing.
Jun 25th, 2013, 05:53 AM

Why did you choose Morocco? What do you know about it? It is not the normal first choice for people who haven't been beyond the Caribbean. I suggest some time with a guidebook. Preferably more than one.
Jun 25th, 2013, 07:28 AM

I agree with thursdaysd that it seems an unusual choice. Not that it can't be done, but I wouldn't decide on going to Morocco before I'd done a lot of investigating first. A good guidebook would serve you well. I'm in the process of planning a trip there. I think the Fodor's guide is quite well done. (This is the Fodor's site, after all. )
Jun 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Ian

6 days is a short visit to Morocco so I concur that you would have to limit yourself to 2 destinations. Marrakech & Essaouira would make sense because you won't waste a day in travel between them. And forget a desert trip because that is 3-4 days on its own, although you could do a day trip out of Marrakech to see the High Atlas foothills. Read some trip reports here to get a feel for what you might like.

Ian
Jun 27th, 2013, 04:40 AM

Agree, distances in Morocco are longer than they seem on maps. Marrakech as a base with day trips to the High Atlas Mt & Essaouira for instance is a good choice.
Regards
Jun 27th, 2013, 05:14 AM

The best places you should visit are: Marrakech ,The hight atlas mountains aera (berber villages..oasis and vallies) and the sahara desert
Jun 27th, 2013, 04:06 PM

We also are planning a trip to Morocco. My son was there a few months ago. He said that if we went no where else we should go to Fez. It is still a Medieval City. He suggested we stay 2 - 3 days. The tannery is there and the souks/bazaar are wonderful. Don't be put off because you haven't traveled much before this unless you are very timid people. I understand that Moroccan people are very friendly and you shouldn't anticipate having any problems, just adventures. Have a great time!
Jun 28th, 2013, 05:03 PM

I personally think that Fez is the best place to visit in Morocco, however given your interests and the short time of your stay, I would agree that Marrakech would be a great destination for you. And Yes, do go to Essaouria (did I spell that right?). An interesting seaside location where Hippies used to gather. Now great for shopping, sightseeing and eating. You could easily hire a car to go there. But Marrakech itself offers enough. Great manageable bazaar for shopping, the Djemma el Fna (large square) for watching sights like snake charmers, and nice restaurants. Lovely hotels, too. And be sure to see the Majorelle Gardens. Unbelievable. Oh dear, now I want to go back ;-) Great country to visit. Have a wonderful time!
Aug 1st, 2013, 02:18 AM

There are a lot of cities to visit in Morocco for either dancing, shopping or sight seeing. I don't advice to eat anywhere in any cheap restaurant.
Anyhow if you need help planning your trip, I'd be glad to assist. Cities to visit : Tangier, Marrakech, Essaouira, Fez, Agadir, Ouarzazate ...
Aug 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM

We just returned from 4 days in Marrakech and loved it! It was not one of our usual travel destinations (but isn't that what travel is all about?) so we did our research and, since it was a place we always wanted to see, we decided to go for a few days after a 10 day trip to Spain.

We stayed at the La Maison Arabe and it was perfect for us. Our suite was spacious and lovely. The riad has a relaxing pool area right on the property but they also have a larger pool area in a lovely garden setting a short distance away from the riad. They have free shuttle service for that. We had breakfasts and dinners at the riad as well. They have live music for dinner entertainment and a pleasant jazz bar. The front desk people are very helpful with helping you arrange things to do and see. We hired a guide to take us on a visit to the souk and we were glad we did that, too. We attended the cooking class and found that very interesting and informative. We found time to just sit outside on the balcony early in the morning and late at night - very relaxing. We also visited the Jardin Majorelle - beautiful!You can do as much or as little as you want.

BTW, it was between 114 and 117 degrees while we were there. I think October would be perfect as far as heat is concerned.

Also, I got a great deal of helpful information about Marrakech on TA.

Enjoy your visit!
Aug 6th, 2013, 01:32 AM

As far as I like the landscape more than the cities, in general I mean, I would recommend Draa Valley. Really impressive!
Sep 4th, 2013, 10:25 AM

I don't know really so many place in Morocco. I've spent most of my time in Marrakech and Essaouira. I will suggest them because you can feel the exotic feeling of Morocco, expecially in the medina of Marrakech. The new city of Marrakech, Gueliz, is pretty good for restaurant and cafe that serve alcol. Hivernage is good for night club. Probably Marrakech is the best choice in Marocco if youwant to go and dancing. ANd there is also the Palmaire if you want to relax in a luxury swimmingpool or play golf. Essaouira is particulary strange. Usually 15 degree less then Marrakech. A lot of wind. If you want to have an idea you could watch the Wender's movie "Otello". I believe the didn't need to make artificial wind. Is a medina on the beach. is fresh and blue. is relaxing. not so many things to do as in Marrakech, if you don't do acquatic sports as surf. but still few cafe on the beach with live music and where you can get some beers or wine.

Personally I'm planning to spend sometimes in Tangier and then in dhakla on the south. I heard some comments about them that make me think they could be really interesting.

Btw if you decide to come here and you need some info, write me: [email protected]

Search this Thread