Masai village

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masai village

How much do you have to pay to go to a Masai village.And whom do you pay to? Does the lodge/camp organise a visit.

When do you visit.... in the afternoon or evening or is it in lieu of a game drive?
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM

It was part of our camp package. We did not pay anything extra. It was a wonderful afternoon (in lieu of a game drive).

I suppose however, it depends on where and when you are going and how your safari operator works. I have read that some people have to pay for photos, etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:50 AM

We went to the village in Amboseli. It was $20. I guess we went as part of our afternoon game drive.

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM

The $20 per person seems about right.

You can arrange the visit before you leave home as part of your overall package. One time when I did that, we decided to change plans and do some other activities when we got to the camp. So I'd advise against planning the visit up front. It's not like the Masai will be booked before you get there and you need to secure an appointment.

Otherwise I've had either the camp or the guide arrange the visit. I've either given the money directly to one of the Masai or to the guide who then paid.

You can go most anytime. If you wanted to go midday so as not to miss a game activity, that can be done. Just make your wishes known. I've gone am and pm, instead of a game drive, and also along with the game drive. You can visit at the start or end of your drive.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM
sandi

If it hasn't been prearranged and paid for by your tour operator, you can visit a Manyatta in both countries. On average the price is $20-$25, depending on the going rate for a particular day.

This can be arranged with your guide if on a private safari, for a stop on the way somewhere, during a game drive; if at a lodge or camp with set game drive times, arrange for during free time.

If Kenya only, it's interesting to see both a Masai and Samburu Manyatta... there are some differences. Likewise, in Serengeti, you have choices to be exposed to different customs.

Do it at least once during your visit.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are on a private safari so will make sure we visit the Masai village or the Samburu Manyatta before or after a game drive.

I'm not too sure if its all 'set up' or very touristic and am a lil' apprehensive about their 'hard selling'. Is it easy to walk away without buying anything? But wouldn't like to miss out on anything really....
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM
sandi

Your guides, especially being on a private safari, can run interferrence for you. You can let him know how you feel about "hard sell" and he should be able to handle. He's also good for negotiating prices. Remember, there is always the safety of your vehicle if you become uncomfortable.

But, realize these villagers, earn their living from the many items they produce, especially the beaded items the women make. The children are so cute, even if a bit tattered... the smiles are wonderful! And, they just love seeing themselves on the screens of your digi cameras.

You're not alone in your feeling, so just take a deep breath and go for it. It can be interesting, rewarding and an insight into village life.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:29 AM

IMO Maasai visit experiences differ depending on location.

On the main safari highway between Ngorongoro and the Serengeti the visits are well orchestrated. They do it all day long 7 days a week! Average cost is $50 per car which the guide pays to a designated "tour guide" - normally a young Maasai from the boma who has been to school with some English.

Inside, the guide will explain a bit about village life, the Maasai women will line up and sing, the young men will do a few jumps, and they will show you a hut. Afterwards you will be directed to a display of hand made jewelry. The women will also try to sell you beads and other crafts.

It is all done in a very friendly way and while the ladies are persistent they are also very charming and it is hard to say no!

In the mean time, the next car shows up and the process repeats itself!

While touristy, these are working Maasai bomas and it is good to stop at least once if you are on a schedule.

In other parts of Tanzania (West Kilimanjaro comes to mind) the visits are certainly more relaxed. You may not see jumping and may not get to hear them sing but you will see how they interact with each other and with their livestock. Walking with an elder in the bush and learning about the different plants they utilize is a great experience.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM

I posted about how overwhelming the visit was for me, and yes it is a hard sell, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. When I return I would definitely visit again. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to expect (which I did not), so I think you would do fine. Our guide did NOT go into the village with us, and think next time I would prefer he did.
Our visit took place on the drive between Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. It was not taking the place of any game drives, just a stop along the way.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I remember that in 1990 on our first visit, we were warned to put a few dollars in the right pocket and about 10 dollars in the left and leave the rest in the car.

That way when the "hard" sell came, you could decide just how much money you were going to spend....

Again, you can decide how much you want to put in each pocket.

It was always amazing that the beaded necklaces that they were wearing were always much better than the ones they were selling....

I still have several necklaces handing on my rec room wall.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Our visit was in West Kilimanjaro (see my trip report) and it was very relaxed. Our guide & a Maasai guide were with us, and we were free to roam around and speak to others, take pictures, etc. There was definitely no hard sell afterwards - I felt no presure to buy (although I did anyway). We even gave a lift to a young boy who needed to get to another Boma near our camp. There were no other tourists at this village while we were there.

It was really a highlight of our trip.

carol
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM

In perhaps the same vein as visiting a Masai village - I wonder if anyone has visited the Iraqw tribe centre in Karatu near the Crater? Is it a true cultural visit inside a village? Our itinerary has a scheduled stop there after lunch at Gibb's farm, but we have no details...
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:52 PM

We paid $50 for the whole car (4 people in our car). Our guide said some Maasai village will charge $10/person rather than per car. The fee was paid to the elder in the village in cash. We visited a village aroud Olduvai Gorge.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM

As with SeeSee's post, we chose to not stop at a boma near Odovai (perhaps the same one), but were told it was $50/car. We instead visited a village at Longido (close to the Kenyan border, just NW of Arusha). I can't especially recommend that one...but it did yield some interesting experiences (to be told in my eventual trip report).