Malaria Free/Luxury Camp?

Apr 7th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Malaria Free/Luxury Camp?

I'm planning a 2 night safari for a group of 16 adults (diviating for 2 nights while on a cruise). We'd like to reserve the entire camp (need at least 8 suites) for just our group if possible. Besides good game viewing, We're looking for something 4-5 star, spa, private plunge pool (preferred but not required)and would like a camp in a Malaria free zone (South Africa?). I found the perfect property (Eagle Cragg in Shamwari) but it's not available the dates we need in February '07. Back to the drawing board!! Any suggestions?
Apr 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Makanyane in Madikwe
Apr 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hello,

Take a look at Phinda Getty Lodge and Phinda Zuka

http://www.phinda.com

Another good option is Kwandwe

http://www.kwandwe.com

Both are much nicer than Eagle Cragg and will offer both superb game-viewing and great food.

Cheers,
Julian
Apr 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM

There are a number of such lodges in the Madikwe Game Reserve. Madikwe Hills is one that I can recommend from experience.
Apr 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hello,

Madikwe is a nice reserve, but it's quite out of the way and the amount you would pay for transfers is going to pretty steep -- not the best value for money when you only have 2 nights. I would recommend saving the money on transportation and spending it on a first-class lodge.

Phinda Zuka and Phinda Getty are probably two of your best options, because these lodges are intended for exclusive use by larger parties and thus are less likely to be booked out. The problem with some of the other camps is that they may well have one or two rooms booked for your dates which would prove problematic for a group your size. These are first-class lodges in an excellent reserve, and CCAfrica is renowned for their service and fine cuisine.

Kwandwe is a Relais and Chateaux property and would make a great option as well.

You may also want to take a look at the following lodges:

River Bend Lodge

http://www.riverbendlodge.co.za

River Bend will soon be offering elephant-back safaris in addition to their other acitvities.

Bushman's Kloof:

http://www.bushmanskloof.co.za

If you do choose Madikwe, take a look at Madikwe Safari Lodge -- I have stayed there and this lodge is amazing value for money, with great service and great food. However, I do think the game-viewing would be better at Phinda or Kwandwe.

A good tour operator should be able to negotiate a discount for a group your size.

Cheers,
Julian
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much!
Apr 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately Phinda Getty Lodge and Phinda Zuka have only 4 suites each so I don't think either would work for our larger group.

Our group has given me the go ahead to open my search up to areas that are NOT located in the Malaria Free Zone. This will include Krueger Nat'l Park so should give me a lot more options if anything comes to mind. It will sure be appreciated!
Apr 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Hello,

How about doing both Getty and Zuka? If your group is willing to split up, this might be a great option.

Where is your cruise arriving and departing from? Given that you only have two days, this will be a very important factor. You don't want to spend more time on planes than you do on safari.

Cheers,
Julian
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

No, we're not willing to split up. We will be leaving from Cape Town on Feb. 4 for a safari camp for 2 nights and returning to reunite with the ship in Richards Bay on Feb. 6 (anytime of day as the ship will overnight there). I am thinking we need to accommodate at least 18 people (9 tents). Game viewing is key but don't want to sacrifice Luxury either. Singita wasn't available (and would have been too expensive anyway I'm afraid). Thanks for such great ideas you're giving me!
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM
sandi

If you disembark in CPT and re-embark at Richard's Bay, you'll have to find something that's close enough not to take up your time with getting to/from (even if flying) wherever you find space for your entire group.

I can't offer recommendations, so will leave for others.

Search this Thread