Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Your favorite game lodge in greater Kruger?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested to know from others what is your favorite game lodge in the greater Kruger area (including Sabi Sand and Timbavati) and why?
Onne from Wild Wings Safaris
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM

My absolute favourite is LONDOLOZI. Game viewing is excellent, the food delish, rooms - exceptionally great selection of accommodation styles - wonderful and the guiding and overall staff out of this world.

Second choice is Sabi Sabi EARTH.

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, nothing else comes close. I will be at Londolozi Granite next month, I suspect that will be a close second.

Mike
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Part of a reply should be which camps you have visited.
Sooo, in Timbavati been to Kings Camp (four times) and Ngala Lodge. In Sabi Sand MalaMala (three times) Leopard Hills and Kirkmans Kamp.
Rank for game viewing - MalaMala slightly better than Kings Camp, Leopard Hills and Kirkmans. Ngala Lodge for sure last place.
Room, general facilities, staff - Leopard Hills slightly ahead of Kings Camp, but love Kings Camp. MalaMala, Kirkmans tied. Ngala Lodge last again.
$$$ value - First is Kings Camp (special $$$ deals). MalaMala and Kirkmans next. Leopard Hills next because expensive. Ngala Lodge last, again.

I know other camps both reserves are also great and if Fodors (or anyone) would like to sponsor my stay at each for five nights for comprehensive evaluation, I'll pack my bags tonight!!!!

regards - tom
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

I agree with you Tom, helpful to know which camps you are comparing. Also in terms of price range, the top end and bottom end camps aren't really competing with each other.
Wow interesting feedback about Ngala, sounds like you were not too impressed with them.
Onne
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM

Mike - Granite and Ivory is really close! You WILL LOVE IT!

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM

Visited Mala Mala, Kirkmans and Leadwood.

Enjoyed Leadwood as it was smaller and guiding was great.

Game viewing was better at Mala Mala but I felt a little bit too organised there being bigger.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM

Mike - if you can fit it in: IVORY 3 for 2 up until April next year - Xmas excluded.

Happy travels!

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM

"Wow interesting feedback about Ngala, sounds like you were not too impressed with them."

I was there for 8 nights in Sep 2008. Main problem I had with Ngala Safari Lodge (not Ngala Tented) is its location stuck on a little sliver of &Beyond land so that you have to drive 20-30 minutes down south into other &Beyond land for good game viewing. See this map, see Ngala Lodge up in top left corner -
http://tinyurl.com/22m24vt

Second main problem I had with Ngala Safari Lodge was my guide. When I checked in at Ngala I told the manager I was avid photographer and would very appreciate a guide who was also into photography. The guide they assigned me was not. His attitude for photos was - you can see so take a picture. Half way through my stay I changed guides, for the better.

For more on this and other such see my Fodors trip report -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35161085

regards - tom
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM

Spass, I love Ivory Lodge and it probably will stay #1 for me because I have made so many friends there. It becomes more than just lodge quality. As for their special, I am definitely aware of it !

Mike