New Book - "My Heart is Africa"

Apr 4th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

New Book - "My Heart is Africa"

I found a newly published book while browsing the Travel section of my local book store recently. It's called "My Heart is Africa - A Flying Adventure" by Scott Griffin.

The book is written by a Canadian businessman and certified pilot who decided to break from the comfortable routine of his life to go work for the Flying Doctors Service in Africa. Scott flew his small, single engine plane from Toronto to Kenya, and once in Africa circumnavigated the continent. Griffin discovered the heartrending humanity and beauty of Africa.

"My Heart is Africa is an absorbing adventure story, but it is also the story of Africa - its problems and people, its landscapes and limitations, its culture and courage..." I'm really enjoying the book so far...one of the many I'm reading prior to my departure for Kenya and Tanzania in less than 3 months!

ISBN 0-88762-191-0
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM
santharamhari

Thanks, will have to give it a go....

Hari

Apr 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Calo:

Thanks for letting us know about what sounds like a very interesting book. Sounds like one I need to add to my "Africa library".
Apr 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Wonder how Rocco is doing on his pilots license. Probably need to save up for his blockbuster on his flight around Africa.
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:41 AM
africnow

Thanks Calo. Have just added it to my pre-trip reading list.

Apr 6th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to add that all royalties from this book go to the Flying Doctors Service!
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I thought I had this book in my wish list at Amazon but I looked today. I have a different Flying Doctor book, Daktari: A Surgeon's Adventures With the Flying Doctors of East Africa. Has anyone read this one?

Amazon shows My Heart is Africa has not been released yet. "This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."
Apr 7th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Sundowner...interesting. It's a Canadian publication, so perhaps that's why it's available here already? Just a guess.

I haven't read Daktari: A Surgeon's Adventures With the Flying Doctor's of East Africa. I'll add that one to my list of must-reads. Thank you.
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:01 AM
africnow

Just tried to order it from amazon.uk - the anticipated delivery date is October 2006!

Apr 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Try http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ca&pageSize=10 if you don't mind ordering from Canada.
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM
africnow

Thanks! Just ordered it.

Search this Thread