Search

Leaving tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving tomorrow!

Aaaieee!!! So excited - getting ready to start packing as we're leaving in the morning for our trip to S. Africa.

I have a question about the weight limit on luggage. I believe that it's 70 lbs for international, but the charter flights that take us from lodge to lodge have a 30lb weight limit. What happens if we're over? My husband has a breathing machine for sleep apnea that weighs over 10 lbs by itself; that's a third of his limit for two weeks!

I'm usually a light packer, but wow - I'm wondering on earth people stay w/i 30 lbs each?? I mean, our empty suitcases alone eat up a portion of that.

Toss any ideas my way!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Krystan, how excited you must both be! As for packing advice, do your lodges offer laundry service? During my trip last May, I found it was possible to bring just three outfits; as all the lodges did daily laundry. Of course, I took twice as much clothing as needed! Next trip I've promised myself to take less clothing. Also (and I probably shouldn't say this), none of the charter flights actually weighed my luggage. Travel safely and please bring back some great stories.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:41 PM

Krystan, I've forgotten your itinerary but if you are only going to South Africa, the planes allowed us 2 duffel bags per person and a weight limit around 44lb per person not counting about 10 lb of camera bag weight. We did have our luggage weighed once at a Southern African airport and it was also checked by someone working with our travel company early on in the trip. I saw a pilot make a woman leave one oversized, heavy bag behind. I'm sure they will be considerate regarding medical eqt however we were told to use soft-sided bags - partly because they weight nothing but more for the consideration of the pilots trying to cram bags into a small storage area of the plane - do a search for luggage here to read more as this has been discussed before. Did your travel agent not tell you this?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys! I'm in the middle of packing/unpacking, pulling an all-nighter. But hey, we all know I'll have *plenty* of time to sleep on the plane (there's a method to my madness...)

After reading your posts, I felt better about deciding to pack an extra suitcase and leave it behind (at the hotel in Cape Town) while we do the week on safari - sounds like they'll understand. If not I've just decided I'll mail the excess home.

This whole trip will be heaven once we get there, but has been a nightmare so far in that we've left everything until the last possible minute (air tickets just arrived today, just now able to really get packing, hours before we leave <howl&gt

I don't blame my travel agent for not getting this info as we had to move the trip up a week at the last second. (But am thankful for you two for your replies!!)
Another good point of sleep deprivation; no matter what....who cares anymore? ;-) It's all good....
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys! I'm in the middle of packing/unpacking, pulling an all-nighter. But hey, we all know I'll have *plenty* of time to sleep on the plane (there's a method to my madness...)

After reading your posts, I felt better about deciding to pack an extra suitcase and leave it behind (at the hotel in Cape Town) while we do the week on safari - sounds like they'll understand. If not, I've just decided I'll mail the excess home.

This whole trip will be heaven once we get there, but has been a nightmare so far in that we've left everything until the last possible minute (air tickets just arrived today, just now able to really get packing, hours before we leave <howl&gt

I don't blame my travel agent for not getting this info as we had to move the trip up a week at the last second. (But am thankful for you two for your replies!!)
Another good point of sleep deprivation; no matter what....who cares anymore? ;-) It's all good....

Thanks again, and will post when I get back! YeOW-zers!!! That thought was enough to wake me up! <doin' a dance - 'going to Africa, going to Africa...'>
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 05:25 AM
sandi

Krystan -

>>deciding to pack an extra suitcase and leave it behind (at the hotel in Cape Town) while we do the week on safari - sounds like they'll understand. If not I've just decided I'll mail the excess home.<<

Are you returning to CPT to pick up this bag? Accordingly to itinerary you listed in previous post you end trip at Singita!! This is closer to JNB and would assume you'd return home from here? Unless you are indeed going all the way back to CPT.

From CPT to Ngala, you should be flying from CPT to JNB then c onnecting to flight to Ngala - are you talking a scheduled flight or one of the very very small charters? There is more than enough room on the regularly scheduled plans to take everything. We flew into Hoedspruit with few passengers (maybe 10) and we had all our bags with us - a small charter, on the other hand, doesn't have sufficient room.

If the latter, you can store your extra "stuff" on the lower level storage room (though some people take their bags cross to the Intercontinental Hotel [connected to Intl terminal] and store there) Note: both CPT/JNB/Camps will be out of Domestic Terminal.

Then when returning from Singita (into Domestic Terminal), pick up stuff for boarding homebound trip (in International Terminal).

Just some things to think.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Sandy -

You know, I don't even know exactly how we're flying (charter-wise). I booked the trip through go2africa.com, and she pretty much took care of all transfers for me; said she'd have someone waiting at the airport for us. Also, I am flying out of Cape Town; I didn't realize that Johannesburg was closer to Singita! Should have studied my maps a bit more closely, or communicated my plans to the consolidator.

I'm actually in the lounge at Virgin-Atlantic right now, enroute, so I will have to play it by ear once I arrive. I noted your tidbit on perhaps carrying things across to the InterContinental - that's good to know.

Thanks again for your advice - you are such a great help on this board!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:19 AM
sandi

Krystan -

You'll probably read this once in-country.

But it's possible your transfer from Ngala to Singita will be by road - a bit long and bumpy, but if so, you can take everything in the vehicle.

So do check upon arrival whether you're on scheduled flights JNB to Ngala with a road transfer to Singita - or on small charters to and between camps and JNB. This will let you know what you have to do with excess baggage.

Have a great time and let's hear "your stories" when you return.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:07 AM

Hi Krystan, I see that you are using go2Africa.com. I have been corresponding (lots of email) with them for the last week and so far they have been great. They have answered all my questions, plus given some good advice. I am planning a 2 week trip to South Africa in March 2004 that includes 4 days in Cape Town and a 5 day safari to Kruger Nat'l Park with a couple of days of just sightseeing. Please let me know how your trip was. If anyone has used this travel company, please let me know. This is my first trip to South Africa and I am going alone.