Stellenbosch or Franschhoek

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stellenbosch or Franschhoek

After 4 nights in Cape Town and 2 nights in Hermanus, we want to spend 1 night in the wine area. Which town would you recommend? Any suggestions on where to stay would be appreciated.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM

Personally, Stellenbosch though both are lovely. Can recommend the cottages at Blaauklippen Lodge, in S'bosch - (021)8800315 (I think!)
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Stellenbosch is a fairly big town, Franschhoek is really a village. I've stayed in both, and loved both. The two experiences differ, though. Stellenbosch has the university, and lots of wine and agricultural business, and generally is a place that would be there whether you're there or not. Franschhoek is an arty place, existing mostly because of tourists. It isn't "touristy",though; on the contrary, it has lots of charm.

(I realize my reply isn't very helpful, Brit!)
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 08:07 AM

I agree - you can't go wrong with either but if I were forced to choose I'd say Stellenbosch
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:44 PM

Brit,

I agree with all the excellent above postings that both towns have something going them. I however would choose to stay in Stellenbosch for 3 reasons:

1. There is much more to do in Stellenbosch than Franschhoek, after all Stellenbosch is a much bigger town than Franschhoek. There are many more places to choose from where to stay in Stellenbosch and even though the restaurants in Franschhoek are better than the Stellenbosch ones there still is great food to be had in the university town. The choice of winefarms to visit are also much more in Stellenbosch than Franschhoek

2. Stellenbosch definitely has a local feel about it whereas Franschhoek is a tourist town all the way.

3. Whether you stay in Stellenbosch or Franschhoek you will be in a position to within a 45 minute car ride visit the town that you are not staying in so you wont miss out on any of the two anyway.

Hope this helps you in making up your mind.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa