SA Winelands

Jul 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

SA Winelands

My husband and I are going to stay three nights in the Winelands. Hopefully one at Roggeland in Paarl, one at De Goue Druif in Stellenbosch and am looking for a place in Franschoek. I'd prefer to stay in a place that also has a great dining experience and not over US$175 per night.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM

From the budget you're quoting I'm guessing you're looking for something rather special and luxurious - that budget will go far in the winelands.

I know Selwyn, a seasoned cape traveller, recommends the Cathbert Country Inn, both for accommodation and food, I think.

If you're looking for something a little more homey but very comfortable and friendly I recently stayed in the Plumwood Inn. Roel and Lucienne are wonderful hosts and prepare lovely breakfasts. They do offer meals which we didn't try but are also only a minute's walk from Le Bon Vivante, possibly one of the best restaurants I have eaten in. Simply superb cuisine.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. We're not looking for anything that luxurious, we're much more into food and wine and don't want to drink and drive.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM

We stayed at the Auberge Clermont recently. It was very pretty and well situated on a working farm. They served lovely breakfasts but no other meals. It wasn't an issue because you are only a short drive from the town. It was comfortable and very pleasant but you may want something higher end.
La Petite Ferme has accommodation. It is a little further out of town but is beautifully situated. We had lunch there. The smoked trout is a specialty and was fantastic. They also have an excellent wine list.
They do serve breakfast but only to guests. I don't think they serve supper.
If Selwyn picks up this thread he may be able to give you other options.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Carol,

Well as you have heard from Kavey I would recommend Cathbert but then as I dont know whether you want to be located in the town of Franschhoek or in the farmlands of Franshhoek my suggestion could be way off beam.

Cathbert is a guesthouse/farm located 25 km from Franschhoek. Your hosts will be Robert and Ann Morley who are marvellous people. The establishment is so peaceful and tranquil as it is set high up in the Franschhoek mountains. You wont hear a car. All you hear is nature around you and the scenery is to die for. Nirvana would be a good description of Cathbert in my opinion. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. The food is fantastic too. Ann (owner) prepares delicious meals and it really is a pleasure to have to want to enjoy these meals on the premises. Be aware that Ann does not serve meals on a Snnday.

The location of Cathbert is absolutely first class in terms of wanting to explore the Winelands. In my opinion, as tourism professional, I think it represents an absolute delight to want to stay at this establishment.

Please go to http://www.cathbert.co.za where you will see more of the venue.
I have also taken some pics at the guesthouse and I set up a special
separate website for you to use so as to help you in seeing what a gem
Cathbert truly is. Go to http://www.cathbert.cjb.net to see the site that I set up.

I also must comment that I dont know anything about Plumwood Inn but the venue sure is getting some good reviews on Fodors and it seems as if Kavey could well have found a gem that could become a Fodors type hidden secret. All I can comment on is that the location of Plumtree is superb and it seems as if the accommodation is just as good.

In terms of the cost of stay I cannot comment as you would have to tell us when you will be travelling in the Cape Winelands region for me to do so.

What amazes me is the fact that you
are travelling from place to place every day and only doing one night stays. One of the nice functions of the Cape Winelands is that if you could find a venue that is central you could stay at the establishment and use it as a pivot to explore the Winelands without having to pack up every day so as to move to a new venue. I suppose it is a case of horses for courses depending on ones travelling style. With that said most of my visitors dont like the concept of one nighters and much prefer two+ night events.

Anyway I hope all of the above helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

I've checked out Cathbert Country Inn and it looks lovely. I'll look into the other suggestions. I'm fine if a place does not serve food, if there are restaurants within walking distance.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Could someone please enlighten me how far the SA winelands would be from Johanessburg?

We are considering Kruger and Okavango Delta safaris and my husband has recently showed an interest in the winelands.

Is it easy to get to from these areas?

Thanks!
Ericka
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving in Cape Town on October 31st. Tis true, packing and unpacking is a pain, but each area; i.e., Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschhoek, have their own special feel. I've been to the Winelands twice before. I'd happily stay in one place, but want to experience different restaurants.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Ericka: You would need to catch a flight down to Cape Town. From there it's just a short drive out of Cape Town.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Advantage of Plumwood Inn is that it's only a minute from the main street of Franschhoek and so very close indeed to many of the fine restaurants.

We stayed 3 nights and had a great time and ate very well indeed.

If you make an enquiry please say hello from Kavita to Roel and Lucienne. They gave me a fantastic low season rate and looked after us very well - nice tea/ coffee as soon as we came home from a day out, drinks in the lounge chatting.

They do have one superior room which is larger than their other rooms, we were perfectly happy with our standard double room - we were in the room called Vineyard, an ensuite double. Not huge but beautifully decorated and very comfortable.

Main plus for us was excellent value, wonderful hosts and location, location, location - very very quiet and yet so close to the good restaurants.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow, now it's getting difficult. Both Cathbert and Plumwood look wonderful. Okay, I have some thinking to do here.
Thanks for the input.
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Carol,

Wow the mails are running thick and fast on this thread.

After reading your latest mail I now understand your travel style.

With that said please go take a look at Klein OliphantsHoek (KoH) http://www.kleinoliphantshoek.com/English/homepage.htm

DONT miss out on the restaurant and menu pages. Ingrid and Camil must be two of the most accomplished accommodation as well as dinner hosts in South Africa. The accommodation at KoH is above average but the food, oh the wonderful food, makes KoH one of the top 5 restaurants in the country. What is more is the whole experience of eating at KoH is so unique. While Ingrid takes you on a wine adventure through the seven course meal Camil pepares all the meals in the kitchen on a wood fire stove. As guests you will be invited into the kitchen so as to watch Camil preparing your food. Fantastic experience. The accommodation costs at KoH are average however the meal is relatively expensive. With that said the meal is worth every penny. If you are looking for a cuisine type expereince that you simply wont forget then choose to stay at Klein OliphantsHoek. Btw one can eat at Klein OlifantsHoek if you stay in other parts of town however Ingrid and Camil cater for their house guests first and if there is space over in the small restauarnt then they will acommodate "outsiders". Please remember that if you want to go down this route that you have to book well in advance. Koh is still a relatively unknown hidden secret amongst locals however it is slowly but surely growing in stature amongst Capetonians. Furthermore Klein OlifantsHoek is well located in the centre of Franschhoek

I have dined at Klein OliphantsHoek on numerous occasions and each one of the evenings just surpasses the other in class. As far a I am concerned this venue has to be highly recommended if you are on a wine and food adventure and are prepared to spend a little bit extra for a top class experience.

Enjoy if you stay at this venue.

Jul 12th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Selwyn, stop that, you're making me HUNGRY to come back and we're still paying off the last trip!
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Selwyn, I'm in love! That place sounds awsome - right up my alley. My husband and I both love to cook and sometimes cooking together (and dancing while we're cooking) has been some of our best fun. (My hubby is South African, by the way).
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Carol,

Heavens I cant keep up with the pace of this thread.

If you are travelling in October - Nov then you could well stay at Plumwood and dine at Klein OlifantsHoek as you could walk from the one venue to the other. Walking alone on the streets of Franschhoek at 1 o clock in the morning will not present you with a problem at all safety wise.

Why I say the above is possible is because towards the latter part of October I highly doubt if guesthouses will be fully booked meaning that KoH would have space in its restaurant HOWEVER you MUST MUST book in advance.

Also be aware that KoH do not cater on every night of the week during the off season and you will have to enquire whether they will be catering on the night that you are in Franschhoek.

Enjoy.

Jul 12th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Fast and furious, eh, Selwyn.
I'll support Selwyn in that we felt absolutely utterly safe walking the streets of Franschhoek back to Plumwood Inn at night.
That said the accommodation at KOH looks wonderful too and the rooms a little larger.
The thing about the winelands is that you won't be disappointed with your choice whichever of the many options you choose!
Happy decision making!

Jul 12th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Glad to hear Franschhoek is safe at night. There are few undesirables hanging around when we were there in 2000. Felt totally safe in Paarl and Stellenbosch.
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Hi cjstobbs, this might come a bit late to help you but you might try out Alluvia. It's a new estate just outside Stellenbosch in the Banhoek valley. Truly upmarket accommodation and the well know Le Pommier restaurant is on the estate. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the Url here but you should be able to Google their website by searching for Alluvia.
Jul 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM

If you want to visit a first-class, drop-dead gorgeous winery, do visit L'Ormarins just outside of Franschhoek. Take a picnic lunch (perhaps from Delicious, in town) with you, as they don't serve food there but will let you eat on their lovely patio/pool area.
Jul 13th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Hate to blow Salmo's bubble but I have eaten at Le Pommier as well as at their so called "sister" restaurant Zorgvliet and even though they offer good food when it comes to food in the Franschhoek region nothing even gets close to Kleinoliphantshoek. Btw the region in which Alluvia is situated does not qualfy as Frannschhoek in that it is in the Stellenbosch region.

Le Pommier is in a great setting with very average food. Zorgvliet is more of an upclass type restaurant (very classy) however when I and two other tourguides had an "unannounced as a tourguide" lunch at the venue we unanimously declared it as a no great shakes restaurant other than to the loss of big moneys from our pockets; hence we simply dont return. Sorry but this board is made for honest opinions and you are getting a very honest one from me however I must stress that this is A PERSONAL OPINION.

In terms of accommodation I cannot comment as I have not stayed at the venue.

Just my twopence worth.

Search this Thread