Search

Last minute help needed -Baggage rules in Zambia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Lin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute help needed -Baggage rules in Zambia

I can't believe I'm struggling again with this weight limit - thought I had it all down pat after last year's trip to Botswana! But I'm still panicking about what to pack - I leave Thursday CAN'T WAIT! Anyway here's my question. My instructions from my travel agent (which I just noticed) state that 'wheeled baggage is not allowed on light charter aircraft". Now, I have a light duffel bag which I took to Botswana with no problem on Sefofane last summer. It doesn't have the heavy frame but it does have wheels at one end; I pull it by the fabric handle at the other end. Does anyone know whether light aircraft in Zimbabwe and Zambia have different luggage rules than Botswana?????
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Lin, who are your flying with in Zambia? My experience is with Zambia Airways and Airwaves...there is one other charter company I've used, but I can't remember the name. But in any case, as I read your quote it says "will not be allowed on light charter aircraft"-- to me, that says not as a carryon. But they should be able to put it underneath or in back...expecially if it is not a fully framed/stiff bag. Good grief, I saw people bringing all sorts of hardsided stuff in the last 3 years, and hardsided cases with wheels too. Despite the injunctions to not bring these. They always seemed to find a place for them. As long as you are under the weight limit, I don't think it will be a problem, as long as you are not trying to bring it on the plane. There really is no room for carryons larger than a small backpack.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Lin - Off topic, but you seem to love southern Africa. Have you ever been to East Africa? Just curious; I'm still unsure of where to go next year, although as I've said in previous threads, I'm leaning toward South. Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Lin
Original Poster

Hi Tashak, thank you, yes I'm using Zambia Airways and the rule according to my documentation is that the wheeled bags are not allowed, period. But from what you say, I think I'll be OK because my bag is not stiff with a frame. The other thing I'm being told is that unlike Botswana, the Zim/Zambian light aircraft definitely absolutely include your carryons in the weight limit. In Botswana my backpack was never weighed. I'm in a frenzy because my cameras weigh 9 pounds so I can only bring 17 pounds in baggage!!! NO I can't do it...........but I have to
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Lin
Original Poster

Hi cooncat, well, I have been to Kenya and Mombasa years ago. My heart belongs to southern Africa though. Having said that, I'm thinking that after my last 3 trips to South Africa, Botswana, and now Zim/Zam, I might like to go back to the Serengeti and see the sights in Tanzania in spite of the fact these areas host many more tourists and one must accept that game sightings are mainly shared. Kenya is lovely with the backdrop of Kilimanjaro. It has however been in 'business' for much longer and is much more 'civilized'. Yet if this is your first trip to Africa you simply cannot go wrong. And encounters with the Masai tribespeople although a bit touristy are worthwhile and memorable. Enjoy your dreams and your planning phase!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Where are you flying (on Zambian Airways)?