Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dreaming: If money and time were no object what woud your dream Africa trip be?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Kavey

Just dreaming a lunch hour away here so thought I would askBR><BR>If money and time were no object what woud your dream Africa trip be?<BR><BR>What countries? When in the year? How long a trip? Which accommodation? Who would you go with? What would your main focus be? <BR><BR>I am currently planning our 2004 trip back to Namibia and Botswana, and that's going to be excellent - but even that isn't my lottery win dream trip!<BR><BR>On that trip we're spending 3 nights in Linyanti area, 9 nights in the Delta area, 4 nights in the Magkadigkadi Plains before 1 night in Windhoek and 3 in Wolwedans. If all goes to plan we'll be renewing our wedding vows in Wolwedans and exchanging new wedding bands (one lost other too small). But we haven't time or money to include the 2 or 3 other camps in Delta that I am tempted by, a fly in safari to Skeleton Coast, a visit to the Himba people and a return to Damaraland.<BR><BR>If I were really going for it I would think long and hard about a really long trip including a lot of time in South Africa, returns to Botswana and Namibia, time in Zambia and Milawi, and also East Africa too. In an ideal world I could split these into 4 or 5 trips but do them only a couple months apart - time enough to come home, see family and friends, do the London thing (I am a Londoner born and bred) and prepare for the next one.<BR><BR>Of course if I really did have unlimited money I'd also fit in trips to all sorts of other destinations around the world - back to South and North America, Russia and parts of Europe and first time trips to other parts of Europe, and most of the Far East, and maybe even a couple stops in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>But mainly I am interested in your Africa dreams...<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 04:04 AM
kavey

No one want to dream with me?<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:15 AM
CJ

In this dream world of money and time being no object - I would just pack a bag and move to somewhere in southern Africa. Then would take trips to all of the places you mentioned! <BR>I can't wait to go back and know that the two weeks that I can take off from work will only allow me to see a small portion of what I want to see.<BR>As far as timing - we went in August and the weather/lack of bugs was nice. Cold in mornings (frost two mornings) but warm during daytime. I'm not sure what it's like in their summer.<BR>You've already seen alot of Africa - what was your favorite spot?<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:36 AM
kavey

Hi CJ<BR>I've been to Kenya and Tanzania once - several years ago, and then to Namibia and Botswana last year.<BR>Also visited Morocco some years ago.<BR>I enjoyed East Africa to but even back then, in the 80s, visitor numbers were high and I didn't get the sense of remoteness I felt in Namibia and Botswana.<BR>In Namibia I loved the landscapes and the wonderful feeling of remoteness in some areas. Driving around Wolwedans/ NamibRand Reserve was a unique experience - not full on game viewing - though we did see some, but a complete experience taking in scenery, fauna and flora. It was just beautiful. <BR>Botswana's Okavango Delta just blew me away - and I hope that we (humans) can achieve a way to sustain and protect this resource.<BR>As for moving out there, I don't know! I'd think about moving down to South Africa for a couple of years but not permanently. <BR>Firstly, I couldnt be so far from family and friends on a long term basis, and secondly, I think, much as I adore Africa I also like to travel around the rest of the world and London's a great base for that.<BR><BR>Thanks for playing!<BR>Kavey

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:59 AM
cj

We are dreaming after all - I wouldn't move there forever - just long enough to see everything there is to see. I've just read Osa Johnson &quot;I Married Adventure&quot; and Martin Johnson &quot;Safari&quot;. What a dream life they had! Of course it was back in the early 1910/1920's. <BR>My sister and I are planning a trip to Italy for 2004 so I do agree with you that there are many many places to see. My brother had brain cancer 5 years ago (at 36 years old) and I decided we don't necessarily have a &quot;lifetime&quot; left to live so I made a list of things I want to do. I've scratched off several things - big and small - but have many more to get done!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:07 AM
kavey

I am sorry to hear about your brother. We recently had similarly bad news about the health of someone very important to us and you're quite right about living the dreams now as much as possible. We still save for the future but we do live in the now.<BR>Kavey

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
CJ

Kavey - I neglected to say that my brother just celebrated his 5th year cancer free but he did have 2 brain surgeries to remove all the tumor and the &quot;survival rate&quot; on the first was 60/40. He has made a full recovery and although he has some short term memory loss, his doctor doesn't want him to scuba dive, and his hair hasn't grown back, just the threat of his death was enough to change how I looked at things. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and hopeful that God sends another miracle like He did with my brother.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:15 PM
kavey

What wonderful news! Has he been to Africa with you yet?<BR>I hope so too, thank you so much. It's my number one wish and I am still hoping for the genie in the lamp to grant it.<BR>Kavey<BR><BR>Are we the only dreamers?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Judge

I would go back to Aldabra in a heartbeat ... and then combine it with a couple of weeks on Reunion where I've never been before. Then 2 weeks on safari on the mainland, I don't care where. Finally, a couple of weeks in Seychelles to decompress from it all. Ahhhhhhh.........

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Joey

Kavey:<BR>My wife and I haven't been to too many places, so my dreaming is based largely on second hand knowledge.<BR>We would like to go to China, Japan, Australia, and travel throughout Europe.<BR>Concerning Africa, we went to Zimbabwe last month, and despite the troubles there, we really enjoyed it. In fact, I was watching a TV program last night, and they were on location in Zimbabwe. They mentioned that once you've been to the continent, it lives in your soul, and you can't wait to get back. That is the case with us.<BR>In early May, we are going to Botswana on safari. I must admit that your posts have influenced this decision to a degree. I am so excited!!! I think if money and time were no object, I would like to spend more time at our camps, include a few more, and then go to Namibia, and Cape Town.<BR>Joey

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Susan

Funny you should ask ... I just purchased several Powerball lottery tickets for Saturday night's drawing - an estimated $215 million. Maybe I will be the lucky winner, and if so, my first phone call will be to British Airways and fly first class from Boston to Nairobi. Maybe a pit stop in London, one of my favorite cities in the world, for a few days ... but on to Africa. I would make several stops in Kenya, notably the Mara, Meru, Amboseli, Tsavo and then on to Tanzania, where I would revisit Tarangire and Selous. While in that general area, I would go to Ruaha for a while. Would need to rest up a bit, so I would head to Memba Island, or maybe Mafia Island, for a while before leaving for Mozambique, where a friend of mine just went and said it was delightful. A long stop in Botswana, with mandatory stays in Chobe, the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, the Moremi Game Reserve and the O-Delta. Then there is Namibia, a must. Of course, this would all take a few years to do .... ah, dream on!!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
kavey

Oooh these all sound great and Joey I'm glad you'll be visiting Botswana!<BR>Susan - when you stop in London after your amazing lotto win don't forget to email me so we can meet up and say hello!!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 07:41 AM
billyjeff

here is our itinerary for july<BR>Capetown at Cape Grace for four nights<BR>Singita for four nights<BR>Phinda for two nights<BR>Saxon in J-burg for one night<BR>Xigera - two nights<BR>Mombo - three nights <BR><BR>Three couples are traveling togeother and we will be in Little Mombo together. We put this trip together last January and it seemed that July 2002 was so far off. Now it is just around the corner and we are all very excited.<BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 10:51 AM
Susan

Shoot Kavey ... you would probably end up coming with me since my husband would prefer a world tour of golf courses, instead of traveling around Africa. Keep your fingers crossed that I win tonight's drawing, and if so, I will touch base with you!!!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:06 PM
YON

I need rezervve a single room of 01/05/03-01/10/03

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 04:31 PM
Sara

Hello All!<BR><BR>I have been following all your posts for six months and are leaving Feb. 4th - March 6th for the following: I know that the season is wrong, but we here in the US need to escape the cold.<BR><BR>Jo'Burg - Westcliff Hotel - 2 nights<BR>Botswana - 6 nights, The Orient Express Group, divided betweeen the two camps.<BR>The River Club in Zambia for 3 nights.<BR>Singita - 3 nights<BR>And down to Capetown - 3 nights at The Nellie, then rental car and off on our own for the rest of the time. Winelands and Garden Route without reservations! We have been told we are mad because of the cricket matches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone stayed with Orient Express in Botswana?<BR><BR>Happy Holidays to All!<BR><BR>Sara

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
kavey

All your trips sounds fabulous.<BR>I am not going to be back to Africa till June 2004 so it's still a long way off yet.<BR>Hence all the dreaming!<BR

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:08 AM
Celia

Joey, &quot;it lives in your soul&quot; is true!! I've always explained our return trips to Africa by saying you get a &quot;bug bite&quot; that makes you go back, but I like the above expression much better!<BR><BR>I can't really think about a dream Africa trip, because I'm in the early stages of planning our real trip to Namibia and South Africa this coming May. But I can say for sure that if money were no object, I'd fly in a first class seat!

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:28 AM
cj

&quot;once you've been to the continent, it lives in your soul, and you can't wait to get back&quot;<BR>That is so true- I don't think two days can go by that I'm not thinking of Africa!

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
kavey

In October I posted this message, I'd like to copy it here for you again.<BR>---------------------------------------<BR><BR>A fellow Africa Fodorite sent me the following quote in an email.<BR><BR>I would like to share it with you all...<BR><BR>Kavey<BR><BR><BR><BR>&quot;I believe there is no sickness of the heart too great it cannot be cured by a dose of Africa. Families must go there to learn why they belong together on this earth, adolescents to discover humility, lovers to plumb old but untried wells of passion, honeymooners to seal marriages with a shared sense of bafflement, those shopworn with life to find a tonic for futility, the aged to recognize a symmetry to twilight.<BR><BR>I know this all sounds a bit much, but if I have ever seen magic, it has been in Africa.&quot; <BR><BR>John Heminway, African Journeys <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -