Great Resource for Africa Photogs

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Resource for Africa Photogs

If you haven't visited Andy Biggs new website, HTTP://andybiggs.com be sure to check it out. Anyone planning a safari with point and shoot or an SLR can pick up valuable and practical information. Also, I have learned a great deal about photographic composition from visiting this site. Provides a whole new way of looking at africa, the animals and the ecosysystem. Andy dosen't do self promotion, I think new Forum participants might be unaware of the wonderful resource he provides. The new website is awesome. Our safari to South Africa (Mala Mala) and several camps in Botswana is scheduled for the end of August. I am still processing images from our Tanzania trip last February/March. Why am I looking at other peoples images and reading Fodor's Forums? Regards-Chuck
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM
sniktawk

"Andy does not do self promotion"

He does not need it when people advertise him reglarly on this forum.

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

So good to hear from you sniktawk
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:53 AM
sniktawk

You are most welcome

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM

I agree with cheers for Andy Bigg's site. He was most generous with advice for the right backpack camera bag for my last safari. I was so surprised to have his input, given that I am a neophyte! www.pbase.com/pattyroth
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:07 AM
skimmer

Chuck,

I don't see the need to post this thread.

It smells like ...

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Johan,
I'll reply to your comment because I think you are a genuine kind of guy and a very good photographer. I posted this note becuase I noticed Andy's new website and frankly I get tired seeing the same old photography questions asked by new safari travelers. Firstly, the better photographers reply less often as the same questions are repeatedly asked. Second, the search engine on Fodor's smells (your words). I hope you don't take this as a slight to your own work which I admire and from which I have also learned much. Looking forward to more of your stuff.
Cheers-Chuck
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
lbj

To be honest, I don't really see the website covers a lot of the questions asked, baring that on equipment. Which ultimately, is down more financial circumstance than anything else.

Have a browse through this blog, some good basic tips that would help a photographer far more.

http://photo-africa.blogspot.com/

f.e Info on composition rather than what gear to take!

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM
sniktawk

Safarichuck

Does that mean you think I am a "genuine kind of guy" as well?

Patty Roth

What backpack did you get?

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Sniktawk,
Of course not, Johan only. I have posted my opinon of you elsewhere on this Forum, remember Ever think of reinventing yourself with a new name, "snidetalk" comes to mind or perhaps Cary 666 and coming back with a new attitude.
Cheers-Chuck

Johan,
What I like about Andy's website is his use of black and white. It is making me look at B&W all over again. I used B&W 40 years ago when there was no other practical choice. I enjoyed it and always wondered what some of my work would look like if not in color. Recently, I began to work of just that and try and duplicated in photoshop some of the techniques I used in a wet darkroom. B&W images can be much more powerful when the distracting color is removed. I have found that it's not a simple process to remove that color. In order to duplicate the quality of a wet B&W image a lot more is involved. In the old days we "burned in", "dodged", and "even hand massaged" certain areas to bring out the blacks without overdoing contrast. I still haven't mastered it so I keep going to those who have. Look at Andy's two lion cubs. Even though I normally like images with more landscape showing, that is a wonderful image. I'll bet that in color it would not be nearly as powerful.

ibj, You make a good point but buried within the Blog are some very important tips. Had I thought about it before I would now have some wonderful additions to my Africa Library...and by the way, I have been shooting for over 50 years and as a retire University Professor of Medicine, I used photography extensively in my research. I don't really need technical tips, I need help from good wildlife photographers. Any of the newer generation SLR's and their lenses are capable of awesome results. I am frequently asked what kind of camera to buy or do I need this lens or that. Before I anser this question I usually explain the need for good light, a steady hand (or beanbag), and composition. The quickest way of learning good compostion is to review images by those whose images appeal most to you. Too many Africa photographers shoot portraits, which while technically acceptable are boreing. For another very good africa photographer, go to FM forums and check out the work of Sue McConnell on the Nature and Wildlife forum. She is also and academic biologist, Stanford, and she understands the importance of transfering a feeling of the ecosystem to the viewer.
Regards-Chuck

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Chuck. Very much appreciated.

I just launched a new web site a few days ago, and I haven't had a chance to migrate my old Articles section over. I am just thinking of integrating the content into my blog, as it is much easier to do at this time.

I agree about composition writings, and I will be posting more writings dedicated to the creative side of photography, as opposed to gear type conversation. Although I don't like to talk too much about gear, inevitably it comes up. I often get emails inquiring about photographic safaris, whether mine or not, and near the end of the emails there is always a question about what lens to take.

And Ken / Sniktawk, no need to be a downer.

I agree that the Photo-Africa blog is a great resource. Definitely a good read!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
sniktawk

I would prefer to be snide rather than claim to be what I am not.

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM

there is a difference between advice and self promotion.. andy..

see the 99 + responses you generated. some new people actually would like honest advice.. imo

ps.. wanna take another survey.. so obvious.. again imo.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM
sniktawk

Realoc

Thanks for that, IMHO old people still need some advice as well.

Also IMHO if you wish to learn to take better photos join a critical forum such as

www.birdphotograsphers.net

This is not just birds and you get good criticism and sound advice of actual not theortical situations.
You can also get to see some of the greatest bird photography ever.

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 02:23 AM

travel agents.. think about it bird watcher.. imo
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

I have no idea what the last four posts are really about but I really wish sniktawk would follow through on his (Ken) threat to quit the Forum. Ken, you have a problem and it's isn't one that can be solved over the internet. Why you bother to even get involved in any of these threads deserves some attention. Ken a, are you always like this or just when you forget your meds?
Cheers-Chuck
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 04:02 AM
sniktawk

SafariChuck

It is not my fault that you do not understand the posts, I am a little puzzled by the last one.

It seems that you do not like people having a different opinion to yours, this is not my fault either.

I am merely trying to offer people alternatives, and I actualy have no idea why you started this thread in the first place.

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Man, this forum has gotten to a point where there are too many under the table jabs and it is really too bad. Somehow I am accused of not giving good advice when I didn't even start this thread. Chuck, the nice guy in the room, was kind of enough to say something nice about my web site.

Some people obviously have brain damage and have way too much hatred. You guys need professional help. Seriously.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM

that pretty much says it all chuck..
gl..
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:14 AM

go get another pumper.. and then think? travel agents?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -