Lady Egypt Tour Guides

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Lady Egypt Tour Guides

Hi...I'm going to travel to Egypt this fall, and have booked my tour with Lady Egypt, largely due to the wonderful recommendations on this forum. This will be my second tour to Egypt, having previously travelled with a tour group. Could you shed some light on the guides you had - who was your favorite, etc. I am a female and will be traveling alone, so was wondering if it might be best to request female guides. I'm a huge ancient Egyptian history lover, so am looking forward to touring with Egyptologists.

Thank you for any advice and recommendations you can offer...
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM

We thought our guide was great - and we only had one. His name is Mahmoud, I don't know his last name, but he's from Aswan. He traveled with us in Cairo, then to Aswan and Luxor. We were his last group before he took a break for Ramadan (this was 2008). You can ask our agent, Mohamed Kamel, who our guide was. Send me an email at [email protected], and I'll send you the information, along with a picture of him. He is very very knowledgeable, and also young and pretty hip -- a really nice guy, excellent excellent English. We just really liked him.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Hi Gettysburg, I too am travelling with an Egyptologist (guide) and driver arranged through Amanda of Lady Egypt.

I was concerned about the fact I might not like a particular guide and asked Amanda if I could change mid holiday. She said I could most certainly and she also said that being a guide is considered a fabulous job and privilidge so guides really do their very best for you.

Maybe also ask about changing guides if not happy, just so she is aware of your worries. Amanda wasn't born in Egypt, she is a New Zealander who moved to Egypt so she probably would fully understand your concerns. From what amanda tells me, she loved it in Egypt and didn't come home. I think she married an Egyptian.

When are you going to Egypt?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 03:35 PM
P_M

Hello getty, I am also a female who traveled alone with Lady Egypt. I think my guide was named Muhammed, but that name is so common in Egypt it's really no help w/o the last name which I do not recall. I don't think it would be any better or worse to use a female guide. In either case your guide will look after you and it was my experience that all guides with Lady Egypt were great.

BTW, based on your screen name, I think maybe we were born in the same year. ;-)
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advise and assistance everyone. Although I feel certain the male guides would be very professional, there was also a question of traveling alone in a country whose culture is so different than the U.S. And thank you Miss Green for letting me know that we do have the option of requesting another guide. I'm going to Egypt the last of September and can't wait! When are you going? I can understand how someone can just fall in love with Egypt and want to stay. The people are the nicest of any country I've ever traveled too. I think you will love it too!

And thank you sf7307 for your recommendation. I will send an e-mail to you. I believe I've read about Mahmoud in prior postings, and he was recommended.

P_M, I wish I could say I was born in '63, but unfortunately, have to admit I was born a few years earlier, in '57. The '63 refers to the year the Battle of Gettysburg occurred during the American Civil War (1863). In addition to loving Egypt, I'm a major Civil War buff! ) Thank you for sharing your guide experience with me. I'm sure everything will be fine...) Can't wait!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM

<<BTW, based on your screen name, I think maybe we were born in the same year.>>

P_M - I hate you!

gettysburg - you and my DH! All his passwords are based on Civil War generals! He grew up in PA - not too far from Gettysburg.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM

I arrive in Cairo on 9th September 2010. I head to Jordan on 24th September, return to Cairo on 30th September and depart for Kuala Lumpur on 2nd October. Sept can't come fast enough!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

"gettysburg - you and my DH! All his passwords are based on Civil War generals!"

Grcxx3, mine too! I'm from Illinois, but usually visit Gettysburg every one to two years - my favorite place in the whole world. Growing up near Gettysburg, I imagine loving Civil War history is probably "in the blood" )

I know what you mean, MissGreen - "Sept. can't come fast enough!" I feel the same way! I will land in Cairo on Sept. 30th, but will travel on to Luxor, Aswan, and Abu Simbel. Is this your first trip to Egypt? You're going to have such a wonderful time!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:18 AM

It is my first trip. What started out as just a 2 week holiday is now a 5 week "extravaganza"!!!

I keep buying clothes to take, knowing full well that just before the trip I will buy a whole new set again!!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:57 PM
P_M

Why do you hate me G? I'm a lot older then you, as I was born in 1863. Surely you didn't think I meant 1963.

And even at age 146 Egyptian men were hitting on me.

getty, that's another thing. You will get attention from Egyptian men, even if you are over 100 years old like me. I wouldn't be worried about getting hit on by a male guide, as they are all very professional and respectful. I'm talking about men you meet in public. They will notice you but they are harmless and I never felt threatened. I found it rather amusing. Please do not let that worry you or affect your enjoyment of your trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:08 PM

You know I'm only kidding P_M!!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:51 PM

getty-we arrive in Cairo on the 29th of Sept-heading to Aswan on Oct 1st. Miss Green & I both at Marriott on Sept 30th-trying to meet for a drink-will you be spending night in Cairo? OUr guide is Ahmed-but going through LE. Can't wait till Sept also-Chris
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:48 AM
P_M

Of course I know, G. And you know I'm kidding about 18f3.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
P_M

That's 1863.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

I know what you mean, Miss Green. That's part of the fun - buying new clothes for the trip, isn't it! I would suggest, too, when you travel to the desert areas and southern Egypt, to take a long sleeved top or shirt with you as the sun can be brutal and the wind blowing the sand around can be uncomfortable.

P_M, your comment about being hit on brought back fun memories of my trip! When I was in Cairo, I was proprosed to twice. One man asked me to be his 4th wife, and I was thinking he must have been married 3 times before, but then he showed me a photo of himself, AND the other wives! I guess he had his own little harem. LOL! Like you, though, I never felt uncomfortable or threatened, and know it's also a method they use to get your attention to buy something from them. But I did tell my single girlfriends back home that if they're looking for husbands, just go to Egypt!

BeniciaChris, I will arrive in Cairo on the 30th, and am staying at the Oasis. I'm travelling to Aswan on the night train from Cairo on Oct. 2nd. I'd love to meet you both. I don't know who my guide will be in Cairo, but I believe I may be having the same guide as you in Aswan. Are you going to Luxor too? This time I'm planning to go on a hot air balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings, which I've read is an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Did you and Miss Green know that you can add excursions that may not be listed on Lady Egypt's website? I'd be glad to provide more information to you if you'd like.

You will have such a wonderful time!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM

getty-We will be in Aswan Oct 1 & Oct 2. Then going to Abu Simbel for 1 night-back to Aswan Oct 4 before our Nile Cruise. Movenpick in Aswan & Seti in Abu Simbel.
I have been making payments to Lady Egypt but my main guide is Ahmed. After cruise we are going to Heraghada for a week-have a timeshre there.
My husband has had severe back issues-nerve damage in his legs. he gets his 3rd epideral next wek & sees a surgeon later on this month. I am a nervous wreck. Chris
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Chris...I'll be in Aswan on Oct. 3rd, and fly to Abu Simbel on the 4th, and then travel to Luxor the evening of the 4th. I'm staying at the Pyramisa Isis Island in Aswan. I believe my guide in Aswan may also be Ahmed. I wish you and your husband all the best, and hope he will recover from his surgery in good order, and both of you will enjoy a wonderful vacation...
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM

gettsburg63, unlrelated to the topic of this thread, we stayed at the Pyramisa Isis Island in Aswan in summer '08. The rooms are large although fairly plain. Just writing to recommend that you ask for a Nile view room. The views are gorgeous, as are the grounds. Very nice pool, too.

I have no idea is this will work, but here's a link to a picture of the view from our room:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the recommendation and gorgeous photo! I will definitely request a Nile view room. I looked at photos on the Internet, and it looks like a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location.

Thank you again...wish I was boarding my plane tomorrow! )