Search

Kwa Zulu Natal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kwa Zulu Natal

Hi,<BR><BR>This is my first posting here, but have been reading this board for a couple of months now and think it is full of fantastic and generous tips.<BR><BR>My Husband, son (10 years old) and I are going to South Africa in April starting in Cape Town for 6 nights, Hluhluwe 3 nights, Umhlanga 7 nights and Drakensberg 4 nights. We have a good idea on things to do in Cape Town but would appreciate any tips on which Vinyards are suitable for days trips with a 10 year old (plus good restaurant). We have organised a rental car for the whole trip so transport is no problem.<BR><BR>Durban is a stumbling block for us at the moment. Can anyone recommend places to see in this area that are not tacky or plainly setup for tourists. Traditional and historic would be more suited to us. I have read about Oribi Gorge, Valley of a Thousand Hills, Shaka Land etc - are any of these worth a visit.<BR><BR>Any restaurant recommendations in CT and Durban would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any replies.<BR><BR>Kind Regards<BR>Holly
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Hi there<BR>I can't help with Durban I'm afraid, but as for vineyards near Capetown, we loved visiting Vergelegen (www.vergelegen.co.za) in Somerset West last year. There was a lovely patio restaurant and beautiful gardens, and the wines weren't half bad either
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:31 AM

We have been to the Sani Pass in the south of the Drakensberg which is the entrance to Lesotho from the east. Search &quot;Sani Pass&quot; in Google for some websites. (This would be doable from Umhlanga). We also enjoyed a concert by the Drakensberg Boys Choir on a Wednesday - see www.dbchoir.co.za.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:17 AM

My geographical knowledge is poor but I saw a holiday programme on TV a few months ago that featured a place called Rocktail Bay - that looked like an amazing experience and I think kids would like it too.<BR><BR>The camp is run by Wilderness Safaris, an operator both myself and my parents have had great experiences with in Botswana and Namibia, though we've not been to South Africa.<BR><BR>Anyway, your trip sounds great! Good luck!<BR><BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:18 AM
rhtt

From two trips in the very area you're visitng, may I suggest you include Pinda Reserve, specifically Forect Lodge. For the absolute best game viewing in the entire Natal.<BR><BR>In the Hluhluwe game area, we found that from the roads we were quite far away to see the animals in many instances.<BR><BR>One other idea: try always to hire a ranger to guide you. This will add to your enjoyment and knowledge. Looking by oneself, without an expert, is a waste of time.<BR><BR>While in CT, a day down at the Cpe will be well wortht the drive - and it's easily done in one day.

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies, such good ideas in such a short time.<BR><BR>I shall look these places up on the internet and go from there.<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR>Holly
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:44 AM
rhtt

Correction&quot; Phinda - Forest Lodge, about 45 minutes drive north of Hluhluwe, along the N2.

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:07 AM

I've read about a lovely looking place called Isandlwana Lodge in northern KZN which has a resident expert on the Anglo Zulu and Anglo Boer wars. Very interesting stuff:<BR>www.isandlwana.co.za<BR>A visit to the Natal Shark Board in Durban is also very interesting: I'll see if I can track down a web address for you.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM

You have got to spend some time in the Drakensberg Mountains. Have a look at www.drakensberg-tourism.com for more details