Second Game Reserve

Feb 10th, 2003, 07:23 AM
JKG
Original Poster

Second Game Reserve

My fiancee and I will honeymoon in SA the first two weeks of September 2003. Our itinerary is nearly set (Capetown, Winelands, Garden Route, Singita or Londolozi). We have an extra three days that we would like to play with. One possibility is to lengthen our tour of the Garden Route. Another is to do a second private game lodge. A third is . . . well, that's why I write.

With respect to the second private game lodge, we are looking for one that is less expensive than Singita/Londolozi and that is different in terms of activities, terrain, or animals. Phinda and Garonga are examples we have been given. But I look forward to any suggestions.

Regards.
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Hi!

We have decided to go to Botswana on safari, but we were also given Garonga as an option when we were thinking about South Africa.

Have you checked the website for it? It seems nice, but also kind of new age. They seemed to be very health oriented with vegetarian cuisine.

That turned me off, because it seemed to focus mostly on being a "spa" with yoga, etc.

Just thought I'd warn you about that.

Ingrid
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Lolita

Consider Phinda Reserve in the Natal area of SA - and specifically Forest Lodge at Phinda. A sand forest with seven types of topography - excellent rangers - all the animals - and wonderful bird sightings. Have spent two lovely vacations at Phinda - and it just class all the way. Worth the price!

Feb 13th, 2003, 11:18 AM

No one on this board ever mentions my favorite place, Jaci"s Camp in Madikwe on the Botswanan border. The price is right, the lodge fantastic, and the game to die for. It is within a reasonable drive of Joberg or a charter flight. (I enjoyed the drive) for those interested in wild dogs, it is the one place in the world now where you can guarantee sightings, since the Mombo pack has died of rabies. I have been there twice, and considering that the animals are highly endangered, seen them twice in great numbers, including puppies. Except for leopards, which are there but hard to find, you have all the game and don't have to take those pesky malaria pills. the one negative is it is really cold at night, being near the Kalahari. They have a web site.

Kim
Feb 21st, 2003, 12:09 AM

Hi JKG

If you have not included Plettenberg Bay on your itinerary, I would highly recomment the romantic Tsala Treetop Lodge.
If you want bush in the same area I would recommend Leopard Hills in the Sabi Game Reserve (only a land rover transfer away).
www.lbcl.co.uk

Search this Thread