killing time in DAR?

Nov 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

killing time in DAR?

hi all,

i am getting ready to book our flights for our honeymoon next july. We are flying into JRO and out of DAR, most likely.

The thing is, we'll be coming to DAR from Zanzibar, and the last flight out is at around 5:30pm i think. And our flight (if we go with KLM) to NYC from DAR wouldn't leave until 11:05pm.

Is there anything we can do in the DAR airport (or in Dar es Salaam itself, i guess?) to prevent us from going stir-crazy for 5+ hours?

Many thanks!

Nov 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I'm having deja vu
Nov 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

i'm sorry, did someone already answer this question? I looked back through posts and didn't see anything about this specifically...apologies if i overlooked - if it was already answered i'd love it if someone could post a link?

thanks!
Nov 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM
bat

morgiane:
Some folks go to a hotel and have dinner there before going back for the international flight. (We paid for a day room at the Holiday Inn so that we could shower and repack from our last minute shopping in Stonetown on the way out of Zanzibar. But we could have given our luggage to the bell captain for storage during dinner.) It wasn't very "african" but it worked for us in terms of cutting down on the airport time. There would be other hotel choices--there is a kempinski for example.

Patty asked some questions about what to do in Dar a few months back but I could not find that cite for you (and I think she would have been there earlier in the day.) Someone recently asked about whether they should overnight in Dar--not how to fill the hours between the 2 flights.
Nov 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much bat! that's very helpful.
Nov 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM

I was just joking...I am planning a trip now and asking myself the very same question!!
Nov 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Here's my "what to do in Dar?" thread that bat mentioned. However, I was looking for day time suggestions so I don't know how helpful it is http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34804054
Nov 21st, 2006, 03:48 PM

The airport itself is a miserable place. Last July we fly from Zanibar and were connecting thru to Cape Town. We decide to catch an early flight from Zanibar because we figured there would be more to do at DAR. We discovered that we had to retrieve your bags and then actually go outside and wait for re-entry into the airport. They wouldn't allow us back in until one hour before our flight. We ended up sitting under the concrete awnings, on crowded concrete benchs, in the heat, with our lugguge for over three hours. There is nothing to do right at the airport. Try and find someplace to go.
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM

Morgiane,
We were in exactly your situation two weeks ago. We went into Dar to the Holiday Inn and had a fine, but (yes bat), fairly un-African, time there. There is a pleasant garden by a pool to sit in and the food is OK. The rush-hour traffic into town was busy and it took longer than we thought but the journey back to the airport was much quicker. We got back there at perhaps 9.45-10 and check-in for KLM was in full-swing. It was efficiently done and we were quickly into the Departure Lounge. Incidentally, the shops in the Departure Lounge here were good for souvenirs in general and reasonably- priced.
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks all!

jenack, sorry if i misunderstood you - i thought maybe i'd committed a message board faux pas & missed a message about this already.

wistman, did you do the day room at holiday inn like bat? or just had dinner there?

bat, how did you book a day room? was it through your safari op or did you call the hotel? i looked online & it didn't seem like you could book for less than one night (wanted to check prices).

i am thinking we will do the holiday inn thing, thanks so much for the tips!

i have another question though, that this is leading me to - I was just about to buy my tix when i looked at the return flight (DAR-JFK) & I guess the AMS-JFK leg got moved up 2 hours so there is only about an hour, or hour & quarter between the flights...is this cutting it too close? if i miss that connection the next flight to JFK is hours later. Do you think I should fly into Newark instead, which has just over 2 hours between flights??

Any input is helpful, I admit I have very little experience with multiple stop trips...

Thank you!
Nov 29th, 2006, 08:03 AM

morgiane

We didn't bother with a day room because the time didn't seem to warrant it. The Holiday Inn was a relaxing place to spend time, with good 'facilities' and as I said - a nice garden. But in fairness we were just flying back to the UK overnight and so we didn't need too much rest.

I'm not an expert on transfer times - suggest you contact your carrier for advice. AMS is a big airport.
Nov 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM
bat

morgiane:
We booked on the spur of the moment through the company that provided our transfer from our hotel on Zanzibar. I am sorry that I do not recall the name. [that transfer had been arranged by our travel company ATR.]

I agree with Wistman that the amount of time did not warrant the day room. We had gotten drenched from the humidity running around Stonetown doing our last shopping and we knew that we were going to have to do some re-packing to get the new purchases properly packed so in the van to the airport I mentioned to my partner that maybe we should spring for a day room to shower and pack--the driver overheard and called the owner who made the arrangements. I probably would not spend the money for room the next time--just give the bags to the bell captain and have a meal.
Dec 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM

We had a 5 hour wait at the airport also. There were nine of us, 5 children. We were going to go shopping or to dinner, but I'm glad we didn't because once they let us check in, it took almost 2 hours to go through customs. Plus, I would be worried about missing our flight. My suggestion, save you money shopping at all the little tourist stops and go to the airport shops. they were they best deals around!!
Have a great time, we did!
J
Dec 7th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone!!
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Does anyone know what a taxi ride would cost from the DAR airport into town? I have a tour company quoting $30 for a transfer and I'd like to compare it to the taxi rates.
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM

We recently paid $20 each way for a taxi to/from the Holiday Inn and airport. It took about 40 minutes from the airport with traffic during the day but only 15 minutes to go back to the airport at night. We got there just over two hours before our flight and it seemed to be plenty of time.
Jan 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM

And, about how much would a day room at the Holiday Inn cost?
Jan 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Sorry, don't know. I used Priority Club points.

Forgot to mention earlier that our taxi driver was crazy which may account for us getting back to the airport in 15 min. You might want to allow more than 15 min for "normal" driving speed, but then again maybe all Dar taxi drivers are crazy
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:17 PM

A day room at the Holiday Inn would be around US$90. The rooms are not huge, but very comfortable. The restaurant there is very average, but the bar and pool area are nice.

For better food try the Kempinski, or the Movenpick Hotel.

The airport is very average, and can get hot during the summer months.
Jan 19th, 2007, 12:16 AM

there's also the option of going to the Slipway...it's a sort of shopping mall complex right on the seafront...some good small restaurants, and it is easy to catch a taxi from the airport to go there